Hi all.

Adrian asked a question in relation to recovering tanks for the coming A&E trip which got me thinking in respect of recovery for all types of vehicles attending this event.

Both Mike and I will be carrying straight bars and a holly bones.

We both carry a comprehensive tool kit plus some other magical items.

My idea in relation to breakdowns for this event is really very straight forward.

If you breakdown, our first priority is to move you to a place of safety or out of the way if you are blocking the convoy. Easily done with a straight bar or chains etc.

Once everyone is clear, then the problem can be assessed, a fix completed or plans to get you back safety to the campsite where proper investigations can be completed.

Mike, Vince and I plan to be ready with a mobile workshop at the campsite in case the need arises.

I have a pair of two way radios so Mike and I will be in constant touch with each other - (mobile phones are great but not much use if there is no service and I wouldn’t hear it in the Ward anyway). Saying that - my mobile phone will be on so if you want the number in case - feel free to come and ask for it.

A couple of things vehicle owners can do to make recovery an easier process if required:

First thing, breaking down is not something to be ashamed of. I’ve lost count of the times I have offered a stranded MV owner a hand but been refused as - “there’s no problem mate” only to pass the same MV owner at the side of the road a couple of hours later. Both Mike and I will be on call to assist should anyone need a hand, a bit of advice or general pee-taking!

Can I suggest if you don’t already know it, then gel up on specific do’s and don’ts for recovery of your own vehicle and carry your vehicle repair manuals with you. A small but highly motivated base repair section will be operating at the campsite (when not engaged in tea drinking) so anyone who has any issues with their vehicles feel free to come and see us. All at very reasonable hourly rates!!!

As Adrian pointed out in a previous post - if you have any specific items of equipment required for the recovery of your vehicle, please bring it with you. Adapters, chains, etc. Also other items such as correctly sized wheel nut sockets for your type of vehicle. Both Wards carry toolkits but I can guarantee you may well be the one with the odd wheel nut size of which we don’t carry or have to hand.

Most owners carry some sort of spares pack, points, condenser, plugs and leads, etc. Easy to throw in the back of the wagon. Could save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Last thing I can think of - recovery in WWII was a very simple affair. The recovery mechanics didn’t much care if they damaged the bodywork or bent the bumper of the vehicle they were recovering. As we are a bit more conscious of your pride and joy, WWII recovery techniques are not fully appropriate for your toys.

I intend to carry some planking so if your vehicle needs a suspended tow, we can lift it without damaging the bodywork. Can I suggest if you have time, a piece of substantial wood, cut to around the length of your bumper be carried if you have the space?

I hoping no one has the unfortunate problem of grinding to a halt but I, more than anyone know how unpredictable these old vehicles can be so a bit of pre-planning goes a long way. I have been stranded on more than a few occasions and have learnt by my past experiences.

If anyone can think of anything else feel free to add to this thread.

Last thing, no laughing at me if I break down - you never know if it will come back and haunt you!!!

Here’s hoping for a breakdown free A&E - see you there.

Markheliops

Im taking my Halftrack down on my mates Scania 8 wheeler roll on roll of lorry , so im sure John would offer any help to recover a dead vehicle from the side of the road as needed assuming that it would fit on the back and dosnt weigh more than 18 tons !!

Just a thought peeps!

I shall be on site from Wednesday morning and Mike/Vince/Mrs Knees shall be on site from Early Friday morning if not before.

If anyone gets a problem on route that leaves them in a pickle - you can call me on my mobile or call Jack to get hold of me.

Personally I think Jack will be too busy to answer any phone calls so maybe a call straight to me instead.

Mobile number is on my personal page if you feel inclined to make a note of it.

Scrap the above as there is no where to put my number:

07972 451678 - (no heavy breathers thanx)

Regards

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops
added phone number

Just a thought peeps!

I shall be on site from Wednesday morning and Mike/Vince/Mrs Knees shall be on site from Early Friday morning if not before.

If anyone gets a problem on route that leaves them in a pickle - you can call me on my mobile or call Jack to get hold of me.

Personally I think Jack will be too busy to answer any phone calls so maybe a call straight to me instead.

Mobile number is on my personal page if you feel inclined to make a note of it.

Scrap the above as there is no where to put my number:

07972 451678 - (no heavy breathers thanx)

Regards

Markheliops

Thanks Mark that is a great help.