Two Wheel Drive Land Rovers

Brooky

I learnt to drive on 20CL08 - or at least I passed my test in it. That vehicle was a driver training vehicle with whatever RASC unit was in Yeovil in 1961. There were lots of others and I assume they were 4x2 as well. The next military vehicle I drove was a Bedford RL during floods in Kenya! Little did my platoon know how little driving experience I had.

Chris

k2OfR81.jpg

Now - that is a realy good in-service photograph of a S2 CL - RARE , I don't think I have seen another.

Full civvy 88" Basic Utility Spec. Note the razor edge bonnet with no spare wheel mounting support, no bonnet spring hold-down clips as civvy bonnet lock with trigger release (note the aperture in the grille mesh) , all civvy spec. lighting.

Well, I did say in my earlier posting that my memory was hazey but this was 56 years ago!

So, I found the photo and written on the back was "Scottish Command C.I.Unit Land Rover - registration 17 CL 73", not quite the same as I remembered and posted earlier, so sorry about that. The photograph was taken on the 5th January 1961, the day I was de-mobbed. The Nisson Hut that it was parked against was the C.I.Unit Offices.

Both cracking photos of interesting vehicles, thanks for posting. Interesting to see that, although civilian side lights and indicators were fitted to the front, the military convention of fitting them one above the other rather than side by side as was civilian practice, was followed - I think, at that time, the indicators were optional extras, as were passenger side windscreen wipers - and I see the driving school Land Rover gets one but not the Land Rover issued to the CI Unit.

10 68

19 CE 26 is listed as a one and half ton RUBERY OWEN trailer CONTRACT number 6/V 26402

Hi Wally , can you please explain - if there is a rational reason .

Mk.5 CL's plated --CE--

then

Mk.6 CL's plated --CL--

This seems to break all the 'rules' , I suppose somebody decided that a CL should be plainly marked such ?

YOU will have to forgive me as l am not sure what your question is l can tell you that from OI CE 89 to 08 CE 63

CONTRACT number 6/V/26222 was for a mixture of CAR CL UTILITY LIGHT 4X2 AND CAR CL UTILITY LIGHT STATION

WAGON 4X2 ROVER

OK - if we take the example of the photograph for 20CL08 , it is a Series 2 - so manufacture date must have been abt. 1959 to 1960

Many of the last Series One CL's were manuf. 1958 - they were plated --CE--

Therefore - I would have expected that in 1959 would be the start of --CF-- , so my query is why the BIG jump from CE to CL - this is several years ?

There's a handy guide to the system in "Warpaint", Vol 1 by Dick Taylor with over 4 A4 pages dedicated to it and yet more covering the previous, census, lists.

Basically, from 1949 to the introduction of KA et seq from 1982 particular letter pairs were reserved for either A, B or C vehicles (I generalise as, later H equipments were included, for example).

So, for example, taking the "F" range, which is familiar to most of us with Land Rovers and so on, FA to FF were A vehicles in the period 1967 - 1973. Then FG to FM, less FI, were B vehicles '67 to '73 and FU to FZ were C vehicles of the same period, with others from the F series apparently not used. I'm not sure everything in the chart is 100%, for example, it shows CP as being C vehicles from 1982 onwards, whereas I seem to recall seeing CP on "construction plant" earlier than that, but, memories play tricks!

10 68

• 8 months later...

Hi All, Found this website and thread when researching this 1974 4x2 which I found here in Tanzania. It should be ex Belgium army but according to the data I have so far it was owned by the Tanzania army and imported into Tanzania in 1987. It could have come in from Congo where Belgium was once very active. Still trying to get more details, She has been extended at the back but not sure by who. taking some measurements and will check once the Chassis once the body is off as to how good or bad the job was done. 4fb6a4f3-d929-45f8-97b7-159f18406bac.thumb.jpg.3b8946d86849402bfd0643c0dcb9bacc.jpg85e91761-c81b-4ffd-a041-fb4c06b939de.thumb.jpg.f5c966699b213b4b805928580653e93e.jpg295895583_WhatsAppImage2018-05-09at07_49_47.thumb.jpeg.d2157caa9bcb3d0e764dfb56fe2df946.jpeg

• 2 years later...
To all, who will help us ....
We are currently working on creating a register for all ex-Landrover Series 3 of the Belgian Army.
This was an exceptional version with a 2x4 instead of 4x4 as its main feature.
Do you own or know someone who has this type of Land Rover would like to return a signal so that we can add them to our register.
Thanks in advance ...
reply to ftr009@gmail.com

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...