Looks like I could move to Texas

ajmac

Amazing how things take unexpected turns!

My company is in the process of offering me a package to move to Houston, Texas..... never expected that.

I know most of us are from the UK but does anyone come from the US? There is so much new information to gather that on the the face of it, it appears overwelming.

Key points:

How does local housing tax work, is it based on the house value? Where can I get an idea of the $ cost per anum?

Can I own a tracked vehicle :-) My wife doesn't consider this an important point:-D

Any info on nice areas to live? I've worked in Houston a few times, but only in the industrial area and never visted down town or the Suburbs.

PMs are fine.

My company is in the process of offering me a package to move to Houston, Texas..... never expected that.

I know most of us are from the UK but does anyone come from the US? There is so much new information to gather that on the the face of it, it appears overwelming.

Key points:

How does local housing tax work, is it based on the house value? Where can I get an idea of the $ cost per anum?

Can I own a tracked vehicle :-) My wife doesn't consider this an important point:-D

Any info on nice areas to live? I've worked in Houston a few times, but only in the industrial area and never visted down town or the Suburbs.

PMs are fine.

There is a company there called the International Repo Depot. (Earl Tucker) Who imports tracked AFVS & the like. I sold him my Scorpion a few years back. He is based in Housten & could help you. It's worth an Email!

Mike. :-D

Key points:

PMs are fine.

Not only can you own a tracked vehicle but you can shoot it's guns too.....

Hello, If you know what area of Houston you're moving to find the chamber of commerce for that area. Maybe your company could help you with that information. But the chamber of commerce will be able to help you with tax information, real estate, uitilites such as gas, elecrticity, phone and so on. I live in Pennslyvania and our taxes are based on house value and school district. It maybe different down there though. But I thought the chamber of commerce would be able to answer some of your questions.

Good Luck, Terry

Found a couple of things about vehicle inspections first in Texas http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/

And this link from wikipedia about vehicle inspections around the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_inspection

then The United States in general http://search.dmv.org/dmv/vehicle-inspection-stations

Only 19 of the Fifty United Staes have a annual or Bi-annual State mandated inspection Program

So if your tired of having to have you Vehicle inspected and or tested , Join Us in Nebraska

We dont have any Inspections :cool2::-D

Edited by abn deuce

ensure that your employer has a Gold plated medical and dental insurance policy

Gold plated with knobs on I understand, thanks for prompting me at ask the question!

Where do you look around for WW2 vehicles in the US? I've found a couple of Jeeps available in Tx, but not much else, is there a single resource that people use? Milweb is mainly European sales by the look of it....

A good USA publication is Military Vehicles magazine with listings of many MV rallies and swap meets also lots of MV's and parts . Loads of vehicles over here , Make sure to check out the MVPA at www.MPVA.org . here the link to the Lone Star group http://www.lonestar-mvpa.org/

Incase you didnt know Texas is also called the Lone Star State.

Edited by abn deuce
add links

here the link to the Lone Star group.

Thanks, I'm having a look now...

As an aside, I am amazed at the size of the houses around Houston, for the value of my House in the UK I could get a 4 bed with 1/2 acre and a garage big enough to fit a Diamond T.

Our conversations go like this...

Jenni: 'that's a wonderful kitchen, look at all that storage space'

Me: 'Yes Nice, but have you seen the garage? It's not quite what I'm after'

Jenni: 'Ok, lets look at ones with bigger garages then' = my wife is the best!