Where did all the oxfords go!!

rnixartillery

How long were these two variants in service for ?

I know Ron Truscott had both variants in his carrier collection on the IOW but I wonder if there are any in private hands today.

They must have had several roles but in one of the pictures it showes one used as an artillery tractor.

Rob.......rnixartillery

How long were these two variants in service for ?

I know Ron Truscott had both variants in his carrier collection on the IOW but I wonder if there are any in private hands today.

They must have had several roles but in one of the pictures it showes one used as an artillery tractor.

Rob,

The Oxford was built just after the war by MG Car co. total build was about 400. They were used for a number of roles, inc. 6 and 17pdr A/T gun tractors and Mortar.

The FV401 Cambridge, prototype built in 1950. There were nine variants planned, some only built as prototype.

As to length of service, etc. I cannot say, but I seem to recollect posting on a similar thread on this website a few years ago and there was quite a bit of input including more photos, so worth doing a search.

Unfortunately the Oxford is almost totally forgotten, I found this blog site sometime ago (it took awhile to rediscover it).

sites.google.com/site/djkl157/1dclimemorabilia

with an appalling photo quality a pic of an Oxford is shown with the caption French bren gun carrier at Hamunder, Ruhr next photo is of a 3inch mortar and crew which might be a clue that the vehicle is an Oxford 3inch carrier. The name appears to be Corunna and the Reg. is a ZU number 11ZU15 perhaps.

The Oxford served in Korea as well as home service and BAOR the Oxford T352713 was captured by the Chinese. there is a film clip of another Oxford T352791 shown some years ago in a documentary on the Korean War and use in an infantry Batalion was implied -the type had taken the place of Loyd TT and to an extent 3inch mortar carriers. most Oxford were supossed to be scrapped from reserve stocks in late 1950s early 1960s, but no-one has said whether they were scrapped or hard targeted.

untitled.JPG

Edited by steveo578
addition

• 3 years later...

Here's a list of all currently known examples.

Oxfords

Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution, Beijing (Captured in Korea, one assumes)

Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum, Pyongyang (Ditto!) (Anyone got a good photo?)

Bovington tank Museum (Anyone got a photo of this one?)

"Private collection (UK)" (Photo anyone???- Truscott's?)

Cambridges

Bovington Tank Museum

Swords and Ploughshares Museum, Kars (Again, anyone got a photo?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...