Two Wheel Drive Land Rovers

Brooky

It is fairly common knowledge that Land Rover produced some 4x2 versions of the Series 1 for the services to use as Utillity Cars

The question is does anybody have any evidence of these being built on 1959 series 2 chassis?

It is fairly common knowledge that Land Rover produced some 4x2 versions of the Series 1 for the services to use as Utillity Cars

The question is does anybody have any evidence of these being built on 1959 series 2 chassis?

Yes there were Ser 2 4x2 landrovers, dont think many were made, I used to drive one for a local garage many years ago

The Belgian military had some Series 3 , 2 wheel drive. One turned up on a Forum in the US and then another turned up in the UK. Different style NATO non-rotating pintle with Lunnete rings and different lighting being the obvious clues.

• 7 years later...

The US Airforce Police used them on bases in UK in civvy colours when outside. They could not patrol outside base areas in marked vehicles as they had no legal jurisdiction. Perimiter and outside patrols were the responsobility of the Royal Airforce Constabulary till 1971 when they were amalgamated with Army and Navy to form Ministry of Defence Police AKA MODPLOD.

I kept a front S2A axle tube for years - then it was used for concrete reinforcement in a trench . There were some Series 3 made by Solihull that were used in Belgium - on a NATO base that IIRC was used by the USAF , possibly that is how most examples seemed to turn up in the USA , the tow hook was not a NATO pintle - more of a J$$p type. They were like a 88" CL but totally different light fittings , IIRC inc. banks of 4 qty. red lamps for use on runways. The front output shaft housing was different , tidy-up , no drive flange not turning a prop-shaft.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I've read that the military wanted them as a cheaper variant of the 4x4 which was intended for use on roads only, such as on bases, but allowing commonality of parts with the standard vehicles. They were used mainly by Military Police and REME units who weren't normally needing 4x4.

If other military contracts are anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if Rover's charged the MoD MORE for replacing the front axle drive system with a bit of tube and a blanking plate!

I spent part of my National Service in Scottish Command, Counter Intelligence Unit at Craigie Hall, South Queensferry back in 1960. Our Unit vehicle was a 4 x 2 Land Rover and I think that the registration number was 19CL26 but my memory is a little hazey on that one after 50 odd years! The main part of our work was inspecting the security of armouries within the various units of Scottish Command - which included TA and ACF centres and the 4 x 2 was quite adequate for that - except it did not have a heater which really would have been rather nice during the Scottish winters when we were on the road so much!

The IRA was very much in focus at that time where raids had taken place on such armouries to steal weapons.

I spent part of my National Service in Scottish Command, Counter Intelligence Unit at Craigie Hall, South Queensferry back in 1960. Our Unit vehicle was a 4 x 2 Land Rover and I think that the registration number was 19CL26 but my memory is a little hazey on that one after 50 odd years! The main part of our work was inspecting the security of armouries within the various units of Scottish Command - which included TA and ACF centres and the 4 x 2 was quite adequate for that - except it did not have a heater which really would have been rather nice during the Scottish winters when we were on the road so much!

The IRA was very much in focus at that time where raids had taken place on such armouries to steal weapons.

The basic nomenclature would be - Car, CL, Utility Light, 4x2 (because it was a bog-std. commercial) , however the plates would be --CE-- , so it may be worth doing a search on 19CE26 initially to see within parameter.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

IOur Unit vehicle was a 4 x 2 Land Rover and I think that the registration number was 19CL26 but my memory is a little hazy on that one after 50 odd years!

According to James Taylor and Geoff Fletcher's "British Military Land Rovers", the 275 Mk 6 4x2s were indeed CL VRNs: 17CL48 to 20CL22, so yours is indeed in there. So, well remembered, but, as you were INT CORPS, I would expect nothing less!

10 68

It could be tied down closer if Minesweeper can recall if the Rovers were slab-sided or with barrel waist. Mk.6 (Ser.2) were 1958 - '61 , so yes - a possibility of '58 to '60 dated , the earler S1 AFAIK were all --CE-- and probably many more in number - Mk.3/Mk.5 having FUV registrations as orders with Solihull by the Ministry of Suppy, who also supplied - 'The Ministry of Public Building and Works' , quite a history of swopping about with War Office (Army) + MofD

It could be tied down closer if Minesweeper can recall if the Rovers were slab-sided or with barrel waist. Mk.6 (Ser.2) were 1958 - '61 , so yes - a possibility of '58 to '60 dated ,

I don't think he needs to. He recalls using a 4x2 Land Rover during his service and quotes a VRN which was indeed a 4x2 and, as far as I can see, he's home and dry. That satisfies me and it should you, too!

10 68

I don't think he needs to. He recalls using a 4x2 Land Rover during his service and quotes a VRN which was indeed a 4x2 and, as far as I can see, he's home and dry. That satisfies me and it should you, too!

10 68

And in my opinion - you are more than a little out of order..

To quote Minesweeper - and I think that the registration number was 19CL26 but my memory is a little hazey on that one after 50 odd years!

And due to their being many S1 --CE-- , probably many more than S2 - it seemed wise to try to zero in

It could be tied down closer if Minesweeper can recall if the Rovers were slab-sided or with barrel waist. Mk.6 (Ser.2) were 1958 - '61 , so yes - a possibility of '58 to '60 dated , the earler S1 AFAIK were all --CE-- and probably many more in number - Mk.3/Mk.5 having FUV registrations as orders with Solihull by the Ministry of Suppy, who also supplied - 'The Ministry of Public Building and Works' , quite a history of swopping about with War Office (Army) + MofD

It was not slab sided - I have a picture somewhere - but sadly it was a side view which does not show the number. I'll try to remember where I put it!

I learnt to drive on 20CL08 - or at least I passed my test in it. That vehicle was a driver training vehicle with whatever RASC unit was in Yeovil in 1961. There were lots of others and I assume they were 4x2 as well. The next military vehicle I drove was a Bedford RL during floods in Kenya! Little did my platoon know how little driving experience I had.

Chris

k2OfR81.jpg

Edited by chrisgrove