Quad Polsten

Have you ever been in the situation when you have sold something in the past and wished you hadn't !

Well I did such a thing 5 years ago ,I was trying the generate some cash for a new project and decided to part with my Canadian quad polsten which a friend of mine had been nagging me to sell him for quite some time.

A deal was struck and off he went with the gun. Six months past and thought set in that maybe I shouldn't have let it go.

I originaly bought My gun from Trident arms of Nottingham in 1997 which was part of the large batch of 50 Bofors guns and about 15 Polstens that came in from Portugal and I more or less had pick of the batch.

At the time these polstens were a bit of an unknown gun and there was very little evidence of there history.

I got the gun home and got stuck into the restoration and returned it to full running and operating condition.

I was suprised to receive a phone call last Sunday to ask if I would be interested in taking the gun back and with no hesitation I replied 'Yes', so I went down today to pick it up and get it back home.

It has deteriorated some what, so it will have to spend some time in the workshop for a strip down and repaint but hey ! its back where it belongs.

Just to top it off,I fired it up this afternoon and it blew a hydraulic hose F#*#*#G OIL EVERYWHERE.:embarrassed:

Pics attached

Rob......................rnixartillery collection.

DSCF3495..jpg

DSCF3490..jpg

DSCF3494..jpg

Hi Rob,

I have an question about the Quad Polsten

There is of this type of gun one at the Overloon museum, The Netherlands

From the rear it appears that there is an electric battery and an electric motor

Most likely to rotate the complete gun mount, is this an correct asumption?

However it would also mean there is an small petrol engine fitted somewhere

You said that some hydraulic burst, so that means there would also have to be an hydraulic pump

Or is the gun completely hydraulic driven and is the battery only there to start the engine :confused:

MichelK

4x20mm Polsten AA

Hi Rob,

I have an question about the Quad Polsten

There is of this type of gun one at the Overloon museum, The Netherlands

From the rear it appears that there is an electric battery and an electric motor

Most likely to rotate the complete gun mount, is this an correct asumption?

However it would also mean there is an small petrol engine fitted somewhere

You said that some hydraulic burst, so that means there would also have to be an hydraulic pump

Or is the gun completely hydraulic driven and is the battery only there to start the engine :confused:

MichelK

Michelk

The Battery you see is for starting the small petrol engine which in turn drives the hydraulic pump that powers the control joy stick.

There is an isolation valve in the form of a foot pedal ,the hydrualic system will not work until the pedal is pressed.

This is basically a dead man switch so if the gunner is hit the gun will cease to operate.

Hope this explains things.

Rob...........................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

• 4 months later...
Michelk

The Battery you see is for starting the small petrol engine which in turn drives the hydraulic pump that powers the control joy stick.

There is an isolation valve in the form of a foot pedal ,the hydrualic system will not work until the pedal is pressed.

This is basically a dead man switch so if the gunner is hit the gun will cease to operate.

Hope this explains things.

Rob...........................rnixartillery.

I have a Polsten Quad running but do not have a foot Pedal??

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have you ever been in the situation when you have sold something in the past and wished you hadn't !

Well I did such a thing 5 years ago ,I was trying the generate some cash for a new project and decided to part with my Canadian quad polsten which a friend of mine had been nagging me to sell him for quite some time.

A deal was struck and off he went with the gun. Six months past and thought set in that maybe I shouldn't have let it go.

I originaly bought My gun from Trident arms of Nottingham in 1997 which was part of the large batch of 50 Bofors guns and about 15 Polstens that came in from Portugal and I more or less had pick of the batch.

At the time these polstens were a bit of an unknown gun and there was very little evidence of there history.

I got the gun home and got stuck into the restoration and returned it to full running and operating condition.

I was suprised to receive a phone call last Sunday to ask if I would be interested in taking the gun back and with no hesitation I replied 'Yes', so I went down today to pick it up and get it back home.

It has deteriorated some what, so it will have to spend some time in the workshop for a strip down and repaint but hey ! its back where it belongs.

Just to top it off,I fired it up this afternoon and it blew a hydraulic hose F#*#*#G OIL EVERYWHERE.:embarrassed:

Pics attached

Rob......................rnixartillery collection.

Nice one Rob! Are you taking it to Yorkshire Wartime Experiance in July, I will have mine there, it would be good to have two together.

Craig

• 4 years later...