Pre 1960 vehicles,,,who can drive it

My M62 is arriving in three hours, it was made in 1953...can my son with his B-licence drive it...it seems to say yes in the DVLA notes but they are not at all simple and the british language can be very ambiguos if not done carefully and to me it snt clear....anyone know what the situation is for real..

my son is 17 and has his B licence, can he drive my 1953 truck...

Provided the truck is being used unladen, and is not towing a laden trailer, then the driver does not need to hold an HGV licence, so only considering the licencing aspect, yes he can drive it.

Mike, Is this valid with new drivers that have passed there test after 1995-6 (can't remember the exact date) as I thought they could only drive upto 3500kg

Mike, Is this valid with new drivers that have passed there test after 1995-6 (can't remember the exact date) as I thought they could only drive upto 3500kg

You do not need an HGV to drive a pre 1960 HGV used unladen and not towing a laden trailer. You can drive them on ANY car licence, whenever your test was passed. It matters not that you have a 3500kg limit on a new licence, because there was a 7.5 Tonnes limit on the old style car licence and that was not enough either to drive an HGV without this exemption. Old style test and licence only allows you to drive what are now called Medium Sized goods vehicles, ie one whose maximum gross weight exceeds 3500 Kgs but does not exceed 7500 Kgs.

The rule says if it is a pre 1960 LGV used unladen , and not towing a Laden Trailer you don't need an LGV Licence.

Edited by antarmike

You do not need an HGV to drive a pre 1960 HGV used unladen and not towing a laden trailer. You can drive them on ANY car licence, whenever your test was passed. It matters not that you have a 3500kg limit on a new licence, because there was a 7.5 Tonnes limit on the old style car licence and that was not enough either to drive an HGV without this exemption.

The rule says if it is a pre 1960 LGV used unladen , and not towing a Laden Trailer you don't need an LGV Licence.

Thanks for the info Mike

The only insurer for under 21 s is Footman James but be ready to get the sales person to check as they always say no. I have insured my 19 year old son on 3 trucks and it cost just under £800. I checked with the DVLA and you have to be 18 to drive a truck under the pre 1960 rule, I have this in writing to show the Police if he gets pulled up.

The date for new licences issued covering only B + B1 ie no grandfathers rights is 01/01/97

What do you mean by grandfathers rights? I do not understand your point. The exemption that allows driving of pre 1960 HGV's without HGV licence is open to everyone.

You are correct on that point...... 3.5 tonnes, you now have to be tested for up to 7.5 tonnes.:cool2:

You are correct on that point...... 3.5 tonnes, you now have to be tested for up to 7.5 tonnes.:cool2:

All this quoting backwards and forwards is getting confusing, here is the situation,

You can only drive up to 3.5 tonnes on a new style licence car licence, you need a seperate test to drive a modern goods vehicle up to 7500Kgs, but you can drive any pre 1960 HGV, used unladen, on the 3.5 Tonne car licence, without going for the 7.5 tonne test.

Edited by antarmike

• 2 weeks later...
All this quoting backwards and forwards is getting confusing, here is the situation,

You can only drive up to 3.5 tonnes on a new style licence car licence, you need a seperate test to drive a modern goods vehicle up to 7500Kgs, but you can drive any pre 1960 HGV, used unladen, on the 3.5 Tonne car licence, without going for the 7.5 tonne test.

Just to add to what Mike said, you also must be aged 21 or over and held a Full B licence for at least two years

• 1 month later...

Now that's what I call a very sensible and helpful post - a link to the actual official site, rather than making 'statemnts of knowledge' which, however well-meant, might have to be treated with some caution until verified.

Perhaps if we all did this whenever possible with issues concerning regulations and legislation, it might help to avoid some of the 'problems' which seem to arise whenever these topics are discussed on here :thumbsup:

Jack, buy this chap a drink!!

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm hoping to clarify a few points?

Full UK Licence obtained after 1997 means I can drive a pre-1960 historic vehicle upto 7.5ton..

However the regs concerning specific categories of vehicle are confusing me (not hard!) - if the vehicle is a recovery truck, is this limit waived? (For example, could I drive a Matador recovery variant?)

No doubt these questions have been done to death in the past, but I'm not great with forum search tools :nut:

Thanks in advance :D

If you have a full "B" licence, whenever you passed your test, you can drive pre 1960 vehicles over 3.5 tonnes used unladen., not drawing a trailer.

The minimum age restrictions are 18 for 3.5 tonnes to 7.5 tonnes and 21 for over 7.5 tonnes.

Edited by croc

Hi Guys.

Not an expert here, but you could always phone up & ask your local road traffic policing unit.

I've had to do it a few times for clarification on laws for writing policies for my work.

I know, I lead an exiting life!

They are helpful & if they don't know they'll phone you back with an answer later on.

Now that's what I call a very sensible and helpful post - a link to the actual official site, rather than making 'statemnts of knowledge' which, however well-meant, might have to be treated with some caution until verified.

However, even on that link the info may not be quite right, it states "goods vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer" this implies that you may pull an unladen trailer, I am not sure that you can, as I have also seen the exemption writen as "unladen vehicle manufactured before 1.1.60 not drawing a trailer" (traffic officers companion 12th edition) Mike?

Perhaps if we all did this whenever possible with issues concerning regulations and legislation, it might help to avoid some of the 'problems' which seem to arise whenever these topics are discussed on here :thumbsup:

That is why Lee has been busy adding things to the "reference documents" section.

Edited by croc

However, even on that link the info may not be quite right, it states "goods vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer" this implies that you may pull an unladen trailer, I am not sure that you can, as I have also seen the exemption writen as "unladen vehicle manufactured before 1.1.60 not drawing a trailer" (traffic officers companion 12th edition) Mike?

That is why Lee has been busy adding things to the "reference documents" section.

You may draw an unladen trailer behind a pre 1960 HGV without HGV licence (depending on your age). You will need an HGV licence to tow a laden trailer behind any HGV irrespective of age of vehicle.

You may draw an unladen trailer behind a pre 1960 HGV without HGV licence (depending on your age). You will need an HGV licence to tow a laden trailer behind any HGV irrespective of age of vehicle.

Thanks Mike, I have seen it writen both ways and had gone with the "not drawing a trailer" version.

Hi Guys.

Not an expert here, but you could always phone up & ask your local road traffic policing unit.

I've had to do it a few times for clarification on laws for writing policies for my work.

I know, I lead an exiting life!

They are helpful & if they don't know they'll phone you back with an answer later on.

You could do, and they may, or may not, give you the right answer, or you could believe the link to Direct.gov, which is plain and easy to understand, and is the correct information.

It depends how complicated you want to make you life....and whether you want to introduce the possibilities that many Traffic Officers only know the straightforward bits of legislation, and make up or guess the more obscure pieces of legislation.

I'll repeat the link already up on this topic.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022499

See section "Exempted large goods vehicles"

bullet point 11

I will have to assume that the definition (exempted goods vehicles (S51)) as writen in my copy of T.O.C. is incorrect, is it different in both your copies Mike? I keep thinking that I should get a newer edition but am waiting for the plating and testing regulations exemptions changes to be included.

I will have to assume that the definition (exempted goods vehicles (S51)) as writen in my copy of T.O.C. is incorrect, is it different in both your copies Mike? I keep thinking that I should get a newer edition but am waiting for the plating and testing regulations exemptions changes to be included.

The same error is repeated in the 17th Edition of Traffic Officers Handbook. (which is why I say don't bother asking Police for advice because half the time they simply don't know, and when they don't they may reach for the T.O.C. from the glove box and clearly if this is their handy guide, they will get it wrong too!)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2864/regulation/51/made See section 51 (l) for quote direct from Driver licensing regulations 1999

I have had Traffic Police ignorant of how many trailers a Heavy Loco can tow, What length such a combination can be. I have had a Traffic Copper tell me that I can't travel with passengers in a "living van type" trailer, having four or more wheels, not be close coupled. I have had a traffic Copper telling me a wide, STGO trailer dating from the fifties "must have a ministry plate" and a "plating Certificate".

Frankly the Average copper is competant to book a car driver for speeding, but beyond that, it is rare to find one who knows the law inside out!.

Edited by antarmike