Apparently Southern Electric (SEB) bought 14 of these in the early 1980's, so there may well be some in the UK that have actually worked here, as opposed to recent imports.

So says a friend of mine who is a bit of a SEB nut (no, I'm not sure why either) anyway. Don't think he has any photos sadly.

I remember these, although not too well as I started with Southern Electricity in 1982. Trekmaster was the name that eventually came to mind. A quick google search produced this; http://sebvehicles.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/seb-uaz-452-trekmaster.html

Great war truck, the numbers should be on the engine block above fuel pump on drivers side. Some times they are painted on chassis in a rear wheel arch.

Ive been running mine for years now, this looks nice and tidy. My 452 is starting to pop the filler out with rust.

Im also admin on Russian Truck forum so i am happy to answer anything if needed, feel free to pm me.

Like wise to owner if he needs any help, not many running in Uk.

Thanks. We found the engine number where you described. It has a chassis plate inside the cab but was wondering if that number is stamped on the chassis anywhere. Possibly not. We will go and have a look in the wheel arch for the painted number but I think that it might have gone.

It is a fun vehicle. I was quite taken with it.

Tim

A friend of mine had a RHD 'Trekmaster' pick up in his yard for a good few years, it had a wooden drop-side body and the cab was pretty flaky. I remember the steering column stalk switches as being from a Morris Marina or such!

Pretty sure I've a sales brochure and handbook for one somewhere too.

Great war truck, the numbers should be on the engine block above fuel pump on drivers side. Some times they are painted on chassis in a rear wheel arch.
Thanks. We found the engine number where you described. It has a chassis plate inside the cab but was wondering if that number is stamped on the chassis anywhere. Possibly not. We will go and have a look in the wheel arch for the painted number but I think that it might have gone.
O.K., men. Mr Stinkypete is slightly wrong. According to official practice, the chassis number on UAZ-452 was marked:

1) Until July 3, 1989 - it was painted with paint on outer side of right hand frame spar in rear part of frame.

2) From July 3, 1989 - the number structure was changed, but this number was painted with paint too, in same place of frame rear part - on outer side of right spar. This way of marking was used until January 1, 1999.

Thus, You must check not the rear wheel arch itself (and not both rear wheel arches, of course), but check right spar of main frame from outer side, which is seen through rear right hand wheel arch.

3) From January 1, 1999 the chassis number is stamped with stamps on frame's rear crossbar # 6, to right side from virtual vertical axis of the vehicle.

To understand these ways of marking, see the image below (the numbers 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 correspond to points of my post above):

UAZ marking.jpg

And You could see some like this (the view through rear right wheel arch):

UAZ number.jpg

And if You do not find anything there -"so wags the world...".

Hope this helps.

If the painted number is not there - and the data plate is missing - trying to register it is an absolute nightmare!!

I wound up being issued a chassis number from DVLA that bore no resemblance to how a real one would look and having to stamp that into the chassis where the original number would have been painted. Took about 8 months of continual letter writing and form filling to get my 469 registered.

• 2 years later...

I am just putting mine up for sale: 

For sale 4X4 Military conversion, UAZ-452

I imported this and was planning to convert this to a camper myself but have got a bigger vehicle to take the kids with me. 

Great condition, in very good order through out, bodywork has been stripped, filled and resprayed, mechanically sound, starts on the button. List of restoration work completed: 

- Sandblasted, filled, sealed resprayed  

- Tanks checked, welded and new fuel sensors installed 

- Brake hoses, cylinders, tyres changed 

- Clutch gaskets changed 

- Most of the electrics changed 

- Compression ratio checked 

- All gaskets changed 

- Valves brushed 

- Piston rings changed 

- Head polished 

- Same for Pumps and Carburetor 

- Engine stripped cleaned / Painted 

- Gearbox and clutch checked and fine tuned 

All it needs now is the internal fit out completing and its good to go. 

£7,995.00

willharold@me.com // 07800571177 

DT11 (Near Blandford Forum / Salisbury / Dorset)

IMG_3788.thumb.JPG.a942042ff186cf169e804c1d3b695d1d.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...