OK folks - after lengthy discussions with Kev 'the convoy' Hollis and major bullying interference advice from Jim, A&E 2012 is on!! 3rd weekend in June.

The gauntlet has been thrown down on many occasions and I think John Blackmans last sentence in this months CMV tipped us over the edge.

It may seem a long way off but we can start to get to work now so that we can make it even better in 2012. I am currently looking at price of getting some award made and they will be in honour of Adrian 'breakdown' Barrel to be awarded to the person who can create the biggest road block in town and the Mike 'Top Gun' Phelps award, awarded to the person who can get the most speeding tickets in the convoy :coffee:

It may well be a different format next time and this is due to Jim and Martins hare brained ideas ( I am sure they drink during the day :whistle: ) but included visiting more villages, places of interest like the marshalling areas of the Big Red 1 and Piddlehinton Camp which if you know the history was marshaling camp D6 for US troops on they way to Omaha. Whilst they were camped there Glenn Miller played to them in the hall there and we could get back the John Miller, (Glenn Miller's Nephew) swing band to play the same place his uncle did during the war!

Also I would like to visit the waterproofing tank that was used for waterproofing of vehicles on the build up to D-Day. Plus I would like to visit the underground bunker of the 'Home Guard' resistance units who would spring up behind the Germans if they had invaded. We could also visit Tarrant Rushton and the HQ's of the SOE. We can go and see where the Rangers and our Commando's trained and the HQ of the 29th Div..

The jewel in the crown for me would be to actually get to Portland and Weymouth where they embarked!

One idea was perhaps we could make it a two day event where on the Saturday night we could camp in an historic location and them make our way back to through villages and Dorchester again then back to Maiden Newton...but that one would be up to the tankers and you guys as it wouldn't be cheap on fuel.

Anyway and lot to play for and this time I will have funding in place.

We would at least like to have the double amount of tanks this time and we need to cap the total amount of vehicles (trying not to use the word invite only/first come first served) as last time was just about right but would be great to see the double amount of 'foot' soldiers. But one thing for sure all armour would have to be on rubbers. And no beards - you listening Bernard...just joking!)

Ideally (and this will take research on our behalf) it would be great to see a representation of a convoy that would of been seen going through the County - but i think we pretty much had that last time.

- No sleep until A&E.

JB!

Edited by Jack
Trying to capitalise the E in the title!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great news Jack, i have heard so much positive feedback from both those who attended and from those who heard about A&E through the grape vine.

It was certainly a life changing moment for me, especially me being a newby to the Military vehicle movement. I am proud to be able to say "I was there".

Although still a newby it was great to be with like minded people out on the road and in camp, much nicer than being parked in a show all day.

Can i put my "J" thing and me forward as entrants for the next one -please.

Regards, Tim & Choosy Suzy

Think I can speak for Mr Scott and say put our names down again .... he may even bring something larger this time .... i may even bring the wife ... it was an awsome experiance and in my humble oppinion shouldn't try to be repeated, but should be as Jack suggests different but along the same theme.

Two days sounds good , saving for fuel as of now . :-D

We would at least like to have the double amount of tanks this time and we need to cap the total amount of vehicles (trying not to use the word invite only/first come first served) as last time was just about right but would be great to see the double amount of 'foot' soldiers. But one thing for sure all armour would have to be on rubbers.

- No sleep until A&E.

JB!

B*GGER BU*GER BUG*ER!!!

That means I can't go and neither can (Bren Gun) Carriers.

Why is this - I understood you had permission from the Dorset County roads Dept that steel tecks were OK?

B*GGER BU*GER BUG*ER!!!

Why is this - I understood you had permission from the Dorset County roads Dept that steel tecks were OK?

Hi John, think we can get away with Bren's but we did leave some tracks from the Stuart which are still there:shocked:

You missing a year?

What's wrong with an event in 2011? Is it already too late to plan for one.

Isn't there some Olympic stuff going on in Weymouth a few weeks later? They may not be keen on vehicles getting anywhere near and interfering with last minute preparations.

You missing a year?

What's wrong with an event in 2011? Is it already too late to plan for one.

Isn't there some Olympic stuff going on in Weymouth a few weeks later? They may not be keen on vehicles getting anywhere near and interfering with last minute preparations.

2011 a bit too early for me - gives us time to work it and get it right. As you may remember I had no plan this time around and funny enough I don't want one next time but there a few things I would like to fine tune.

Weymouth - yes you are right and that's why we could go there this year but would like to if we could in 2014 when we would like to do something 'massive' for the 70th :sweat:

B*GGER BU*GER BUG*ER!!!

John - what is the weight of your tank?

Can't miss the next one. Start planning now

Action list.

1. Buy appropriate MV.(how do I explain to wife?)

2. Make sure it is not common, so not a jeep. (makes Jack's decision to allow it easier)

3. Persuade the wife tents are fun.

4. Persuade Jack that Land Rovers took part in the D-day landing. They did exist in WW2 honest, i have seen them in films.

All the above seems hard or impossible.

Can I sign on as a foot soldier (come photographer) but please do mot make me walk the whole route.

Mike

OK folks - after lengthy discussions with Kev 'the convoy' Hollis and major bullying interference advice from Jim, A&E 2012 is on!! 3rd weekend in June.

I am currently looking at price of getting some award made and they will be in honour of Adrian 'breakdown' Barrel to be awarded to the person who can create the biggest road block in town - No sleep until A&E.

JB!

Oi! I didn't actually block any roads!

Jack,

Fantastic news, you and your team deserve a "hats off" i'm sure that we can all contribute in some way to assist!

Maybe as you considered this years Softskin attendance just right then those in attendance should be the veterans for 2012?? sounds like a fair way to resolve things to me !!??

Looking forward already

OMG! You have made my weekend Jack. It's still raining here on Isle of Wight but to see this thread and 'that' smile once again returns. Can we book the cubes, the truck, the gun, the tent and kitchen sink in please (check my Facebook pictures out) love you loads Jack and it's nice to see you back here xxxxxxx

I thought it was a WLF Roadshow deomonstration...

They were gonna shackle up and drag something round weather it conked or not :D

You're telling me! I had the back doors open to fix the pump, turned round to get a spanner out of my toolbox and the Sherman was disappearing up the road on tow! Took me ages to catch it......

You're telling me! I had the back doors open to fix the pump, turned round to get a spanner out of my toolbox and the Sherman was disappearing up the road on tow! Took me ages to catch it......

That actually did make me laugh out loud!!!

- I do have a picture somewhere of one of the WLF's hooking up to a mobility scooter.......poor bloke - he was only going shopping!!!!