Hi there

Rick W think verry hard before getting a gaz 67 and go to see it (not like me 4 photos ) you need the propper wheels and engine you must remember that it will be in very poor state and you canot get parts for them so you need to be prity handy i do have a number of parts and have a contact in poland i8f you need any help give me text or go to my web site http://www.jerrysjeeps.com all the best jerry

• 9 months later...

Is the engine in the GAZ-67B a copy of a US engine like all the previous trucks like the four and six wheeled GAZ-AA and GAZ-AAA? As it got some of its insperation from the US Jeep are there any Jeep parts that fit?

I have also heard that the axles are very likely to be from a GAZ-69 and that this was done in service as the parts for GAZ-67B ran out of stock?

• 7 months later...

G'Day from NZ,

I am a Model A Ford enthusiast and have heard that the Russians carried on production of the Model A (GAZ) car for many years after Henry Ford sold them a complete Model A factory in 1929. I also heard a story about a US soldier coming across a 4WD Russian jeep during the Vietnam war and when he had a proper look at it he discovered that the engine, gear box and much of the running gear was recognisable as Model A! Until now I have always discounted this story as being just another one of those unlikely and fanciful myths, but when I saw this post my jaw dropped a full six inches, as that motor and gear box are instantly recognisable as pure Model A Ford!!

So what year was this GAZ jeep made?

Cheers,

KK

The factory in Gorki was founded by Ford in the 30's so it's no surprise that the engine looks like a Ford engine.

As an aside to this - the Gorkii plant was considered by Ford (Europe) as a location to build the old DE-1 Granada's (the hatchback ones) and an investigative team was sent out. They came back with a resounding rejection for two reasons:

1) On entering the plant they were issued umbrellas - because the oil feed lines were leaking like sieves overhead.

2) They were there for 2 weeks. At the end of the first week they were bored with taking exactly the same route to and from the plant every day so they asked the drivers to go a different route. the answer was a resounding "Nyet" and that was that. The next day one of the Russians from the plant took a Fordie to one side and quietly told him that all around the plant was the Soviet ICBM belt and if they strayed off the designated route without authorisation they would get shot....

That was the end of the plan to build Granada's in Russia - although as one wise guy pointed out - they would have come with an in-built safety feature - they would have glowed in the dark!! :nut:

The GAZ-A was made till 1936. But the next model, GAZ-M used the same engine with very minor changes /and some GAZ-M were fitted with a 6 cyl. engine/ and was produced till 1950. The truck version of the GAZ-A, the GAZ-AA was produced as late as 1950! And the GAZ-67 jeep was built until 1953-54. There were also Russian power generators with the GAZ-A engine. So, the Soviets built that engine for quite a long period and fitted it several different vehicles. I read somewhere, that over a Million of the GAZ-A/GAZ-M engines were manufactured! Here's my own engine, not an early GAZ-A, but a later GAZ-M I believe.

G'Day from NZ,

I am a Model A Ford enthusiast and have heard that the Russians carried on production of the Model A (GAZ) car for many years after Henry Ford sold them a complete Model A factory in 1929. I also heard a story about a US soldier coming across a 4WD Russian jeep during the Vietnam war and when he had a proper look at it he discovered that the engine, gear box and much of the running gear was recognisable as Model A! Until now I have always discounted this story as being just another one of those unlikely and fanciful myths, but when I saw this post my jaw dropped a full six inches, as that motor and gear box are instantly recognisable as pure Model A Ford!!

So what year was this GAZ jeep made?

Cheers,

KK

003.jpg

• 5 months later...

Assuming the 3.1 litre Ford Model A engine is the same as the GAZ67 engine you can buy a full range of high quality replacement parts from Snyders in the USA. Believe it or not, every single part for the Model A Ford is still being manufactured today! Just Google "Snyders Model A Ford" and you will be there. From your photo the GAZ67 motor appears the same as the Model A motor, but I can see minor differences (eg the Model A has a different water pump).

The Claas farm machinery company used an up-rated Model A motor in its combine harvesters and they are still obtainable if you look hard enough. I think they had higher compression and a different carburetor and water pump, but were otherwise identical. Might be well suited to the GAZ67.

Cheers,

KK