No front brakes on Bedford MW

The Bedford Boys

Hi guys, we are trying to get the brakes sorted on a friends Bedford MW. We have rebuilt all the wheel cylinders aswell as the master cylinder. All the brakes hoses and lines have had air blasted through them to clean them out. Now, our problem lies with the front brakes. We get very limited movement in them when the brake pedal is depressed. We have jacked up the fronts to test if they work and the wheel is hardly even slowed down. The brake shoes have been relined. If it may help with solving the problem, we are bleeding in the order of left rear, right rear, right front, left front. What would cause this non-effectiveness of front brakes? What are we doing wrong? Cheers for your help.

Edited by The Bedford Boys
Spelling correction

Hi Guys,

Don,t have an MW but do have a PU8Cwt that ive just done the brakes on.

1 May be a simple thing to say but when the new shoes went in you have rememberd to adjust on the snail cams to achieve first resistance then backed off a touch, you may be using up all the travel on the hydraulics just to achieve the first adjustment? This would give very poor braking effort at the wheel stations.

2 When i renewed my brakes it was found that everything had been adjusted to the max (i found my shoes were just about down to the rivets)

Check that the plunger going into the back of the master cylinder is not maladjusted. Too much means that the pull off springs are trying to return the shoes thus forcing oil back into the master cylinder. However the piston cannot return fully and thier is a possibility that the supply port may be partially or completely covered. This obviously affects the quantity of fluid available to deliver a full range of movement . If you have succesfully bled the brakes it is unlikley to be the case.Check the brake pedal is correctly set as this should also have an element of free travel before actuating the master cylinder. Probably has a set screw as a stop so check it is not preloading the system and preventing full operation.

Believe it or not the hand brake linkages on mine were also interfering with the correct adjustment of the brakes so chock the beast and back off on all of the linkages and controls and carry out the normal process of adjustment. Check brakes, if that works you can then reconect the hand brake and adjust.

Just a few thoughts, let us know how you get on.

Regards

Tim

Hi guys, we are trying to get the brakes sorted on a friends Bedford MW. We have rebuilt all the wheel cylinders aswell as the master cylinder. All the brakes hoses and lines have had air blasted through them to clean them out. Now, our problem lies with the front brakes. We get very limited movement in them when the brake pedal is depressed. We have jacked up the fronts to test if they work and the wheel is hardly even slowed down. The brake shoes have been relined. If it may help with solving the problem, we are bleeding in the order of left rear, right rear, right front, left front. What would cause this non-effectiveness of front brakes? What are we doing wrong? Cheers for your help.

Hi,

Your bleeding sequence is right, did you have problems bleeding fluid out of the fronts? It could be a restriction, like a brake hose ruptured inside, often at the end, it allows fluid one way but restricts the other way, you may well have been able to blow air through it though. Failing that, there is a possiblity that the secondary piston in the master cylinder might be fitted incorrectly. Check to see if the outlet on the m/cyl for front brakes is the port on the end of the cylinder, which it should be, that will mean that the secondary piston operates the fronts, so a possiblity, also in the same area, there is a small dowel screw in the base of the m/cyl, that stops this piston coming out to far. I have seen these fitted the wrong side of the piston so that it is resticting its movement.

regards, Richard