101 info sought

antarmike

Question

• Answers 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good place Mike. The 101's have a few funnies though! If you change oil or the filter, take the bottom of the oil pump off and pack with Petroleum jelly, this re primes the pump. Has the front axle started to sound like it's about to disintegarte yet? Scared the *** out of me the first time.

Good place Mike. The 101's have a few funnies though! If you change oil or the filter, take the bottom of the oil pump off and pack with Petroleum jelly, this re primes the pump. Has the front axle started to sound like it's about to disintegarte yet? Scared the *** out of me the first time.

I may be an idiot, but I have only run the engine. It was packed in among other vehicles when I saw it and agreed to buy it, so driving was not an option. Time will tell if I have bought "a Pig in a Poke"

Many people are scared of 101's because they look so big. They are actually very easy to work on and access to the engine and gearbox is easy if the load bed is kept clear. If the chassis and other bits look good then it should be ok. You ran the engine so splits in manifolds etc have probably been ruled out. I just pray it has brakes for you.

I have been Landy-less for some years now,

I have in the past had Petrol 2A 88", Diesel (2.25) 2A 88", Series 2b 1 1/2 ton F.C (110"), 80" series one. and a 127" first with 2.5Td then with 200Tdi.

Never had one with the Buick lump in so that will be new....

Used to working on Solihull's best so I hope I like the 101"

It has a Nokken which also I hope works.

In the past I have had Aeroparts front Capstan winch, Aeroparts rear PTO Capstan winch, Land-Rovers own Hydraulic drum winch, and several Fairey 5000 mechanical drum winches so again the Nokken will be something new....

Bottom of rear cross member will need welding before too long, but as a welder that is not a problem. I don't know how near to original spec I am going to take it. It is on the wrong wheels and tyres at present, and that will get changed. It had power steering conversion. and if that works well enough it will stay, but the way it is done it will be an hours work to remove it, and get back to "Power steering by Armstrong"

Edited by antarmike

As Chairman of the 101 Forward Control Club & Register, (at least until the AGM!), I would like to say 'Welcome to our particular section of the Madhouse.'

As someone else said, 101s are not that complicated, although they do have a few quirks of their own:nut:.

I can recommend the Club Forum as a wealth of friendly help and information online, much as the HMVF is - if you fit in here, you'll fit in there as well:D.

http://www.101club.org, and click on Forums.

Cheers, John

As Chairman of the 101 Forward Control Club & Register, (at least until the AGM!), I would like to say 'Welcome to our particular section of the Madhouse.'

As someone else said, 101s are not that complicated, although they do have a few quirks of their own:nut:.

I can recommend the Club Forum as a wealth of friendly help and information online, much as the HMVF is - if you fit in here, you'll fit in there as well:D.

http://www.101club.org, and click on Forums.

Cheers, John

Yes seem like a good crowd. I will put an intro onto that board soon. Cheers

No not been advertised anywhere, I saw it on a Race Prep guys forecourt. witrh a forsale sign in the window.

Civilian registration ARR736Y

Military reg 01 AM 15 (RAF??)

Chassis 95601067 A

Contract FVE 21 A/ 230

Code AVC 1826

at pesent it is on 31 x 15.5 - 15 Agric floatation tyres so sits low and looks most odd.

Not sure if they are still available but Clive Elliott had a pair (F&R) of 101 axles for sale recently.

Open to 'sensible' offer if they are still available. Axles are quite rare for these and if new mortgage prices attached.......

Just a thought m8. :-)

101 club and register has just got back to me:-

The register confirms that this truck was RAF.

It was struck off from RAF Boongate on 01 11 1992.

It is logged as a GS Rapier trt and was supplied to Ashchurch holding depot.

Factory in date is 20 09 1977 and Factory out date is 27 09 1977.

Edited by antarmike

That looks ridiculous on those tyres Mike. Bet it's got more grip and off road ability than standard bar grips though.

What I'd give for that left hand rear bumperette! I've retrofitted a Nokken on my vehicles but haven't been able to aquire the rear bumperette which includes winch fairlead mounting. If you remove it to do cross member repairs I'd be interested in borrowing it as a template to copy and modify one of mine standard ones.

Are you sticking with the home made truck cab or going back to canvas roof? All the hoops were available from the 101 club shop, last I looked, for ridiculously cheap prices.

That looks ridiculous on those tyres Mike. Bet it's got more grip and off road ability than standard bar grips though.

What I'd give for that left hand rear bumperette! I've retrofitted a Nokken on my vehicles but haven't been able to aquire the rear bumperette which includes winch fairlead mounting. If you remove it to do cross member repairs I'd be interested in borrowing it as a template to copy and modify one of mine standard ones.

Are you sticking with the home made truck cab or going back to canvas roof? All the hoops were available from the 101 club shop, last I looked, for ridiculously cheap prices.

I might get the hoops whilst I can but won,t fit them at the moment.

I plan to fit my 13.5KVa three phase genny in the back, and use it for site welding jobs that come my way. Having no hood seems sensible for this use, It will be in a locked shed every night, so all should be away from prying eyes.

Pretty sure I have 5 proper rims sorted, so now I am looking for rubber. I may keep these wheels to bang on if a job comes up for welding in the middle of the Fens, They look like they will cope quite well...

Edited by antarmike

The tyre look suspiciously like those fitted to a Supacat.

What does the 101 club charge you as a member to trace the vehicle's history?

Is there a limit to how many they will do that you own?

Will they do non Land Rover vehicles as well?

Do they provide paperwork supporting their findings?

R

They haven't really traced history, the build data probably comes from leyland paperwork, not Military sources. I just put question on their message board and answer came back within minutes, so I guess they have this rudimentary info on quite a lot of the 101's.

You would have to ask them about multiple info or other vehicles. The club runs with charitable aims, and is not intended to make a profit for anyone.

I will be contacting RAF Museum at Hendon soon to see if they have record card.