101 info sought

antarmike

Question

• Answers 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

That's brilliant thanks

yep those tyres are weird but most likely easy to offload. The rest of it looks good

I got a heap of books for these also if you ever need them emailed over. I collected them as I wanted a 101 but when I was in the UK none going at a decent price so I got a Lightweight

Agreed. As has been said. Thats "prop rumble"Nothing to do with the diff.

Still scary the first time it happens. They are excellent cross country. Sean Ryan took Land Rover's Marketing Director for a cross country, well more of a flight than a drive, in his. The guy was beaming. His comment was 'Why did we stop making theses!'

I drove my mates home 100 miles when he bought it and never heard the rumble but i wasn't paying for the fuel so it was never on over run:cool2: The first time we heard it was running down a slight hill on the way to the pub, I seemed to occur between drive and over run in that slack bit when you not driving or slowing. We thought we had a major problem. we put it down to the rear propshaft running at a steep angle:blush: My landy did exactly the same thing when i lifted the ride height but i sorted that by putting wedges between the spring and the axle to point the diff back down and get the flanges parallel and that sorted it. It's a very odd grumble:shocked:

The tyres also make a great noise when you lob it into a corner a bit to fast and roll the bar grips onto their edges, Feels like the wheels are going to fall off with all the viberation:D They go like stink for a landy even with the ambulance body. We never got to off road it cos it was a bit to wide and a very nice example.

Not yet got card Vehicle record Card for 101, but 101 club and register have already copied it!

This from Les, the club's historian:-

Quote"

Hendon do hold the card for your vehicle 95601067A which was built in September 1977 as a chassis cab under contract WV 12074 and stored at Ashchurch, awaiting ambulance conversion by Marshalls of Cambridge.

The card for 01AM15 shows it was converted as a G/S under Mashalls FVE 21A/230 contract and entered service in 1983, when it was returned to Ashchurch. In 1984 it was fitted out as a Rapier Tracking Radar Tractor (TRT), by 18 Command Workshops, as a planned repair, with the Asset Code 1829 0750. The vehicle was then issued to RAF West Raynham, where it served with 66 Sqn RAF Regt as part of 6 Wing defending USAF airfields until being struck off and sold at ADT, Boongate in 1992.

The British Rapier system used 3 vehicles in deployment a 24V winch fitted 101 Firing Unit Tractor (FUT) to tow the launch trailer, also loaded with 4 Rapier missiles, guidance equipment and radio. Along with a 12V winch fitted 101 Tracking Radar Tractor (TRT) to tow the Blindfire Radar trailer, also loaded with 4 Rapier missiles and guidance equipment. Finally a 109 Land Rover was also used to tow a reload trailer with 9 Rapier missiles and loaded with the unit's other supplies and kit.

Les "unquote

This from Les, the 101 club historian, in response to question whether they !)! would have been built without winch, since it was originally destined to become an Ambulance..

Quote"

Yes all 70 of the USAF owned RAF 6 Wing Rapier 101 vehicles were built as 12V chassis cab vehicles without winches, by Land Rover under contract number WV12074, as they were originally destined to be ambulance conversions. As we all know ambulances originally didn't have winches or rear NATO towing pintles when in service!

However when it was decided to convert the vehicles as G/S models for the USAF all 70 vehicles were fitted with the Marshalls pattern pop-rivetted rear bodies, as opposed to the normal spot welded Land Rover versions, under Marshalls FVE 21A/230 contract!

The first 35 of these vehicles, 00AM72 - 01AM06, were converted to 24V electrical systems to be launcher FUTs and the other 35 vehicles 01AM07 - 01AM41 remaining as 12V to be TRTs! All the vehicles were also fitted with Nokken winches, Rapier missile storage racks each side of the rear body, floor FUT or TRT equipment storage frames and other necessary Rapier gear. We believe this was all done at 18 Command workshops but some of the work could have been carried out by Land Rover at Solihull as there's evidence that a number of the vehicles received OUT OF GATE REWORK in 1983?

"unquote.

Les uses the phrase "USAF owned" and "convert the vehicles as G/S models for the USAF"

But they were operated by the RAF regiment, and have RAF registrations. It all sounds a bit complicated. Can anyone say how did the RAF and USAF tie in together? Surely they remained RAF but under whose control?

Can anyone explain the command structure and "ownership" of RAF regiment vehicles stationed on USAF bases to protect American aircraft from air attack?

Where was 18 command Workshop and was this a REME unit?

Edited by antarmike

Further reading tells me that 66 Squadron RAF Regiment was USAF funded..

Quote"

West Rainham... No 4 hanger was the home of 66 Squadron RAF Regiment (one of the 3 USAF funded Rapier Squadrons of 6 Wing, RAF Regiment who's HQ was based in No 2 hanger along with the Rapier Training Unit).

" unquote

and that 66 sqdrn defended Lakenheath and Mildenhall

"No. 6 Wing - RAF West Raynham. (Defends USAF bases)

No. 19 Squadron - RAF Brize Norton - Rapier FSC (RAF Fairford and RAF Upper Heyford).

No. 20 Squadron - RAF Honington - Rapier FSC (RAF Alconbury, Woodbridge and Bentwaters).

No. 66 Squadron - RAF West Raynham - Rapier FSC (RAF Mildenhall and Lakenheath)."

Edited by antarmike

More from Les Adams, the 101 club Hitorian,

Quote"

I gather the USAF owned the the 6 Wing vehicles and also funded the 3 RAF Regt Sqns primarily to defend their airfield bases in England and, even though they were based at other RAF airfields, they were independant of the RAF airfield command.

I own 00AM97, a Rapier FUT that served with 19 Sqn RAF Regt based in a hanger/building at the back of Brize Norton airfield, which defended Fairford and Heyford USAF bases! According to the Sqn history - "On 1 July 1984 19 Sqn was reformed at RAF Brize Norton as one of three Squadrons of 6 Wing RAF Regiment, responsible for the defence of USAF airfields in Southern England as part of the United Kingdom Air Defence System. The Squadron is an autonomous Short Range Air Defence (SHORAD) unit equipped with the Rapier all-weather Blindfire surface-to-air missile system, capable of deployment to other theatres of operation at short notice by land, sea or air."

I also gather that 66 Sqn was involved by doing a tour in the 1st Gulf war and left their vehicles and equipment in the Gulf, to be manned by 20 Sqn when the were relieved by them to return home at the end of the tour. However I don't know if 19 Sqn was involved in the Gulf?

"Unquote.

So 66 Squadron did a tour during Op Granby, No sign of any markings on my 101 though.

According to RAF History, 66 replaced 20, not the other way round, so 66 may have been out there with 20 Squadrons vehicles and kit, not the other war around.

No 20 Squadron, RAF Regiment, leaves on 11 August 1990 for Cyprus with Rapier air defence missiles. Later transfers to Bahrain.

(Britains small wars has 20 Squadron RAF Regiment deployed to Cyprus August 1990. One flight deployed to Muharraq late August 1990, second flight joined first in the middle of October 1990, relieved by 66 Sqn in Nov 1990, returned to UK after setting up airbase defence of Muharraq.)

66 Squadron arrived on 14th Nov 1990, replacing 20 Squadron

66 Squadron RAF Regiment were at Muharraq, Bahrain: Stationed there were 58 Light Armoured Sqn, 66 Sqn (Rapier), 4 Wing HQ, 33 Wing HQ

Edited by antarmike

That looks ridiculous on those tyres Mike. Bet it's got more grip and off road ability than standard bar grips though.

What I'd give for that left hand rear bumperette! I've retrofitted a Nokken on my vehicles but haven't been able to aquire the rear bumperette which includes winch fairlead mounting. If you remove it to do cross member repairs I'd be interested in borrowing it as a template to copy and modify one of mine standard ones.

Are you sticking with the home made truck cab or going back to canvas roof? All the hoops were available from the 101 club shop, last I looked, for ridiculously cheap prices.

What I wouldn't give for a genuine front winch roller mount. Mine has a ballsed up steel fabrication, Genuine ones listed on ebay but look at the price!!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Land+Rover+F/C+101''+Winch+fair+lead+housing+NOS+598669

That looks ridiculous on those tyres Mike. Bet it's got more grip and off road ability than standard bar grips though.

Will these look any better?

101tyres001.jpg

101tyres003.jpg

101tyres002.jpg

Went to Vass's today with a view to buying 5 Part worn 9.00x16 Michelin XCL's and came away with four brand new Metric XZL's, plus one part worn for the spare...OOUUUUCH

Not that the part worn XCL's were bad, but these seemed better value...(I know it is all relative)

Edited by antarmike

Not been here for a while but followed your posts on the 101 forum. Those XZLs are the only tyres worth putting on the original rims, any XCLs will be at least 12 years old, bar slicks are lethal and Petlas are agricultural. My XCLs have loads of tread but the sidewalls are cracking. Craddocks are supposed to be making new wider rims which will greatly increase the tyre choice.

The Rapier tractors are probably the best GS 101s you can get plus as you've found, the club has all the records for the RAF ones.

I remember that dealer demo day Tony, great fun trying to dig the ruts deeper with the 101 to try and stop the Freelanders (unsuccessfully!). Always had plenty of passengers for rides round the off road course.

Most of us live with the rumble, some have gone to the extent of rolling axles or double carden UJs but you never get rid of it. Only change worth making is a GKN 2015 front prop. Of course if you load it with 4 missiles, all the associated kit and hook a Blindfire trailer on the back it goes away as the load compresses the springs and decreases the prop angles.

Posts in the 101 club forum say these vehicles were USAF owned, but crewed by RAF Regiment personnel, who they sponsored. Obviously the vehicles had RAF registrations, but would they have had an RAF roundel?

Do any "in service" pictures of the RAF regiment vehicles exist to show their livery, markings etc?

I can only find one picture in service and it doesn't have a roundel, AFAIK none of them did. They will have had a plate on the front with a unit designation (it's covered in Clive's painting guide)

Picture of 00AM95 at Berkeley Castle in 2002 showing the plate (and roundel it shouldn't have)

DCP_1228.jpg

What I wouldn't give for a genuine front winch roller mount. Mine has a ballsed up steel fabrication, Genuine ones listed on ebay but look at the price!!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Land+Rover+F/C+101''+Winch+fair+lead+housing+NOS+598669

You're probably better of with the steel fabrication or if it's really untidy making your own version. The genuine ones are cast and renowned for cracking especially if dealing with a side load. Certainly not worth buying a genuine one at that price.

You're probably better of with the steel fabrication or if it's really untidy making your own version. The genuine ones are cast and renowned for cracking especially if dealing with a side load. Certainly not worth buying a genuine one at that price.

Parts book seems to show a steel plate stiffener ( Front Spreader Plate 582492) that is sandwiched between guide bush and bumper, and then two narrow stiffeners on the inside ( Vertical spreader, inner/ Outer 598672 / 598673).

Looking at photographs, I cannot see the external stiffening plate (582492) on other Nokken 101's

Edited by antarmike