Tanks in town 2010

As some of you may know last weekend the annual Tanks in Town event took place in and around Mons in Belgium.Having taken my Sherman over three times in 2005,2006 and 2007 and rode on Mike Phelps Hellcat with Jack in 2009 this year I went as a tourist and spectator. It was also a business trip as I was delivering a Diamond T 980 winch and a shed load of canvas for european customers attending the same event.

Here are a few pictures of some of the vehicles there, I was told there were 82 armoured vehicles there and chatting to some of the owners about A+E 2012 they seemed very interested , so Jack you had better think big.

1943 Caterpillar R4

MONS2010015.jpg

MONS2010005.jpg

MONS2010013.jpg

There were three Dragons there one owned by the Copemans

MONS2010025.jpg

MONS2010041.jpg

MONS2010040.jpg

MONS2010042.jpg

Allis Chalmers M4 High Speed Tractors

MONS2010026.jpg

MONS2010037.jpg

M5 HST

MONS2010054.jpg

MONS2010087.jpg

M18 Hellcats

MONS2010032.jpg

MONS2010036.jpg

MONS2010034.jpg

MONS2010035.jpg

MONS2010055.jpg

Shermans

MONS2010048.jpg

MONS2010049.jpg

M7 Priest

MONS2010079.jpg

Edited by Jim Clark

Locust

MONS2010077.jpg

MONS2010076.jpg

Weasel

MONS2010074.jpg

MONS2010075.jpg

M36 Jacksons

MONS2010080.jpg

M3 and M5 Stuarts

MONS2010065.jpg

MONS2010028.jpg

Halftracks

MONS2010071.jpg

MONS2010072.jpg

Harleys

MONS2010052.jpg

And a shed load of soft skins

MONS2010047.jpg

MONS2010097.jpg

MONS2010096.jpg

MONS2010095.jpg

MONS2010091.jpg

MONS2010093.jpg

MONS2010094.jpg

MONS2010062.jpg

There was even a guy taking pictures with a 1942 camera in the square on Sunday evening

MONS2010098.jpg

MONS2010099.jpg

Met up with Tony Pearson and Stef also John Blackman and many other Brits, once again a fantastic weekend only spoilt by the rain on Sunday night just before the column left Mons square .

Jim.

Oh, just one more thing on my way to Mons I had a problem with my Chevy pickup in the last services before Dover I would like to thank the man with the Hillman Tilly for helping me , he was on his way to Detling with some friends in a Jeep and a Dodge. I did not get his name but if any one on the forum knows who he is please pass on my thanks

Jim

great photos Jim ,rode the halftrack of Chris Till`s again this year ,saturday saw brisk trading around the 30 or so stalls with punters grabing a bargin or two,the weather held out , sunday looked a little dodgy weather wise and after a heavy rain the night before there was talk of not running the armour on the off road sections , early doors we set off not knowing if the full (usual )route would be taken, the first village stop was no problem with locals taking to the streets to see the convoy pass ,loaded with (ammo) sweets for any children in the firing line we made a slow pace to the field and wood sections ,with an odd breakdown on the route from a variety of vehicles , as we approched the first tight section over a small bridge and into a narrow gully with high banks at the sides the whole convoy stopped ,our half track team sent out scouts to report back and found the guys on dispatch bikes taking a fence down ,a humvee was stuck in the mud and had to be moved to one side ,on recovery of this, we continued on and through a very rutted and boggy hole ,fine driving from all who got through and i do know our pilot had very stiff arms the next day ,just before the dinner stop as we traveled on through the quary and woodland part we past the remains of a derilict halftrack which looks like it`s been laid to rest many years ago,again the convoy stopped ,on this section there is a big bomb hole area and the route takes you down and up a very steep bank,trouble ahead the tanks with flat rubber track pads had trouble getting up the other side ,so a german stug (i think please correct if i`m wrong ) with the metal lugged tracks spearheaded us through ,Warwick Bolton in his m20 made a fine six attempt charge (he`ll say it was less than six) on the said hill and mastered it much to the pleasure of the local inhabitants who cheered wildly.

dinner stop in the windy field was uneventfull with the highlight been two MOD ration packs taken along and a consignment of belgium beer for none drivers in our vehicle ,breath tests being taken before and after the run on the drivers so t-total for them ,

with the odd spit -spot of rain which just held off we made a steady snake through the outlying village and back into the center of MONS ,barriers had been put up on the curbsides and the crowds had turned out inspite of threating showers ,a grand parkup in the center of MONS was a fantastic site with wall to wall armour .rows of tanks both British and US , and right infront of the townhall the Copeland brothers dragon wagon center stage, i`m sure many of the hmvf readers will have seen this monumental restoration just think of the fuel consumption on all this heavy metal ,a short shower saw the crowds leave and an early return to the vehicles for loading and return to home ,all in all a great weekend well run and very social ,fine food great belgium beer and a warm welcome from locals and other entrants ,

MORE NEWS TO FOLLOW FROM YOUR EUROPEAN EVENTS INDEPENDENT REPORTER/ DUCKER AND DIVER

JONNY LOOT

yes a fine event with many fantastic vehicles i did notice though at the park up in mons square there was about 20 usual vehicles (jeeps,dodges and the like )where parked up right in the middle of the square that seemed to be official vehicles!!!! while none official usual vehicles where sent out of the square at the other end (the exit)

then at the end of the colum tanks where still trying to get in and manouver into place its a shame the officials and there vehicles did not show a bit more consideration for larger more interesting vehicles im sure if theyed been driving a tank theyed have played hell with the jeep and dodge owmers ,,,thanks for a fab weekend 50 cal

, I was told there were 82 armoured vehicles there and chatting to some of the owners about A+E 2012 they seemed very interested , so Jack you had better think big.

Oi - no more flipping ideas from you Jim!

• 5 months later...