Which is the Best Historic Military Vehicle Show to visit in 2011?

Graham

Hi

I keep reading about the wonderful shows on around the UK and I have finally got round to planning to visit one (or more) in 2011 - so which is/are the best one/s? I will be a visitor rather than an exhibitor, and although I live in Lancashire I am prepared to go anywhere in UK and stay overnight/s if necessary. I have built a few motorbikes in my time and I own a 'military' 1940's style Royal Enfield C and sidecar clone but I like all machines. So any ideas please?

Thanks, Graham

Yes if you have to do one only it would have to be war & peace but i found it does have quite a different feel to most shows, kind of Glastonbury with tanks, a lot more intense...

From Lancashire you could do worse than check out wheels & wings at Elvington which is turning into a really good little show, and if you're happy to go a little further afield I guarantee you wont see a more impressive pyro display than the AFV Society show at Dunchurch bank holiday August weekend...

Wherever you go enjoy it, that's the main thing..

Hi Graham,

if you want a taster of W&P, check out my fotopic site link on my signature, also plenty of shows on there, from small to big.

If you only do one, make it W&P, mind you, it will spoil you! Also, you need at least a couple of days to do it justice, this year myself and family visited for 1 day (mad I know!!! :nut:) and I missed a lot of vehicles.

Hope it helps

Mark :cool:

Hi

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I have booked my B&B near Maidstone for four nights so should manage to see some of the show! Will also try to follow up some of the other suggestions - I have been to Elvington and it is a great place to visit even with out a show so combining both sounds great.

Cheers, Graham

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I have booked my B&B near Maidstone for four nights so should manage to see some of the show! Will also try to follow up some of the other suggestions - I have been to Elvington and it is a great place to visit even with out a show so combining both sounds great.

Cheers, Graham

Try The Victory Show at Cosby.

• 3 weeks later...

We've got to blow our combined trumpet! Tanks Trucks & Firepower Show Dunchurch near Rugby August Bank Holiday 2011. Organised by Birmingham & West Midlands Area MVT and the Alvis Fighting Vehicles Society. 200 plus acres so plenty of space to camp. Two display arenas, firepower displays, entertainment Saturday & Sunday nights, bar, stalls etc. We can't garrantee it won't be dry and dusty or that it won't be wet and muddy but we do garrantee are the best power showers at any show on site to get cleaned up!!! See the latest Classic Military mag for picturers (No not of the showers!) and write up or just check the comments on this Forum for this years show.

Organised by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. So why not come and join us Graham.

Phil, Grumpy and the AFVS.

The W&P show is the biggest, but if you go, go with someone who is camping there with military vehicle,

We camp every year for the duration, and my friend came over for the weekend, 2days camping, £200, we paid less for 10 days, and if you take a vehicle you get 4 access passes.

You need a few days to see it all, and a big boot to take home all the goodies! :D

Not strictly a Military show but Woodvale rally has a lot going for it

85 military vehicles last year and hoping for 100 this year (one of these is a Huey helicopter flown in)

Was worth a trip this year just to see a Chaffee and an AMX13 racing down the runway!!!

Oh and plenty for the wife and kids as well