RAF Fuel Bowser needs saving (WW2?)

Hi Guys,

Ive been told about a Fuel bowser trailer that needs saving from the scrap man. I belive its WW2 and was used by the RAF for refuling Spitfires and Hurricanes

Its located Nr Basingstoke and needs rescuing as the farmer is having a grand clear out and tidy up

PM me if interested and I will give you the guys details so you can deal direct.

Please spread the word to anyone who may be interested

Below are the pictures and the last one is of a simular bowser refuling during WW2

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

RAFREFUELING.jpg

INTO THE NIGHT SKY RAF Middleton St George : A Bomber Airfield at War. by Paul Tweddle

Page 154 shows one of these trailers being drawn by a David Brown (photograph - author) - parked in front of a Whitley (I think) with large stencil OIL.

Page 37 shows a AEC Matador bowser refueling a Halifax (photograph IWM CH4462)

Will try and show the photographs tomorrow.

Hi I have two of these Bowsers waiting in the line for restoration, well one is for parts and the other is in pretty good nick, they were fiited with an Stationary engine in the front which was connected to a drive shaft which ran the lenghth of the body to the pump at the rear of the Bowser. The hoses were hosed in the side boxs.There should be a dome cover on top of the breather and filler on the top of the tank. I still have mine on the bowser.

Howard

Bowser 005..jpg

Bowser 003..jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, could you shed some more light on location etc or a phone number, PM me if you wish-

Reason being I work at Bruntingthorpe and we are always looking for more ground equipment, especially pieces like this that could once again be used!

Thanks,

Tom

Please read my comments here

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?17737-Tools-Projects-for-Cadets

Hi Guys,

Went and saw the bowser yesterday and also spoke to the farmer so here is the latest information.

The Farmers father brought the bowser straight after WW2 in a auction and it has been used on the farm for refuelling the combines and tractors working in the fields rather then having to go back to the farm for fuel. They stopped using it around 5 years ago when it was parked up.

The original pump is missing put the tanks is complete with no holes, he think its a 400 gallon tank, it has original WW2 tyres still on it, two torsion bars have been removed from it but he thinks he has some similar ones on the farm.

The outer sides/ boxes need replacing but it is basically all there. There is a large shallow dent in the top of the tank but nothing serious.

A HMVF member has contacted me when I first posted it so I will give him first refusal on it before I give out contact details.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi All. What happened to the trailer? Was it saved? Oris it still there? What sort of a task would it be to recover something like this?

David.

Nobody wanted it, not sure if its still there or been cut up??? I can find out though, I was very surprised it wasnt rescued ??

Well, I'm trying to save a David Brown Taskmaster for a museum at the moment, so the two together would make some exhibit. I'll ask them if they are interested. If it still can be saved, its worth a try.

What part of the country is it in, given that I'm in southern Scotland. Would a big vehicle be needed to shift it, bigger than a transit car transporter? I ask, as one of my mates has one.

Could you find out if its still there please? Cant promise anything, but they might be interested.

Thanks.

Dave.

Well, I'm trying to save a David Brown Taskmaster for a museum at the moment, so the two together would make some exhibit. I'll ask them if they are interested. If it still can be saved, its worth a try.

What part of the country is it in, given that I'm in southern Scotland. Would a big vehicle be needed to shift it, bigger than a transit car transporter? I ask, as one of my mates has one.

Could you find out if its still there please? Cant promise anything, but they might be interested.

Thanks.

Dave.

I Should be up there this weekend so will find out if its still there and I'll take some measurments for you. Its to big for a transit ???

Its located near Basingstoke

• 2 weeks later...