Bofors 40mm

Les

Attached are a couple of pics of two of my Bofors, The 1938 mod L40/60 and the post war naval mount.

The mod 38 came from budge ( that long ago I can't exactly remember ) which I have restored,A really precision made piece.

pictured on the movie set of 'Attonement'.

And the Naval mount was saved from the scrap man,many of its componants are aluminium so it was an ideal choice for an outside ornament.

Pictured before and after.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

jeepbof.jpg

filming at Redcar! 099.jpg

Before restoration.jpg

Picture 435.jpg

NG (1).jpg

Someone will no doubt correct me, but I believe originally you needed a brakeman when towing these guns (at least the earlier ones). The CMP LAA tractors had a special rearward facing seat for him - he got to hold a rope to the gun's brakes and pull on it at strategic moments. I don't know what the arrangement was with Bedford QLBs. Morris CDSW tractors don't appear to have provision.

Whether you are allowed to tow these manually braked guns on the road these days I don't know.

Here's the Museum of the Manx Regiment's Self-propelled Bofors. It's fitted with a replica gun on a genuine but weird mounting which is about 8 inches taller than any other that I've seen. We're looking for a more appropriate gun & mounting if anybody's got an incomplete Mark 1 Bofors gun going spare. The mounting should be a Mk 5 but we can modify anything.

C9B 6.JPG

Les

I got my Naval Bofors from a friend who had two,the better one was sold and mine was to be scraped as it was in very poor condition.

But I thought it would be ashame for it to be brocken up and I think I spent more on it than its worth (who knows).

Anyway I was told that the two guns had come from the Isle of White. :undecided:

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Here's the Museum of the Manx Regiment's Self-propelled Bofors. It's fitted with a replica gun on a genuine but weird mounting which is about 8 inches taller than any other that I've seen. We're looking for a more appropriate gun & mounting if anybody's got an incomplete Mark 1 Bofors gun going spare. The mounting should be a Mk 5 but we can modify anything.

Ivor,

I see your museum bought the C9B, I was partly interested in the vehicle when it was up for sale a couple of years back.

If I remember correctly part of the gun fibre glass, I may be able to help with the gun so if you send a pm I will give you a colleagues number who has a couple.

Rob............rnixartillery.

Does anyone have any photographs of the generators being used on the power assisted Bofors mounts.

I assume they must all now be broken up, but I was informed some time ago that one of the underground storage facilities in the Corsham area had a large number of Naval Bofors they were in the process of scrapping.

Nice restoration there Rob, tell me was the naval static one of those that ended up as gate guards at one of the sea cadet units, we had one or two down this area a few years ago rusting away to there hearts content

An Armamant company I used to work for, got gifted an Ex Naval Bofors from a sea cadet unit that was dispanded. It sat outside the Factory for many years with just the barrel stored inside the Factory Armoury. I saw an ad years ago in a Windscreen mag green sheet advertiesd for a guy looking for one. I contacted him, did a deal on behalf of our Boss. De-Activated & certified it. & The chap came and collected it.

It went to the isle of wight to complete a Portee restoration. I was pleased because we were going to deact it & restore it as a gateguard outside the factory. When it was pointed out that some of the local 'Lovely Kiddie Winks' would love to climb on it after hours. They might fall or injure themselves & the company sued! So that idea was shelved & the boss was simply going to scrap it. Good job i had the foresight to stall him so it could be saved! Too much has gone to the melting pot. Look at RL's, they built 73 Thousand of them! Where are they now! (I know a lot were left abroad when Brit troops returned from far flung corners of the globe) There should be more about, but you dont see THAT many at shows! I guess the Pertol situation hasnt helped when you can get Daf's & MK's!

Mike. :kiss:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Les

Attached are a couple of pics of two of my Bofors, The 1938 mod L40/60 and the post war naval mount.

The mod 38 came from budge ( that long ago I can't exactly remember ) which I have restored,A really precision made piece.

pictured on the movie set of 'Attonement'.

And the Naval mount was saved from the scrap man,many of its componants are aluminium so it was an ideal choice for an outside ornament.

Pictured before and after.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

Good job I noticed reference to Atonement. In the misty second pic, the sergeant on the right looks remarkably like a young Uncle Rob, who joined Northumberland Hussars in September 1939, posted to A Sqn, who promptly converted to Light Triple-A and he drove a Bofors tractor up three invasion beaches in Sicily, Messina and Normandy. (TBH I don't think Rob reached the rank of sergeant anyway.)