Photographs

Meteor mark 4B

Someone used a photo I had taken in a commercial publication. It wouldn't have been a problem if they had asked, but it is slightly irritating when they don't, or even give a credit. That's my view.

That's copyright infringement and is a no-no under the 1988 Act but it goes on all the time. You can legitimately demand payment from the publisher if you really want to chase them. It doesn't mean you'll get it.

M

On joining the forum you agreed to abide by the forum rules... anyone can use material posted on the forum as stated in the copyright section. http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?517-Forum-RULES-GUIDELINES

Copyright

All material on this Web site, including text, graphics and photographs is copyright of the Historic Military Vehicle Forum unless otherwise stated and protected by UK and international copyright laws. "All rights reserved"

Text and graphics may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium by signed up members only of the Historic Military Vehicle Forum provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading manner, and is used only for the purposes of any personal educational research use.

However, the copying, publication or distribution of any text or graphics contained in this website for any commercial or other purposes is not authorized unless permission is first obtained from the Historic Military Vehicle Forum.

Members may only post images/txt on the forum if they own the copyright to them or have written permission from the copyright owner to publish them, in posting images on the forum you are confirming that you have these rights to post the images/text. If we suspect any material which breaches someone's copyright we will remove it until proven otherwise.

I don't think, however, that posting your photographs on here transfers your copyright to HMVF. If so, then I'll not be posting anymore!

You're not, it's worded like that to stop anyone using your photos for unauthorised use as most members don't add a copyright watermark to their photos.

Rule eddited for clarity.

Copyright

All material on this Web site, including text, graphics and photographs is copyright of the Historic Military Vehicle Forum unless otherwise stated and protected by UK and international copyright laws. "All rights reserved" (Photographs, copyright also remains with the orignal owner).

Text and graphics may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium by signed up members only of the Historic Military Vehicle Forum provided it is reproduced accurately and not used in a misleading manner, and is used only for the purposes of any personal educational research use.

However, the copying, publication or distribution of any text or graphics contained in this website for any commercial or other purposes is not authorized unless permission is first obtained from the Historic Military Vehicle Forum.

Members may only post images/txt on the forum if they own the copyright to them or have written permission from the copyright owner to publish them, in posting images on the forum you are confirming that you have these rights to post the images/text. If we suspect any material which breaches someone's copyright we will remove it until proven otherwise.

Edited by Marmite!!

How about copyright when someone takes a pic. of me with MY camera?

Or other pics for that matter with MY camera?

As a keen photographer and have read alot about this over the years and basically "the copyright of a photograph belongs to the photographer". The photographer is the person who takes the pfhotograph, regardless of who's camera it is.

When putting pictures on the internet I tend to use small/low resolution jpeg files. Good fr upload and view fine but if somebody wants to print large they are no very good.

I also take photographs for my enjoyment and to share with like minded people, as such I do not generally worry to much about them being copied, but would of course appreciate the credit for the picture.

I would of course expect to be paid for any photographs used for commercial purposes. However I do not actively seek to do this as it would turn my hobby into a job, at which point I would probably lose interest.

As such I feel that the forum's photograph rules are appropriate and fair.

There are many photographic competions being run/sponsored by big 'reputable' companies that expect entrants to hand over all copyright to the organisers/sponsors for them to do as they wish (including commercial gain)

Hope this helps

Mike