my mk 4 churchill

eddy8men

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100856[/ATTACH]

Hi All,

Oooh T31064R - there was a slight 'lottery' moment there for me, but then I realised that I had all the right numbers, but in the wrong order! :)

In my collection I have the dataplate from Churchill IV T31640R 'Lucifer', which has a great D-Day history as a Hobart's Funnies Bobbin that I'll write up here at some point.

Churchill T31640R 02.jpg

So near...

Incidentally, who was the manufacturer of this Churchill?

Best Regards,

Adrian

lol I know that feeling, there's a list somewhere of tank numbers and names, so I had a look for mine. they had the next one up and next down but not mine. bloody list :cry:

Have you tried finding the source photograph and looking in the background? You might get an indication (or at least a glimpse of yours).

lol I know that feeling, there's a list somewhere of tank numbers and names, so I had a look for mine. they had the next one up and next down but not mine. bloody list :cry:

does that allow you to fix a date for the vehicle

Don't worry about the name we can help suggest some :D

• 5 months later...

In my collection I have the dataplate from Churchill IV T31640R 'Lucifer', which has a great D-Day history as a Hobart's Funnies Bobbin that I'll write up here at some point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100875[/ATTACH]

So near...

Incidentally, who was the manufacturer of this Churchill?

Best Regards,

Adrian

T31640 is a Metro Cammell built MkII from the Contract T749 which produced 70 vehicles T.31946 to T.31670. However it was rebuilt as a MkIII with trackguards (so may have been rebuilt as an Mk.III prior to initial issue and then again as an AVRE - it survived WW2 and became 46ZR01 under the Post War numbering system. In its first iteration it was filmed serving in 33rd Army Tank Brigade in the New Forest Hampshire early in the summer of 1942. Video is on Utube. Also in this Contract is the tank T.31579 which became a Twin Ark and was rebuilt as a Mk.IV by the Churchill Trust? Utube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhw2UvnMsjg

Edited by steveo578
addition Utube htlm

Hi Steveo578,

Thank you, that is a very pleasant surprise! :D

I'd forgotten that I'd asked the question (it was some time ago), so to see a detailed reply, complete with footage of the vehicle is something else.

I have three Churchill plates (though I can't find the third at the moment :red: )

Do you (or anyone?) fancy the challenge of telling me something (anything!) about this post war plate.

Churchill 251644K 02.jpg

The plate is marked V11, Makers N° TBP, WD N° 251644K, 1/53 37ZR79.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

The only note I have on that one is that 37ZR79 was one of a number alocated to MkVII AVRE So the manufacture refered to TBP would be the firm responsible for the conversion with a date of 1/53 January 1953 -not the original manufacture which should be Vauxhall under contract M7454 which was a large contract and could well be the master contract meaning that some of the production was let to other firms. M7454 contract is hard to follow as the papers so far found are partial,conficting and a total basket case. Sorry I don't have any more but it could be still around -although some are being converted back to MkVIII and some will no doubt just be donor vehicles. THe B Card for 27ZR79 might give you a fate -assuming it is available at bovington (don't hold your breath on that one though) Many MkVII AVRE and Bridgelayer were struck off in BAOR and most likely were used as targets.

Hi Steveo578,

again, Thanks for the information on 37ZR79, it all helps. :D

Should my third Churchill plate resurface, I'll ask again, if you don't mind. However, it was a nice shiney thing, and it may have been souvineered during a recent move. :-(

Best Regards,

Adrian

• 8 months later...

Rick,

Just been trawling through this thread on the old girl and was just wondering how you planned on plugging the holes on the turret. Would it just be a case of dress the hole then stick some different diameter bar and weld the outer edge then dress the hole again. Not that it's quite that simple.

Sorry for digging up a old thread just thought I'd ask.

How is the Churchill getting on?

All the best

kyle

i was in shrewsbury yesterday collecting a new starter motor for the cromwell and while i was down there i thought it was about time i picked up the turret for the churchill (nearly 3 years after i bought it). although the back has been badly shot up the rest was in great condition, i can't wait to start restoring it but the cromwell and t16 have to come first maybe later on in the year i'll make a start on it.

hi kyle

no problem resurrecting the old churchill thread.

you pretty much nailed it in your post. the holes are all about 20mm so won't take much to plug and weld them. i'm looking forward to restoring the turret (it's the rest of the tank that scares me) :D

• 1 year later...
way too many other projects on the go this year to muck about with the churchill.

i've got 5 ww2 british armoured vehicles to do and we're only in april :)

Too many projects, not enough time.

Just win the lottery and hire some help.