Radio Ham Foundation Licence.

airportable

Hi folks.

Dead chuffed, my mate and myself decided to go for the foundation licence for amature radio.

This last weekend was two days of intense learning (back to school at my age)!! but great fun and intrest. Tonight was the exam..passed both of us.:D Call signs to follow.

Any one not sure about having a go, DO IT, it was not as bad a exam as I expected at all.

Also we now have two invites to give talks, local radio club and sea cadets (who we did the course with).

Andy.

Well done both - I hope to meet you on air before too long ! I can put a RT353 or 320 on air at short notice if you are within 50 miles and want to try 4m or 6m.

As an aside the Felixstowe & District ARS has a course next weekend which is I think fully booked - if anyone in Suffolk or N. Essex is interested I can put you in touch for next time which will be in the spring.

Iain

73 de G0OZS

(Manningtree, Essex)

Hi folks.

Dead chuffed, my mate and myself decided to go for the foundation licence for amature radio.

This last weekend was two days of intense learning (back to school at my age)!! but great fun and intrest. Tonight was the exam..passed both of us.:D Call signs to follow.

Any one not sure about having a go, DO IT, it was not as bad a exam as I expected at all.

Also we now have two invites to give talks, local radio club and sea cadets (who we did the course with).

Andy.

How much does it all cost? ...-to get a radio, do the tests and get a licence?....:-)

How much does it all cost? ...-to get a radio, do the tests and get a licence?....:-)
Hi Oily,

Cost.. £22.50, for exam papers. Further £11.00... included course handbook and two days mid-day meals, spoilt us :D. Bear in mind we did a weekend crash course, will depend on local club, wether over weekend or several weeks.

Radio's.... depends what you want. Must say my only intest is in military kit which I have collected over six years or so. Radio ham kit I dont know about, or prices but we were shown kit that could be bought for less than £50 (only local short distance calls).

I consider myself not very good at learning, found the course very intresting and easy to follow. The exam was 25 multi question's, had to think a bit but got a good pass. Have to get 17 correct. Just got the licence on-line, no cost.

If you are intrested, just go for it.

Andy.

yeah? that cheap?... I'd been led to belive it was far more expensive!... military is what I'm after too.... Larkspur/No19 set or if too difficult to source now, Clansman... to go in my Saracen...:-D cheers, mate I'll be looking into this !, with much interest!:-D

• 6 years later...
Well done both - I hope to meet you on air before too long ! I can put a RT353 or 320 on air at short notice if you are within 50 miles and want to try 4m or 6m.

As an aside the Felixstowe & District ARS has a course next weekend which is I think fully booked - if anyone in Suffolk or N. Essex is interested I can put you in touch for next time which will be in the spring.

Iain

73 de G0OZS

(Manningtree, Essex)

Iain, will listen out for you, will be mobile 06/05/17 Richard M6FSC

Here's my RB44 last Saturday at the Fort Purbrook Amateur Radio Club field weekend. The top two mast sections aren't extended as it was a bit windy and I didn't want to bother with guy ropes. It's fed either by a PRC352 or a VRM5080, depending which is plugged up to the patch panel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125626&stc=1

Andy

IMG_7994aw.jpg

Andy

Looking really good - I assume the antenna is something more efficient than the EVHF ?

Iain

73 de G0OZS

It's a commercial 4m from Nevada because the EKGSA I'd use otherwise can't handle the power of the VRM5080. I'd better use the EKGSA at Overlord though, or I'll be moaned at! :cool2:

Andy

That's very impressive Andy at least it can see over the fortifications. I am currently at a MVT event at Caldicot Castle (Monmouthshire) where I am within the castle & can't see over the walls. Although I am by no means fully extended it can't match up to your length I'm afraid but managing to get out on 70cm, Okehampton & Essex best DX so far :(

I think those are my first 70cm SSB contacts for 32 years :(

IMG_20170506_205340.jpg

GW4MBS/P

That's very impressive Andy at least it can see over the fortifications. I am currently at a MVT event at Caldicot Castle (Monmouthshire) where I am within the castle & can't see over the walls. Although I am by no means fully extended it can't match up to your length I'm afraid but managing to get out on 70cm, Okehampton & Essex best DX so far :(

I think those are my first 70cm SSB contacts for 32 years :(

GW4MBS/P

Nice one, Clive! I'll see you at Overlord. :cheesy:

Andy

Yes Richard some of the roads round me are quite testing! The satnav has the cheek to refer to my road at home as "the alley" then tells me to go "off road" to my house, blooming cheek of her!

At the risk of dampening the enthusiasm a bit, you should be aware that an Amateur Foundation licence does NOT allow the holder to use ex-military radio.

See: http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/amateur-radio/guidance-for-licensees/Amateur_Radio_Licence_Guidance_for_licensees.pdf. Particularly paragraphs 2.69 and 2.70.

To legally operate ex-military radio kit on the amateur bands you require an Intermediate or Full licence.