Wartime Illustrated Parts Catalogue?

ajmac

What is the difference between a parts list and an illustrated parts catalogue?

The Loyd list has a set of drawings at the back.... what extra am I going to get in the catalogue... exploded diagrams of every major part?

I ask as I have located one to copy at a museum and it is a few hundred pages and they said it could cost a fair amount, although I have yet to chat about what is a 'fair amount' :-)

What is the difference between a parts list and an illustrated parts catalogue?

The Loyd list has a set of drawings at the back.... what extra am I going to get in the catalogue... exploded diagrams of every major part?

I ask as I have located one to copy at a museum and it is a few hundred pages and they said it could cost a fair amount, although I have yet to chat about what is a 'fair amount' :-)

I am SURE someone will correct me if I am wrong but isn't an illustrated parts catalogue a post war book, mostly illustrated with specially drawn 3D type drawings and maybe with early card index or computer type part number listing? During the war, parts lists seem to have consisted of blueprints, scaled to fit the page with lists of part numbers that were the manufacturer of the individual parts own part numbers, sometimes with an added digit or letter: for example, war time ball bearing part numbers can still be used to buy replacement bearings. In my opinion, the war time ones are better: you get to know who made bits which may set you off on the track that they were also fitted to a post war car or something and the blueprints can be scaled up to make missing parts.