Bovington Tank Museum reserve collection

happydayz123

Hi can anyone help on a rescent visit to the Bovington tank museum,on speaking to one of the members of staff there. He stated they had well over 150 vehicles in their reserve collection,just wondered if anyone had any pics of the reserve collection or a link .Iv'e tried the internet with no luck,i did notice the Boarhound Armoured car wasn't on display anymore!! still wot a superb collection many thanks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I to have been around the reserve collection. My job enabled me to come across a WW2 German Jerrican. Bovington at the time were in the middle of doing the Tiger Tank so i offered the can to them in return to have a look around the collection. Spent a day looking around, some aspects better than whats on display.

Joris

enough work to do for them for the next 100 years it seems!

It would be nice if there was some form of concerted programme for the preservation of this stuff, some time ago a Churchill 3in gun carrier (visible in one photo) was rescued in Kent but almost 10 years on it is still in the same condition as it was when it was tipped off the transporter -it's not really on display to the public many of it brothers have disappeared elsewhere and very little effort seems to be expended on the holes in the wartime list -need I mention Cavalier, Centaur, Challenger and no doubt that Sherman hulk represents the thousands of Shermans in British service, OK I know they have a MkV 17pdr but a standard MkIII or V would be nice considering the number that were in service, or do they suffer from a niave delusion that one day a private owner might donate a Sherman to the museum, without making an effort.

Meanwhile summer 2010 Tracklink (page 10) manages to report the museums own exhibit Sherman IIIAY (M4A2 76 HVSS) as a 17pdr armed Sherman Firefly:shocked:

I think I'll go and have a lie down or I might cause my blood pressure to go off scale:(

Steve

Meanwhile summer 2010 Tracklink (page 10) manages to report the museums own exhibit Sherman IIIAY (M4A2 76 HVSS) as a 17pdr armed Sherman Firefly:shocked:

I think I'll go and have a lie down or I might cause my blood pressure to go off scale:(

Steve

I couldn't believe that either Steve, makes you think doesn't it!

Don't get me started on A24 and A30, both relatively easy static restorations.

Adrian Barrell

Don't get me started on A24 and A30,

At least some-one else is of similar mind:angry

I see the Churchill Mk2 (ex Beverley) still has the inappropriate piece of pipe stuck in the hull besa mount as a gateguard for the museum accuracy is paramount and I'm sure even at this late date a No 19 Besa mount could be scrounged from some old wreck.

When it comes down to it Bovington is still one of the greatest museums but it really needs to get back to the time when it was more enthusiast- not administrator led.

Steve

The Museum has never had a policy of doing anything other than cosmetic restorations.

This is partially policy and partially the cost.

A lot of modern vehicles which have been donated by the army in running condition in the past have been left out-side to rot.

I also donated examples of the two war-time fibre British Army Tank Helmets about 20 years ago which have never been on display and someone I spoke to several years ago commented that he could not remember them in storage.

REME 245

The Museum has never had a policy of doing anything other than cosmetic restorations.

This is partially policy and partially the cost.

Fair point -the museum workshops were never expected to do large scale refurbishments, but that's not the point of this thread- it's what is in the reserve collection and by inference why the public doesn't get to view it, like your WW2 tank helmets -which could be on one of the manequins in the main collection- perhaps.

I mentioned it before, but as an example the Kent Churchill 3inch gun carrier as shown in the photos cannot be beaten for lack of care and interest. OK it was recovered in a bad way -possibly used as a target for Wallbuster or early HESH weapons large areas were flame cut before burial but that is no excuse to use it as a skip for spare track -if the museum wants a skip I'm sure there are some knocking around- demand has been reduced during the economic downturn,:( but chucking track into a skip isn't a good idea either -they won't know what they have got, the stuff at the bottom will never been seen again.:nut:

A further point is that without access to the reserve collection the exhibits are effectively not under any public scruitiny -stuff disappears -even stuff that is not in the reserve collection ends up elsewhere without the opportunity for the public to scrutinise policy.

The forum did what should be runners in the Tiger 131 thread sometime ago, but donated runners should never left to rot -even the comparatively mild Dorset climate.

Steve

Hi Guys,

Some very kind member has just sent me a list of restored and unrespored vehicle's in the reserve collection very interesting.

American m74 arv

fv421 cargo carrier

oxford carrier

fv400 carrier

shortland mk3

cruiser a24 cavalier

m4a2 sherman

british caernarvon tank exsp

brazi lengesa armoured car

british a30 challenger

west german apc

british volvo oversnow vehicle

snowtrac ts4

france amx vtt apc

british experimental scorpion tank

american M7b1 howitzer preist

british AEC 6x6 armoured command vehical

chinese yw750 ambulance

chinese yw701 command post

yugoslavian bovm apc

american m75 apc

american m59 apc

m1a1 wrecker

jagd chiefton tank

german sp at gun

chinese 653 arv

centurian arv

centurian avre

american t16 carrier

candian sherman grissly m4a1

churchill tank x2

several ferrets

several russian tanks/amroured cars ?

carden loyd carrier

french panard vcr apc

humber pigs

loyd carrier

assault tank t14

boarhound t18

american m548

Lastly also stated if it's not German there not really interested as this is what the paying public come to see HOW WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought - but perhaps there would be merit in offering some of these to MV enthusiasts who are not in a position to buy such machines but who would be prepared to restore and run them, handing back to the museum after a mutually agreeable period of time - say 5 to 10 years.That way the kit gets saved and restored without drain on the public purse, MV owners get the satisfaction of using and working on these bits of kit and there is a chance to change vehicles after the agreed period of time thus ensuriing a change of vehicles at the shows.....

happydayz123

Some very kind member has just sent me a list of restored and unrespored vehicle's in the reserve collection very interesting.

Yes very interesting- however there are some points of query-

There should be 2 A24 Cavaliers in the collection the SPTA Cavalier recovered in 1985 and another recovered in 1992-5 from OTA.

Mention is made of a A30 Challenger- so has it been returned from I of W where it has been since about 1999.

There are 2 Churchills these should be T251949 and T251952 (fictious number) however certainly T251952 has resided in I of W for sometime now.

The M7B1 should possibly be a ex Bundeswehr M7B2 and I'm fairly certain it went to the U.S. many years ago.

Lastly also stated if it's not German there not really interested as this is what the paying public come to see HOW WRONG

I'm so glad you think that statement is wrong -I don't think I'll air my views of the cabbage obsessed public:banghead::argh:

Steve

ArtistsRifles Re: Bovington Tank Museum reserve collection

Just a thought - but perhaps there would be merit in offering some of these to MV enthusiasts who are not in a position to buy such machines but who would be prepared to restore and run them, ..............That way the kit gets saved and restored without drain on the public purse,

Hi Neil

That would be nice idea but probably a legal minefield and bovington doesn't get money from the "public purse" -ie taxation apart from the usual lottery education grants etc.

Looking at the T72 shown in the photos I certainly take your point though.

Steve

Hi Neil

That would be nice idea but probably a legal minefield and bovington doesn't get money from the "public purse" -ie taxation apart from the usual lottery education grants etc.

Looking at the T72 shown in the photos I certainly take your point though.

Steve

Hi Steve - amend my post then to read "without drain on Bovingtons own resources" :D

As regards the legal aspect - I personally think if the will were there it is something Bovington could overcome - perhaps in the form of a lease arrangement between the museum and a MV enthusiast? Give am enthusiast the choice between a full blown restoration project or a light renovation back to running order as examples.

It was an interesting concept and, like you, I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

A shame as perhaps then this rare and unique kit could be saved for posterity

Yes very interesting- however there are some points of query-

There should be 2 A24 Cavaliers in the collection the SPTA Cavalier recovered in 1985 and another recovered in 1992-5 from OTA.

Mention is made of a A30 Challenger- so has it been returned from I of W where it has been since about 1999.

There are 2 Churchills these should be T251949 and T251952 (fictious number) however certainly T251952 has resided in I of W for sometime now.

The M7B1 should possibly be a ex Bundeswehr M7B2 and I'm fairly certain it went to the U.S. many years ago.

I'm so glad you think that statement is wrong -I don't think I'll air my views of the cabbage obsessed public:banghead::argh:

Steve

The other A24 is on IOW though the original one lost its turret to the IWM Centaur-AVRE swap to France......

A30 still on IOW.

M7B2 went to Littlefield many years ago via Clive Evans.

Unfortunately, the Tank Museum need to entertain the masses as that's where a lot of their income comes from. One things for certain, they would not raise millions from us enthusiasts........ Though I do believe that your average family don't know or indeed care whether they are looking at a Tiger, a Tortoise or a tin box.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

Adrian Barrell

Steve

The other A24 is on IOW though the original one lost its turret to the IWM Centaur-AVRE swap to France......

So do they have both OTA Cavaliers Blue and Red (pink)? I was fairly sure A30 hadn't returned- there also didn't seem to be any Comets in the reserve list- I assume the mobile 21ZR** is still at Bovington and the statics example -but no reserves.

Loosing the Cavalier turret to IWM is a bit remiss as Red turret was well "sh**ged"

M7B2 went to Littlefield many years ago via Clive Evans.
Yes I was in the "no-names no pack drill" mode

Though I do believe that your average family don't know or indeed care whether they are looking at a Tiger, a Tortoise or a tin box.
For a moment I had the impression of a tortoise in a tin box:rofl:

Steve

ArtistsRifles

- amend my post then to read "without drain on Bovingtons own resources" :D

Neil

Just thought I better clarify before you're bounced by a Bovy appologist:D

I absolutely agree that your idea has alot of merit- and it's certainly that I wouldn't benefit from it as I have neither cash,skill or space to foster an AFV, but I can certainly see the merit in allowing some-one like yourself to do so. However I remember the Bovington transcription thing the "powers that be" were less than impressed with that idea (which I think was David Fletchers brain child) as they thought valuable information would get into the public domain without the necessary payments -result relatively stalled programme and still huge amounts of un-accessable information- try to get a simple T number to ZR for example.

Steve