Introduction, 2 Republic World War one trucks for sale

flathead1946

First off I would like to introduce my self. I am a collector and restorer of world war 2 Dodge trucks. I curently have a finished 1942 WC53 Carrryall and I am about half way done with a 1942 Command car. Ive restored or owned 4 WC53, M170 Jeep, 3 1946 Willys, M100 trailer and had a M3a1 Scout car. I currently live in Georgia USA and travel all over chasing parts and stuff. I recenlty found these two republic trucks that the owner want to sell. He is open to offers. Both have complete drivetrains (engines, tranny drive shafts, and wheels. Both are missing the rear bodies. Both have the front end sheet metal. one has its headlights. Im not shre what year they are but appear to be war trucks. The sheet metal is in good shape with some surface rust. Located in charlotte, NC. email if you want some pictures. Thanks

Sheesh, and here was me cross-posting the link from the WW2 Dodge forum as I thought GWT might know someone who was interested.

Day late and Dollar short, that's me.

Gordon

GWT, why not post a shot of a Republic truck just so we know what we're missing?

Gordon

First welcome, especially another Dodge specalist. Second, you don't happen to know the original thickness of WC brake shoe linings do you?

Tony,

I hesitate to answer your question on this thread as it is off-topic. I thought you being a WC expert, the technical info would be to hand.

Drum diam. 14 1/8"

Lining thickness 1/4"

Tim,

Your photo of the Republic, its looks recent rather than an original, with flags and metal poles holding signs in the background.

I use this as I am interested in the trailer behind and was querying as to its origin, military or local manufacture. Considering the background it may be coupled up for the event and not necessarily related.

The truck sides are strake with external supports where as the trailer has a full width floor. Also the axles on the trailer appear very light in cross section. An interesting design of trailer almost a conversion of a horse drawn unit.

I can not make out the writing clearing on the side of the truck.Any other photos of this?

Doug

Thanks Richard. I've hunted everywhere for those dimensions. As for an 'Expert', isn't that a person who knows the answer to someone else's problem? :-D

Tim, it was quite usual to use horse drawn trailers converted to mechanical tow, which could then go back to horses.

I think Republics were also made under licence in Sweden following the end of the war.

I know nothing else about that other one, but think it quite likely that it is a civilian one in military disguise. Another Republic was advertised for sale on E Bay a while back in US Air Service scheme. Anyway, here are the ones that this thread started off about:

SDC10516.jpg

SDC10517.jpg

SDC105182.jpg

SDC105202.jpg

SDC105212.jpg

They appear to be very restorable.

Republics were not uncommon in Australia in civilian use. From period documentation a Model "C", Chain drive 2 ton (US) and in shaft or internal gear configuration - Model "F" 3/4 ton, Model "E" 1 ton, Model "A" 2 ton and a Model "T" 3 ton. Early in the conflict the ACMF purchased 5 units. I shaft driven and 4 chain drive. The former remained in country but the 4 ended up in England, after operation in Egypt, where they were sold at Wars end.....so what have you chaps done with them?? Joking!! Regards....Rod

Republic were the largest manufacturer of trucks in the USA in the !920's.

As to these trucks it would appear they are not of WW1 period but rather being early towards mid 1920's.

This is based on the radiator top tank, being flat alloy casting with no flutting as in the earlier tanks.

Solid rubber tyres were standard on the heavier trucks ( 3.5 ton plus) Where as pneumatics were on the lighter models.

The 4 cylinder engine was standard for the time, provided by a number of different engine manufacturers.

These comments are based on material on hand being used in the restoration of two Republics here. One being of 1925 and the second of 1928. The second truck carries the ID plate of Republic/American La France but the same radiator design.

Both have the Lycoming 6 cylinder engine.

Doug