British Army Land Rover Piglet in Northern Ireland (Model)

DSCF0205.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

DSCF0209.jpg

in the last pic in the front right corner you can see three bolt holes in a line, these are where the hinge for the clear screen were. to the middle on the sides there is a set of bolts in a triangle shape where the bolt that held it flat when closed.

Thankfully the army removed the the screens on my piglet as witnessed by the bolts that were already in the holes when i got the vehicle

Gareth - excellent photos my man, well done and thanks for taking the time to take the pics and post them!!

..in the photos there is a rectangulor box with two antenna just behind the spare wheel. what is this and was it a common fitting to all Piglets???

Richard, thanks for the update, I'm going to have to google Lexan, this is the first time I've heard about that! If you think of anything that might be worth mentioning or that might help me in thread here later please drop a line, you have been a great help so far!

DSCF0193-1.jpg

hope this helps with the aerials, there are 3 in a t shape (the front one is bent back due to trees hitting it and there's no springing in it.) they are to do with the jamming system to counter radio controlled bombs. theres 3 rather large diameter wires and heavy duty connectors ( compared to normal radio cables) that go down to the mount behind the drivers seat that you can see in the pic of the rear interior just to the right of the fire bottles.

Dont know when they were fitted but certainly they were in the latter years of service and you can see them on the APV and the CAV.

No problems glad i can help, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Excellent Gareth, I'll defo be adding this item to my model, thanks to your photos I should have this little accessory just about right!! Thanks again mate, you've been a great help :-D

..I'm gonna go out on a limb here and ask does anyone have any photos or information on the the "Jammer device" inside the vehicle, a drawing or reference will do, I really want to emphasize this in the Kit! ..I know there was a personel device that one squadie carried in his daysack in each brick on foot patrols, I wonder is this the same device??

..BTW Gareth I took my donar kit out yesterday and gave it the once over of what I need to do etx etc, she'll be on the ramp next tuesday or wednesday!

(I can post here on the model section of HMVF if there was no objections from the mods and some people wanted to see it?? Any thoughts?? At the end of the day I got most of my resources and references here! Alternatively I will be posting my build blog as usual on the modelling site armorama anyway, but I'll be giving kudos to everyone here and the site :-D)

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roy

Just found ur post on the model site.

the first pic of a piglet u've used is a vehicle i restored for a Norhern Ireland gent

2005_09260130.jpg

it was good having the 2 piglets for a while. even got the 2 of them along with my pig to a couple of shows.

Static174.jpg

It as a lot rougher than my piglet and as well as needing a lot of bits to be fabricated, the bulkhead needed to be changed it was fun removing the doors!

Great photos Gareth!! I see you like 1:1 scale building :wow::rotfl:

..That mock up checkpoint looks the buisness by the way, I'll hang on to these photos too, cheers!!

Glad you found the model site, keep an eye on it, I'll be showing photos of your piglet along the way and making some references too (as long as thats OK with you?)

..keep your ear to the ground in regard to photos or knowledge of that curious Jamming device

(it fits that bracket in the back of the piglet in a photo you sent me before!)

chat soon mate!

Roy :-D

Great photos Gareth!! I see you like 1:1 scale building :wow::rotfl:

..That mock up checkpoint looks the buisness by the way, I'll hang on to these photos too, cheers!!

Glad you found the model site, keep an eye on it, I'll be showing photos of your piglet along the way and making some references too (as long as thats OK with you?)

..keep your ear to the ground in regard to photos or knowledge of that curious Jamming device

(it fits that bracket in the back of the piglet in a photo you sent me before!)

chat soon mate!

Roy :-D

no bother Roy if someone offers u a 1 to 1 scale ECM u know where to send it once u've made a scale model nudge nudge wink wink lol

as to the checkpoint i think my neighbours have got used to me, they didnt even bat an eyelid when i paint bombed, then set fire to my piglet.

111111111.jpg

no bother Roy if someone offers u a 1 to 1 scale ECM u know where to send it once u've made a scale model nudge nudge wink wink lol

as to the checkpoint i think my neighbours have got used to me, they didnt even bat an eyelid when i paint bombed, then set fire to my piglet.

111111111.jpg

now THAT is a feckin great photo!!!! ..poor piglet..

• 2 months later...

Hi Gareth!

Thanks for the post, I havn't dropped off the face of the planet yet anyway :D

I've three projects on the go at the moment now.

I'm building a 1/35th Panhard M3 VTT APC over on armorama along with your Piglet.

I started up the Build Log for the Piglet on March 30th over on armorama, check it out if you get time http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=155903#1307805

I built up the chasis and main body and got some drawings done.

then I got slowed down by preparing some models for two Irish Model shows that I entered, which took place in April & May (IPMS & IMSS respectfully).

A few weeks ago I attended a Military Show in a place called the Curragh here and met two interesting blokes from Belfast, one of the guys John was very helpful and a wealth of knowledge and allowed me get my paws all over the piglet for the next half hour. They had a well kept Piglet that I'm sure you may know, reg 05HH05. I got some fab pics to add to your generous offerings so I've got everything covered now.

I only recieved the Panhard drawings last week, a model I wanted to build for many years so I'm just getting that out of my system & then its straight back to your Piglet :D

I'm hoping to run both models at the massive IPMS gig in Telford in November

keep in touch!

Roy :)

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys

I'm back and need your help again!

For those of you who patiently helped me back in 2010 with all my questions and followed my thread I just want to say a big thanks but also sorry for not finishing this project.

Life got in the way & I had some other modelling distractions but I'm back to finish what I started and I'm really looking forward to the build!

I've just finished a circa 1978 Stripped down VPK with Claribel Radar and I loved researching the project!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/activearmour/7785093570/in/photostream/

Although I've been away for almost 3 years I've spent a considerable amount of time studying the VPK and Piglet development and consider myself pretty confident with the subject now :red:

I still however have a few niggling little problems that I want to try resolve and finally close before I can move on to completing this project. I'm hoping with the passing of 3 years that maybe new information, new members and even new photographs have come to light and just maybe someone here can help me.

What I'm having trouble with is the following;

1. I am DESPERATE to find IN-SERVICE photos of late "Factory Fitted" Piglets in N.Ireland. You wouldn't believe how rare these are!! Of the hundreds I've collected from the Late 1980's to the early 1990's, most are likely late VPK Landy's. (I even have found a clean VPK from Belfast 1992)

I have hundreds more of Private restored Piglets and others awaiting disposal or scrap but barely any IN-SERVICE photos! :nut:

2. Late VPK kits were heavilly modified and looked similar to "factory fitted" Piglets with the naked untrained eye. Would I be correct by saying that the term PIGLET genuinely referes to the latter "factory fitted" 109 only. I'm aware Squadies possibly called all these armoured 109's Piglets but the VPK variant was just that "VPK" and should not be called a piglet?

3. Regarding the MAKROLON armoured screens which are on top beside the roof hatch. I have seen numerous RESTORED Piglets with this feature added. I have also seen photos of these screens present on vehicles rotting in junk yards. However I have never seen ANY photos of these actually IN-SERVICE.

Is it possible that this feature may have been the last modification that the Piglet saw before it was retired? & could it have been fitted after it was withdrawn from service and put in storage as a reserve or Auxilliary patrol vehicle?

4. Following the same theme as above I am also unable to confirm the use or existance of the front fender protection kit seen on restored private Piglets. This is the solid frame protection kit with the inner mesh. It hangs from the front bumper and almost touches the ground. Again I have no photos and wonder about its accuaracy. (I have pictures of vehicles rotting in yards but still no evidence they were used on Active Duty).

5. Would I be correct by saying all "factory fitted" Piglets had the following obvious visual details in comparisson to late VPK kits (which also appear to still be in service in the late 80's and early 90's)

• FRONT armoured Windsheild frame.
  • One piece heavy Armoured Doors with Makrolon Armoured screens protruding (not mesh as a rule)
  • Air Vent on Passanger side front wing (shielded) rear of wheel arch & forward of passenger door.
  • One piece armoured rear door (no windows)
  • Mess Grill covering engine frame (no standard vent cover behind mesh as seen on VPK's)
  • small armoured plate rear of the cab doors just forward of the rear wheel arches.
  • cylindrical vent on roof instead of the spare tyre mount.

I would really appreciate any help guys, particulary photos!

Kind Regards,

Roy

• 2 months later...

Finally, better late than never!

A SUPER BIG thanks to everyone who helped me here during the build.

Without all your patience and assistance guys I would never have found all the information and pictures I was looking for!

Here are is the finished results (& now I'm off to my next project a UDR Shorland APC MK.III)

Kind regards,

Roy

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete11.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete14.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete8.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete7.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete1.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete2.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete3.jpg

LandroverPiglet109SeriesIIILWBHVVPKArmoramabuildcomplete6.jpg

Hey Gareth good to see you mate!

I hope you of all people like the Piglet.

Thanks for all your help. It was such an interesting subject for me to research and build.

I would have been pretty stumped for answers without this website and the likes of you, Clive and the guys helping out.

Why someone has not published a book on Britsh ARMY vehicles in N.Ireland yet is beyond me..

I know David Dunne wrote a fantastic book on RUC Vehicles but the Army wagons are just as intriguing!

I've built built 3 Piglets now and have two more to go before I take a breather on the subject.

Here's another I recently finished, I know it says HVVPK below but its an obvious missprint, I meant it to be VPK

ebaypigletauctions101paint.jpg

ebaypigletauctions089.jpg

Anyway Yep I'll be with my piglet and other bits at Telford at the weekend. Sat & Sun.

This will be in the competition and I'm judging other categories there too so you'll catch me at one of the tables there on Sat. Hopefully I might even catch a brew with you.

KR

Roy

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Roy, not really my thing. Rather than try to answer them all here are a few answers I'm confident about.

1. The original VPK for 3/4 Ton was I think was designated GRP Kit DON/130. The Sankey design for upgrade of this to FV984569 (ie HV VPK) was issued in Nov 1980. A major upgrade with new side doors & front protection plates is dated March 1982.

2. Correct, owners fancy I think.

4. Just chance I think, some VPK panels may have come from different vehicles.

6. No, owners fancy I think. I've seen the one you mean.

7. Neither, NATO Green

8. By that you mean Glover Webb APV? Not sure need to check that out.

Just an add piglets well some of them did carry blues lights ..I've done 5 tours over the water back on the 1980s and blue lights were carried on the icp wagon for example ..search team vehicles....so not just confined to rmp/RAF police

terry

• 6 years later...

Hiy Roy

the piglet was policed up for royal military police POINTER teams in west belfast. we had twin blue light and red on white military police plates front and rear with 2 tone emergency horns behind the riot mess covering radiator. The roof was bare apart from cheese cutter, air intake 2 x radio antenna and flip roof. we did not have perspex on the roof

roof. belly plate were of macralon.

On 3/16/2010 at 3:16 PM, roy kinsella said:

Hi everyone

I'm a scale modeller and have found myself modelling Military Vehciles from "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland with my last few projects and this will likely be my direction for sometime into the future. Most models I build are not available to buy and I tend to convert or scratch build these kits from other bits to my needs.

My small collection now consists of a Humber Flying Pig, Saxon Patrol & a Land Rover Hotspur.

(some of which can be seen on the warwheels.net site gallery http://www.warwheels.net/GALLERY.html )

My next project however will be the Land Rover Piglet, used by the British Army.

Accurate Information is kinda tough to come by so I'm here to ask the people "in the Know" at HMVF for some help with my quieries. I've been here before with help for Humber Flying Pig and without the information I got here, particulary from Clive Eliott I would never have been able to complete my project so accurately!

I have alot of questions about the Piglet though and I'd really appreciate anyone who can help answering some (or all) of them;

This is the piglet version I'm focusing on (below)

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33/roykinsella/AA-NIBritishArmyPigletLandrover2.jpg

Here's my questions:

(1) when did this version of the Piglet enter service and when did it finish up?

(2) I am assuming these vehciles never carried emergency blue lights, is this correct?

(3) When (roughly what year or era) did the "confidential Telephone" stenciling begin to be put on these vehciles? (I have only seen retired vehciles with signs of this yellow writing)

(4) Photographs I have from the very early 80's show this vehicle looking reletively new and the armoured sections of the vehcile are a different shade of green, was this the case with early vehciles in service?

(5) was the Piglet originally designed with Macrelon Armour clear vision guards on the roof or was this only on later variants? ..I'm looking for as much information as I can get about the rear roof hatches too

(6) Did many piglets carry the TUAAM radio boxes at the front?

(7) what color would be correct for these vehicles, olive green or olive drab??

(8) Did the APV Landrover replace the Piglet in the later 1980's or was this vehicle an additional armoured landy that was added to the invantory?

If anyone also has any photographs that they could post or send to me via email I'd be very appreciative! Particulary the inside of the vehcile as I have nothing in relation to this

..fingers crossed guys, thanks in advance!

Roy :help: