Centurion AVRE 165

jpg1982

Hi all, I have recently started working at a driver experience centre. Tucked away in the corner of the workshop is a Centurion AVRE 165 with dozer blade. The tank is being restored by a couple of old guys who used to drive them in the army, but they have not managed to find any history on this tank. Can anyone help me? the military reg plate has long since gone, are there any other markings on the tank anywhere that may help identify it?

I will try and post some photos of it later on, i also have a short video of the engine starting up and running for the first time in 2 years. I have also found 3 more centurions in the yard 2 of which have no turrets and had a lot of parts removed but they do have military reg numbers on them. The third one is either a FV4006 or FV4018 as it has had the turret replaced with a huge winch, this is still in a salvagable condition.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Thanks Jason

There should be a plate in the drivers compartment, probably painted over in silver, but with registration details on it. I have records of Centurions from a survey I did some years ago, if you pass on the VRNs (registration numbers) of the others you have there I might be able to help.

jpg1982

I have also found 3 more centurions in the yard 2 of which have no turrets and had a lot of parts removed but they do have military reg numbers on them. The third one is either a FV4006 or FV4018 as it has had the turret replaced with a huge winch, this is still in a salvagable condition.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Hi Jason

Only FV 4006 and the earlier Mk1 ARV had a winch the BARV FV4018 didn't have one. The numbers would have been useful on the unidentified tanks. there were many turretless Centurions surviving comparatively late on -The Wedgies, the Cent. drivers training vehicles converted from redunant ARKS and at least 2 weapons establishments Shruburyness and Eskmeals had turretless vehicles for various purposes.

Steve

Do you know if there are any parts going on the spare cents. could do with a few bits for mine ! If you have a look at my gallery you will see what the FV4018 BARV looks like its like nothing else and you would know if you have one or not . Good Luck:D

Thanks for the info guys. I will try and get back to you with the military reg plates and any id plates that i find. With regards to the centurion parts, i believe that the 2 turretless cents will be broken for parts and we also have new parts hidden away:shocked: If you do a search for Manby motorplex the contact info is on the website. The owner is probably known to people on here as he has many 432s, alvis stalwarts, tatras and also a Sherman tank and a couple of ferets. He has had them for years, many used to be used for the company the rest were his own collection, but none of it has been touched now for many years ( till i came along:-D:cool2:).

I know he is quite keen to reduce the size of the collection at the moment as we need to create more space for some new arrivals.

Thanks again Jason