Vickers Utility Tractor

25 pounder

25 pounder I discovered the drive train of a Vickers Utility Tractor.........Upper structure has been removed after the war , so only the mechanical parts available

Bit vague! Do you mean the lower hull/chassis suspension -tracks sprockets, steering brakes and gearbox:??? as drive train would normally be the grearbox steering brakes and final drives.

25 pounder

that's it , upper hull has been removed , drive train , sprockets , etc , all there

So effectively it was used as a log skidder or the basis for a dumb tracked trailer or grain hopper.

Is the complete trackwork still there (the tracks in particular will be difficult to obtain) and which country is it in? it's a factor in whether it worth the effort in transporting as obtaining a motor and rebuilding the structure are not a minor consideration and would have to be taken into account to make an offer -otherwise it's only a donor vehicle.

Steve

• 1 month later...
mate of mine will be intresed in it he just rebuilding the one found in france

Is this the one now offered for sale on MilWeb? http://milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=54898&cat=1

1936 Vickers Carden Loyd Utility Tractor

We have been lead to believe this is the only one of its type left in preservation. It was captured by the Germans in France during WW11 and later used by a French farmer as a tractor.It was found by its present owner in 2006 and is being fully restored in our workshops. A unique opportunity to own a unique Military vehicle, serious enquiries only please.

01924 825200 or 07831 629173

Bob Fenton

Probably :-( I could have considered taking a punt on it assuming the price was realistic -it's about the only tracked vehicle that I could accomodate and with relatively simple structure it might have been a nice little project as I get older- it's especially relevant as the factory that produced it is about a km down the road. But when they start using terms like

A unique opportunity to own a unique Military vehicle, serious enquiries only please.

A) its probably not unique I've seen a photo of a vickers marked version before

B) the chances of it being a ex BEF rather than a Belgian version are minimal and of course

C) lets stick the price sky high its got a Nazi connection:shocked:. so I'm sure we'll see it with WH licence plate before long:argh:

Steve

Hi the Vicker's utility tractor advertised on milweb belongs to a very good friend of mine.Iv'e seen this tractor several times it's virtualy 95% original,according to the tank museum who i believe have asked if there's any chance of a loan.Stated it will be the only original recorded running example in the world That's wot i call unique.Yes it is British and not Belgian and yes it came from France a few year's ago complete with original data plate,engine,tracks wheels body etc.The original engine is now being restored.

happydayz123

Hi the Vicker's utility tractor advertised on milweb belongs to a very good friend of mine.Iv'e seen this tractor several times it's virtualy 95% original

I stand corrected -So the vehicle under restoration is the Vickers utility I mentioned in post#8 which is complete mechanically including the its air filter stack and has its plate still in place. The add was a bit vague and especially as no photos were shown -using the photo of the experimental Vickers Utility with the Bernither Machine gun is not helpful.

Steve

Hi the Vicker's utility tractor advertised on milweb belongs to a very good friend of mine.Iv'e seen this tractor several times it's virtualy 95% original,according to the tank museum who i believe have asked if there's any chance of a loan.Stated it will be the only original recorded running example in the world That's wot i call unique.Yes it is British and not Belgian and yes it came from France a few year's ago complete with original data plate,engine,tracks wheels body etc.The original engine is now being restored.

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the info. If you please, sharing photos would be of great help to identify and sell this vehicle.

Can you confirm whether or not the Vickers your friend is selling is the same one Marcel discovered in France four years ago? See below. It could fit the description in the MilWeb ad "used by a French farmer as a tractor.It was found by its present owner in 2006".

Thanks,

Hanno

I discovered this one in France some 4 years ago while looking at a Cat D9. I heard a couple of years ago that it is now somewhere in the south of the UK, don't have a name though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15701&d=1258060571

attachment.php?attachmentid=15702&d=1258060571

Edited by mcspool

• 3 years later...

A friend of mine is restoring and ex-Belgian Cavalry version (see back issue of Wheels & Tracks magazine).

Would it be possible to bring him in contact with your friend? Please PM me.

Anyone else got any leads on information and/or parts? Please let me know!

rups bij de loods in Vliss..jpg

b4w6k0.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Thanks to Stu Bob and Jan are now in contact!

Also:

I noticed Bob's Utility Tractor is featured in the September issue of CMV:

http://www.kelseyshop.co.uk/store/displayitem.asp?sid=6246&id=65169

A RELIC OF THE BEF RESTORED

Scott Smith takes a look at the gem in the Fenton family’s collection, a Vickers-Carden-Loyd Utility Tractor.

septconts2.jpg

• 9 years later...

Can't believe it has been 10 years since that shoot. From memory it appeared at the Yorkshire Wartime Experience a couple of times and then I next spotted it for sale on Milweb about five/six years ago. 

I was later told that the Bren probably wouldn't have been part of the set-up. 

002.jpg

• Like 1