Loyd Carrier

Its a bit quite of late, what with the nights drawing in and the workshop all that much cooler.

The replica Data plates came through well with the pattern 3D printed by a friend and the friendly Brass foundry posting he the casting back within the week of receiving the plastic pattern. I had the solidworks drawing scaled up bu 1.4% to account for contracting in the Brass. The castings were etch primed and then painted satin black with the high spots knocked off with emery cloth. Not bad. I made four, but three were snapped up within a couple of days leaving me with just the one.

30891093711_b6a05071d8_z.jpg

The original from a Ford built Loyd in Norway and the plastic 3D printed pattern.

30862789732_1432486c99_z.jpg

The stages of finishing the casting.

Yesterdays work.

The RHS track adjuster was pressed back together a few weeks ago but the LHS unit was rather damaged and needed a lot of fettling before it was ready to paint and then fit. I've left as much of the range damage as possible where it doesn't hinder the alignment or operation of the adjuster.

29610249084_c9e1ca0d75_z.jpg

RHS track adjuster just after going back together.

30891025491_21a5f47663_z.jpg

LHS track adjuster, the tie bolts goes through the centre to link it to the RHS adjuster

30677816690_8aa6e3021e_z.jpg

LHS track adjuster, note damage to the side.

8376299107_f0f2f50ef7_z.jpg

The LHS adjuster can be seen (on the left), at this point both adjusters where jammed into the axle tube, as it came off the range target.

As an aside the farm building that this photo was taken in is now refurbished and used as a microbrewery!

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Clive!

30861898830_74af13dfe8_z.jpg

I was lucky enough to borrow the drivers seat, gear linkage and late model engine cover yesterday, now I need to get the copies made...

Also measured up the instrument panels.

31220520385_a9059d86b2_z.jpg

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well done looking good made a nice job of fabricating the seat supports, will you build the other three one behind driver the other two either side of driver? you are doing a great job.:laugh:

my Loyd was transported by a haulier the other day not to happy they bent the tilt frame work and broken three of the cast iron supports where the hoops site in split them and shattered one of them any one know were i can get some more??:-( or were i can get some new one cast

Well done looking good made a nice job of fabricating the seat supports, will you build the other three one behind driver the other two either side of driver? you are doing a great job.:laugh:

my Loyd was transported by a haulier the other day not to happy they bent the tilt frame work and broken three of the cast iron supports where the hoops site in split them and shattered one of them any one know were i can get some more??:-( or were i can get some new one cast

We are going to make all the seats. 15 in total for 4 projects.

We have pattens for the 2 C shaped pices under the side seats but don't have a patten for the support tube that goes under the inside front corner of the side seats.

You should be Ok to use an old casting as a patten and cast directly. Just fill any drilled holes with filler and take to a local foundry.

This is what Alastair did with these parts.

I have had small parts cast from origanal bits with very good results.

Peter.

I should take this opertunity to thank Peter for all his valuable time spent helping the Loyd project along. Family and work schedule means I have made little progress this last twelve months. The original target was to have it running on its tracks by new year, but the revised target is to have the brakes and drive sprockets all done by the new year. Bogies by middle of of 2018.

We are going to make all the seats. 15 in total for 4 projects.

We have pattens for the 2 C shaped pices under the side seats but don't have a patten for the support tube that goes under the inside front corner of the side seats.

You should be Ok to use an old casting as a patten and cast directly. Just fill any drilled holes with filler and take to a local foundry.

This is what Alastair did with these parts.

I have had small parts cast from origanal bits with very good results.

Peter.

Thanks Peter i will try this just need to find a local foundry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I made a replacement throttle linkage over christmas and cut all the new brake rods to length, the throttle is 5mm dia and the clutch & brake rods are 3/8".  The throttle is an odd arrangement with a central guide for the cranked linkage to prevent it bending.

38709104604_5615d85d9b_k.jpg

24551105467_7de0c77c07_k.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Another small part repaired. This bar fits between the uprights of the tow hitch and is an odd size C section (if anyone has any 30" lengths of 2 1/2" by 1" C section for sale could you let me know) Alastair wanted to keep as much of the original metal as possible as well as some of the range damage. I had previously straightened the bar with heat and a press so I just had to cut back to good metal and weld in new. Alastair forgot to give me the other end piece so he will weld that on also there are 2 piece to weld on in the middle which Alistair didn't have details for at the time. 

Peter.

IMG_20190214_114429.jpg

IMG_20190214_121048.jpg

IMG_20190214_144444.jpg

IMG_20190214_144458.jpg

IMG_20190214_160020.jpg

IMG_20190214_160029.jpg