Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Use of CMP Field Gun Tractors by British Field Regiments in WW2

Default Re: Use of CMP Field Gun Tractors by British Field Regiments in WW2

Quote Originally Posted by alan turner View Post
    The RA Museums Chevy is basically a running shell with a correct front half but a replica back half. The driving position is really good as you are nearly sitting on the floor per F1 and handling is good compared to Morris quad which I have also tried.

The back has the right shape but no interior lockers and a bench seat with seat belts for when we (I) used to give kids of all ages rides around some of the old Arsenal site, surprising how 80 year old gunners are still the quickest at tgetting into the vehicle compared with ladies half their age who need to be virtually lifted on.

What engine are you going to use? the Chevy unit is slightly bigger than the bedford but bedford parts are easier to get hold of which is why so many were converted by the REME before demob. I think Richard Farrant has plenty of tales about that.

heres a few photos all my own.

alan
    Hi Alan.
    Sorry about the delay replying, lots of reasons, none of them very good. Thanks for all the help. My Chevy has the original Chevy 6 cylinder engine, matching the number on the data plate, and it runs pretty well (currently no brakes though). It is virtually complete inside, in fact the only thing I have identified as missing are the front rifle holders and the holder for the plotting board tripod has rotted away. Even the map light is present and they have usually gone walkabout. The rear is pretty original but some of the skinning and some bin doors have been replaced, but using original fittings. attached are some photos as arrived (from Norway) and with body stripped down for restoration.
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  

2. As arrived Jan 10.jpg  

003.jpg  

As arrived Jan 10.jpg  

2. Advertisement

The pictures of CH4207286 on page 1 was originally marked as Canadian as it had a Canadian contract number of LV329. It was later changed to British! I know because I used to own the vehicle.

Talking Re: Use of CMP Field Gun Tractors by British Field Regiments in WW2

She is in good hands the owner puts down carpet so our boots dont get her muddy and as for going out in the rain well just dont ask(for display purposes only) and "no way will I use 4 wheel drive the gears will get dirty."
    Almost only kidding But he is a good bloke and is looking after her.
    just because I am parranoid does not mean they are not out to get me

Quote Originally Posted by alan turner View Post
    The RA Museums Chevy is basically a running shell with a correct front half but a replica back half. The driving position is really good as you are nearly sitting on the floor per F1 and handling is good compared to Morris quad which I have also tried.

The back has the right shape but no interior lockers and a bench seat with seat belts for when we (I) used to give kids of all ages rides around some of the old Arsenal site, surprising how 80 year old gunners are still the quickest at tgetting into the vehicle compared with ladies half their age who need to be virtually lifted on.
    Hi Alan, could this be the same Quad back in the 1970's?

"Imperial War Museum's Chevrolet Quad 4x4, field artillery tractor. Duxford 1970's"
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard64pics/7747708994/

Quote Originally Posted by mcspool View Post
    Hi Alan, could this be the same Quad back in the 1970's?

"Imperial War Museum's Chevrolet Quad 4x4, field artillery tractor. Duxford 1970's"
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/richard64pics/7747708994/
    Hi Hanno,
    I know a little of the history of the Quad at the Firepower museum. It came to the Royal Artillery museum at the Rotunda in Woolwich from the Muckleburgh museum and was reputed to be an ex-garage breakdown truck. This was borne out by the top of the rear body being cut away for the crane. The engine was a Bedford 28hp, which I distinctly remember having a Vauxhall Motors rebuild plate for the 1950's on the block. It went to the REME Workshops at Colchester as an apprentice project to restore. For a reason that I do not remember, it was later sideloaded to the REME Workshops at Ashford for apprentices to once again work on it. Somehow it ended it up in my section of the Workshops and I had to supervise an apprentice doing some of the work on it. The restoration was done with materials available and not to the greatest detail, the curator at the time was just happy to have it running and to closely represent its original appearance. There was no budget to go out and procure correct parts. I seem to think before it came to us it had 11.00-20 runflat tyres fitted and it gave a very hard ride.

To sum up, it could have gone from Duxford to Muckleburgh originally.

I am sending you a PM regarding this.

regards, Richard
    Last edited by Richard Farrant; 12-10-2013 at 16:52.
    Richard Farrant

1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE President and Newsletter Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
    I know a little of the history of the Quad at the Firepower museum. It came to the Royal Artillery museum at the Rotunda in Woolwich from the Muckleburgh museum and was reputed to be an ex-garage breakdown truck. This was borne out by the top of the rear body being cut away for the crane.
    Richard,

Thanks for the background info. The picture in the link I posted earlier today shows the rear body does not have a roof, that is why it made me think of "your" CGT.

Hanno

Its an old thread I know, but I wanted to ask if the overflow tank on the nearside cab front mudguard, was disguarded on later CMP Chevrolet CGT (13 cab) Field Artillery Tractors. I have never been able to find a photo of the left (nearside) so I don't know if it was discontinued on the production line or just in preservation? Ford has the overflow tank under the hood.
    Last edited by LarryH57; 31-03-2017 at 13:51.

Later Chev`s have it under the footwell at the co drivers side, so it was not so prone to damage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information