WW1 Renault EG (for sale but you probably wont be able to afford it)

Great War truck

This Renault EG has just surfaced and is for sale. It looks like the owner started restoring it but lost interest. He said he last ran it 15 years ago. Four wheel drive with a massive winch on the back and was used for towing artillery.

Look at the steering wheel to get the scale of the thing:

IM001955.jpg

IM001952.jpg

IM001951.jpg

IM001950.jpg

IM001949.jpg

IM001948.jpg

IM001947.jpg

I didnt put this in the items for sale threads as it seems more appropriate here. I can only think of one other survivor (at the Berliet foundation). My sincerest thanks to Marcel for bringing it to our attention.

Edited by Great War truck

A couple of pictures from different eras (not for reproduction):

]

Cracking pictures there Alan. The US Army did not have any wheeled heavy artillery tractors at the start of the war so borrowed a good number of Renaults (amongst others). The French were still using them at the start of WW2 hence the captured one.

Yes quite right. There is a Latil TAR01 that i think lives in Surrey. It looks very similar, but painted light blue.

Hi Tim,

No, this was definitely a Renault, because when the sheet was pulled so that I could see a bit more, I saw "Renault Billancourt" on the hub. It was not restored either. Given its location, I am surprised no one else on the forum has mentioned it before.........as some of them frequented the place. I did not know who owned it.

OK. I dont know about that one. Maybe other Richard knows about it?

Richard F is quite right. It was yellow and believed an ex-tar sprayer as the back end of the chassis was covered in sticky black gunge. If I remember correctly the rear half of the chassis was heavily reinforced with what appeared to be a subframe on top. The rear spring packs were about a foot thick above the axle and the rear crossmember would have stopped a tank. It never ran in the time it was at the yard although it didn't look like it would have needed a lot of work. I think I know who it was sold to but I'll leave that person to respond here.

- MG

Re. the Latil, it could be the one that Geoff. Radcliffe in Sussex bought in the early 70s from France along with several other WW1 vehicles including an FWD, Renault (truck not prime mover) Cohendit ( probably now the oldest full size commercial here dating from about 1907 although now fitted with a Buda TM4 engine from a Nash Quad), White etc. These have gradually been dispersed around the nation !. The Renault I am not sure about only that a paragraph in Old Motor News in the early 70s mentioned a small collection in a garden in the Paris suburbs which I think included such a vehicle.

Richard Peskett.

Is it four-wheel-steer as well?

Or is it just my eyes/optical illusion with the picture!! :-D

Alec.

Yes it is! If someone is interested and I can be of help, let me know. I don't have any connection with the owner but I would love to see this truck running again.

Marcel

Is it four-wheel-steer as well?

Or is it just my eyes/optical illusion with the picture!! :-D

Alec.

Good spot I hadn't noticed that at all.

Can someone please explain the contraption on the bulkhead / firewall / scuttle? Looks like the end of a boiler with hole for stoking the firebox.

Given that the engine's radiator is immediately in front I can only guess it's a rudimentary cabin heater, open the door for warm air.

Cracking pictures there Alan. The US Army did not have any wheeled heavy artillery tractors at the start of the war so borrowed a good number of Renaults (amongst others). The French were still using them at the start of WW2 hence the captured one.

Judging by the picture which was on ebay a while ago, they got hold of several at one go in this town :-

Renaults.jpg

Good spot I hadn't noticed that at all.

Can someone please explain the contraption on the bulkhead / firewall / scuttle? Looks like the end of a boiler with hole for stoking the firebox.

Given that the engine's radiator is immediately in front I can only guess it's a rudimentary cabin heater, open the door for warm air.

yes, i think you are right. The chain would suggest that it is easily removed/lost so i assume that you would lift off the smaller disc to let in hot air.

Neither are Renaults! The first is a Latil (in the distance) and the second a De Dion.

Hmm...perhaps I'd better start a thread for odd early vehicle photos that I've found on eBay and leave the identification to the rest of you ! It seems a shame not to post them somewhere before they disappear.

Whilst on the subject of heavy tractors it has come to mind that the US developed a 'look alike' called the 'Militor', the general idea being like the Liberty class 'B' lorry to replace all other varients to standardise everything. This being intended to replace the FWD and Nash Quads etc. I think about 150 were built but the end of hostilities put an end to further production.

Richard Peskett.

Militor.jpg

• 2 years later...