ex argie a/a guns

chevpol

Mark

Last year we had some fresh guns arrive at Catterick,both ex-Falklands War trophies.

One has been through ABRO had a fresh paint job and know resides outside a barracks the other has been dumped in the corner of a parade ground .

They had come from a regimental museum that closed somwhere 'down south'.

The gun on the parade ground was liberated from port stanley.

Rob.........rnixartillery.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

When I was in the RAF a buddy of mine was responsible for getting the radar for the guns running after they came back from the Falklands.

Was kinda difficult for him as the para's had shot all sorts holes in them :)

Mark

Two friends of mine have just finished restoring the first of two ex Argentine Air Force Rheinmetall twin 20mm AA guns captured by 2 PARA at Port Stanley airfield in 1982.

The gun was returned to Merville Barracks, Colchester, this week and looks absolutely superb. It's incredible how well they've lasted considering they've been outside since 1982! The magazines were the only really bad parts but the rest needed a lot of time and effort to free off springs, hinges etc.

The chaps will start on the second gun when they've finished my Ferret!

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Two friends of mine have just finished restoring the first of two ex Argentine Air Force Rheinmetall twin 20mm AA guns captured by 2 PARA at Port Stanley airfield in 1982.

The gun was returned to Merville Barracks, Colchester, this week and looks absolutely superb. It's incredible how well they've lasted considering they've been outside since 1982! The magazines were the only really bad parts but the rest needed a lot of time and effort to free off springs, hinges etc.

The chaps will start on the second gun when they've finished my Ferret!

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Hi Peter

Can you get any photo's of the guns ?

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

Rob,

I knew I should have taken photos!!

When the second gun arrives (in about a month), I'll make sure I take 'before and after photos'. I think the PARA regimental magazine and / or local press is going to feature the restoration of the first gun - I'll keep you posted.

You should have seen the state of the magazines - tin worm extaordinaire!! It's amazing what real engineers / craftsmen like my friends can do - long may they continue!

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

• 4 months later...

Chaps,

As promised, a photo of the second of two 20 mm Rheinmetall Zwillingsflak Mark 20 Rh 202 A/A guns restored by my friends Eddie and Roger for 2 PARA, based at Merville Barracks, Colchester. Another superb restoration, this gun will be rejoining it's mate next week some time. Both were captured by 2 PARA in the Falklands.

Sorry for the delay - my Ferret (and the guns) took longer than planned to restore!

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Rh 202.jpg

Very nice in deed. Can I have one? Think Mark my mate would like the other.:D

Andy.

who mate me?

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!! (mind you, dont know what Helen would say though!!!!:cool2:)

Mark:cool:

Dear Hogfather.......

• 2 weeks later...