Nato Batteries

• 1 month later...

Did anyone ever follow up on this? There's some information about the NATO 6TN batteries, including sizes here: http://www.gylling.no/enersys/FV%20OMM%209602-0749%20Rev%2000.pdf

Note that the electrical specifications relate to the sealed "Armasafe" variants rather than conventional wet lead-acids, you won't get 1225 amps from one of those!

Andy

• 5 months later...
The Odyssey PC2250 is a replacement for the 6TN and is of a similar spec. Very expensive at around £300-£400 but shop around, for example;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280627432956&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Iain

The Odyssey batteries are manufactured by Enersys, aka Hawker! This looks like their commercial version of the 6TNMF.

Incidentally, Terry Brooks has some used but good Hawkers for sale at the moment.

Andy

I have now bought two for my Milly to replace the two new batts bought for the M1008 a year ago!

Now my chevy will get its new(ish) batteries and I will get to find out just how good the Odyssey batteries are in comparison to the Hawker military issue ones i've used before.

With carriage I have paid around £350, so should be worth it.

Iain

With carriage I have paid around £350, so should be worth it. Iain

Ouch!

The important thing is to keep them charged using a modern pulse charger that knows how to deal with AGM batteries - see other threads for discussions/details.

Andy

Ouch!

The important thing is to keep them charged using a modern pulse charger that knows how to deal with AGM batteries - see other threads for discussions/details.

Andy

Hi Andy

I agree, but batteries are expensive and so is the carriage for about 80kgs. I have tried used Hawker power batts and they are good but I have had one or two duffers which is the risk you take by buying any surplus parts.

Having put up with flat batts and poor starting, long term storage and intermittent usage etc.

I feel that, for me, its worth it, and the price is less than half the closest I could find.

To look after them I am going to use an Optimate 6, it should do the trick according to the blurb, but time will tell! :drive:

Cheers

Iain

• 1 year later...

The Odysseys are no doubt very good but I have also had some success with Varta lead acid 6TN's, 120ah and much better quality than the cheaper chinese copies. Have had these fitted in a number of my vehicles for between 2 and 3 years now and still cranking like good uns in spite of very little use, and never been charged.. Price circa £180 so double the chinese ones but half the price of the Odyssey.