North York Moors Railway - Wartime Weekend 13-15th Oct

Who will be going to Pickering ( or the other stations ) on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway for the Wartime weekend on Friday 13th to Sunday 15th October?

In the event newspaper, it is said that this years vehicle parade may be the last due to organising and marshalling problems when closing the town. The parade has also been limited in numbers.

While the main theme of the event is Home Front, German troops will be stationed at Levisham Station which is changing its name to Le Visham for the weekend and will be in 'Occupied France'.

I'll have a jeep full this year with Dad, Lynne and a friend, Alexandra with me. I'll be wandering around with my camera to record the weekend events, and intend to get to all the stations across the weekend. If you see me, run for your life or come and say hello!

width=640 height=480http://www.hmvf.co.uk/gallery?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2025&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=60ae57c5a442239a3d7dc3e2224e31f0[/img]

Steve

You only need a free pass if you want to ride on the train. There's nothing to stop you turning up for the day or weekend and visiting the town and various stations by car. There is plenty to see at all the stations along the line, but the most activity is at Pickering Town and Station.

There are a good selection of vehicles, most at Pickering.

Steve

There are a few Bedfords and Morris trucks amongst the NE and Yorkshire MVT, so it's possible they will be there. At Goathland, there's going to be a guy who runs an army field kitchen who usually has a Bedford MWD with him. There's also some US and UK staff cars in the Northern groups.

There will be jeeps everywhere, and last year there were a few in schemes different to the usual OD, notably an RAF blue jeep and a US Navy Grey jeep, plus a couple in the Mickey Mouse camo.

I'll be taking lots of pictures, an hope to produce a photo essay of the event, which will be posted on the NE MVT and Yorkshire MVT websites ( http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/nemvt/nemvt.htm - http://www.wheelsandwings.co.uk/ ).

Steve

Cheers Steve, will be my first trip up to the Yorkshire Moors as well. In the Yorkshire MVT page for the Pickering steam rally there's a rather nice Ford WOT2 pictured behind the desert yellow Humber FWD - do you know who owns it? I only know of examples in the south east (apart from one in the Muckleburgh Collection and I saw one near Loughborough in bomb disposal colours a few years back).

Cheers, Rob