Registering a Saracen for the Road

Mettlen

Hi All,

I've begun the process of getting my Saracen registered for road use. The DVLA have sent numerous documents but the main 2 seem to be;

V765 -Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number

V55/5 - Application for a first tax disc and registration of a used motor vehicle.

I've sent off the relevant information to IMPS in order to support my V765 application but I was wondering if there are any other hints, tips or pitfalls that you good folks could highlight when going through this process??

Thanks in advance

I personally can't see the relevance of

V765 -Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number.

If this is a first registration you cannot keep its original registration number which is an Army Number which only they can use. It isn't even technically a registration number/Mark in the sense DVLA know registration marks.

Surely you should be applying for an "Age Related" number

Mettlen...-what you'll get is a chap, (or chap-ess!) from your local DVLA office, who will come and 'inspect' your saracen, and make a note of it's engine and chassis number. From this they will issue you with an age-related Reg. No., mine is 225XUF, although, purely from a 'looks' point of view, I've rather naughtily spaced my number out as per Military Spacing i.e. 22 5X UF, any coppers I've come into contact with have turned a blind eye to this, slightly naughty practice. The DVLA man, and I, could not find any signs of a chassis number, so I was permitted to use the Army No. of my saracen as it's chassis no. -83 BA 78. They don't even need to see it running or driving etc, to issue you any Reg No..... all a little surreal, actually....:-D

Mettlen...-what you'll get is a chap, (or chap-ess!) from your local DVLA office, who will come and 'inspect' your saracen, and make a note of it's engine and chassis number. From this they will issue you with an age-related Reg. No., mine is 225XUF, although, purely from a 'looks' point of view, I've rather naughtily spaced my number out as per Military Spacing i.e. 22 5X UF, any coppers I've come into contact with have turned a blind eye to this, slightly naughty practice. The DVLA man, and I, could not find any signs of a chassis number, so I was permitted to use the Army No. of my saracen as it's chassis no. -83 BA 78. They don't even need to see it running or driving etc, to issue you any Reg No..... all a little surreal, actually....:-D

Yes, but you need to fill in and submit the correct form before they do this.

My experience of trying for age-related plates is that they don't inspect the vehicle if everything is in order with your documents. You need:

- Correctly filled-in V55/5

- Proof of your identity - easiest is to bring your driving licence photocard (don't need the paper bit) and register it to the address on your photocard. If you don't want to do this you may need utility bills etc to prove you live at the address you're registering it to.

- insurance certificate (usually insured on the chassis number)

- MOT certificate (or V112G - declaration of MOT exemption - if applicable)

- Proof of vehicle age; this can be either through a recognised owners club (See DVLA V765X1, 'List of vehicle owners clubs'), or an original release form indicating date first in service (usually MOD Form 654 for recently-released vehicles), or a letter from Defence Equipment and Support indicating date first in service, if they still hold the records. This can be as simple as 'This is to confirm that your vehicle of type [vehicle number], VID [chassis number] has a date in service of [date]'. Note that you have to bring an original document.

- I usually bring A4 printouts of good macro shots of vehicle ID plates, and pencil rubbings of same for good measure. You don't need the engine number as they can just register it as 'not known'.

Once you've got all the documents in order they'll charge you for a year's vehicle tax (possibly free if Historic tax class) and the £55 'first registration fee', and give you a receipt - this receipt may or may not indicate which registration number you've been allocated. If it does you may be given a V948 'Number Plate Authorisation Certificate'. The V5C and tax disc are printed centrally at DVLA Swansea and sent out to the registered keeper at the address you've given - this is normally quite fast. You then use either the V948 or your V5C to obtain number plates and away you go! Note that you are no longer allowed to have white-on-black pressed metal numberplates made for road use as they were banned in 2001 - in reality I doubt anyone really minds :cool2:

You shouldn't be using a V765 on any vehicle that has never been registered before, as it's only for 'recovering' a historic registration that the vehicle once bore.

You can pick up a V55/5 at your local DVLA office or order them online (I think it's called an Importation Pack which includes V55/4, V55/5 and some other stuff you won't need). It's worth filling it in with stuff like length/width/weight at home just to save you the time when you get there - leave any field blank that you're unsure about and they should fill it in for you. Try not to take any full-vehicle pictures as these usually just scare them and they worry about getting it wrong (and then err on the side of caution and refuse to register it)! If you can bring them a fully filled-in form and they have to do a minimum of original thinking it goes a lot smoother.

Good luck! :-D

Stone

Dear All

For what it is worth I am going through the motions with my FV1611A with the MVT, where they are sending an inspector out to witness and complete the necessary documents to forward to the DVLA as a vehicle verification exercise, which should dictate that I can get an age related plate.

The critical details will be chassis and cab data plates that will then cross back to registers and historic data.

My inspection is taking place tomorrow so I will give an update in due course.

Regards