Was it really that much fun being in the british army in germany in the 70s/80s ?

afvnut75

• 3 years later...
On 9/26/2010 at 9:05 AM, schliesser92 said:

Celle was home to 94 (Locating) Regt RA and 14 Signal Regt (EW).

I was an army wife in 1976. My husband was with the reme lad Irish hussars. I'm sure we lived in Menden? Am I right? Very long time ago. 

On 7/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, Patsy said:

I was an army wife in 1976. My husband was with the reme lad Irish hussars. I'm sure we lived in Menden? Am I right? Very long time ago. 

I’m afraid I can’t answer your question Patsy, although Menden (as well as Minden) were army bases. I was with LAD REME 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards in the late 70s but as you say, it is a long time ago. I’m surprised someone hasn’t given a definitive answer though. Keep hoping.

Regards, Steve.

• 1 month later...

From 1986 to 1987 i worked for 19 support in an MT role. However i spent 3 months on shifts at the watch house in Bunde calling in the faces to names on our KGB board. Passport size photos with names etc on a great big angled board. The jib was to identify the KGB peaple leaving the compound in their isuzu troopers or mercs and call the red line which would give you the white mice. I went out often the 19 support guys on chases and harrasment jobs. There were several of us attached to them from different RCT mt units. White mice cars were normally ford 3ltr granadas. Some had blues 2s and some didnt. They would get in front of the Soxmis ops and the blues behind. The 19 guys got out and checked them over. Az we were not RMP we were not allowed to leave the vehicle. We serviced the white fleet as well. The training camp was if i remember in normandy barracks sennelager. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/30/2011 at 4:15 PM, gazzaw said:

I remember a camp we used, in late 70s and early 80s, for an exercise base over a few major exercises called Pinewood Camp, I think it was near Liebenau west of Neinburg (where we had a friendly Engineer Camp attached to us) but can't see it on Google maps etc. I remember it was in front of one of the largest Ammo depots in GDR, some Ordnance bods might have been based there.

Anyone else been there?

gary

Just added - found info here http://baor-locations.co.uk/PinewoodCamp.aspx

Hi Gary. I served in Pinewood Camp Liebenau 1967-1971 and then again 1975- till it closed in April 1978 was last man out and still have a daily diary kept of the last six months before closure