RAF Commer W.B. Tractor

thedawnpatrol

I've just bought this nice Drivers Instruction Book for an RAF Commer W.B. Tractor.

These would have pulled the famous Queen Mary aircraft trailers.

Now, my question is, how many of these are still about ? I've found two photos one original with a nice Hurricane on it and a restored one, anyone know who it belongs to ?

I would dearly like one of these, and coupled with a QM and an a/c fuselage would make a fantastic display.

Whats out there ? Commers ? trailers ?

Image028.jpg

Image027.jpg

Hurricane Sudan 1942.jpg

• Like 1

I would have thought that meant 8' 0" Wheel Base rather than model W B.

I think that is a Q2.

It certainly does Adrian it was to deferentiate between different versions of the Q2 .. The later RAF Commer tractor was refered to as the 10ft WB

TED

this Book is dated August 1940. So would that make the 8ft W.B the early version ?

Jules

It certainly does Adrian it was to deferentiate between different versions of the Q2 .. The later RAF Commer tractor was refered to as the 10ft WB

TED

I think you're right. It was there in 98 and 99 and has vanished off my radar ever since - but I bet Richard, Ted or Les know where it ended up. I agree with you, I'd love to see it with a proper trailer. Great idea. Finding either the tractor or trailer would be a mission methinks.

Mark

I think you're right. It was there in 98 and 99 and has vanished off my radar ever since - but I bet Richard, Ted or Les know where it ended up. I agree with you, I'd love to see it with a proper trailer. Great idea. Finding either the tractor or trailer would be a mission methinks.

Mark

Mark,

Looking back through my archives, I see there was a 1941 Commer Q2 entered in the 1997 and 1999 W&P shows. The owner's location was Sidcup, then in '99, Bexley.

• 1 month later...
The 10' wb Q2......that would have been a normal control (bonneted) cab model?

There's one of those preserved in the Netherlands, complete with QM trailer + Harvard fuselage. It was bought from a collector in the UK. I do not have pics of it, but I will take some snaps next time when I see it.

There's one of those preserved in the Netherlands, complete with QM trailer + Harvard fuselage. It was bought from a collector in the UK. I do not have pics of it, but I will take some snaps next time when I see it.

Hanno, I wonder if it is still in Holland, because the last time I saw it was at least five years ago and it was for sale at the time.

I hope it surfaces soon as it was a great display!

Alex

• 5 years later...
I've just bought this nice Drivers Instruction Book for an RAF Commer W.B. Tractor.

These would have pulled the famous Queen Mary aircraft trailers.

Now, my question is, how many of these are still about ? I've found two photos one original with a nice Hurricane on it and a restored one, anyone know who it belongs to ?

I would dearly like one of these, and coupled with a QM and an a/c fuselage would make a fantastic display.

Whats out there ? Commers ? trailers ?

Hi Guys, I see this is an old thread, but, if you still have it I would love a copy of your drivers manual. Ross

• 7 years later...

Here's a nice period photo of the 8'0'' wheelbase Commer Q2 Tractor.

There are only a few survivors, one in a stunning RAF blue-black paint scheme, the other is a wreck and will hopefully restored one day. There may be more, but I can't see there would be more than a handful? 

315940029_1846839655664628_3010895927689137183_n.thumb.jpg.fff737ea498c1bb0a7ce04eda3015197.jpg of 

• Like 1