MOT Testing Exemptions Consultation VERY IMPORTANT

there is a consultation going on now at dvla to remove ten testing exemptions it will affect a great deal of us find it at dvla search mot testing exemptions consultation.http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/mottestingexemptions/

Edited by griff66

I've just read the whole stinking document and it's going to have a massive adverse effect on those of us who own post 1960 vehicles that are currently MOT exempt.

Display, Educational, Mobile Laboratory, Mobile Crane, Motor Tractors, Locomotives, and lots, lots more are all for the hatchet. Unless you own a pre 1960 vehicle you’re stuffed. How long is it going to be before they end the exemption for pre 1960 vehicles too? I don't object to having a vehicle tested but it's going to prove too expensive to bring these vehicles up to standard (side impact bars, rear bumpers etc) the need to take a day off work to drive down to VOSA to pay over inflated test fee's and all this money and hassle just to take a truck to half a dozen shows a year!!!

This is the start of the slippery slope to killing off the hobby for those of us who don't own businesses or have deep pockets. If they change the pre 1960 exemption then that will be the death blow. I suggest every member on here whether they own a truck or not get an email off to the contact address in the consultation making the case to keep the exemptions for privately owned show vehicles.

I've looked on the MVT website and there isn't one item on this and neither has it been mentioned in CMV. I've already sent an email off to the Chairman of the MVT and I suggest other MVT members do the same, after all what are we paying our subscriptions for?

Interesting post 1960 vehicles........R.I.P:cry:

i have left a phone message with the secretary of imps about this i spoke to vosa today on this matter and got impression that UNLESS people got in touch with dvla/ vosa it will go ahead also noticed at begining of document whole list of people on the consultation list but no site of mvt or imps why not? paul.

Exactly, you have the "Showmans Guild" or whatever it is, but not one major Military vehicle Club or for that matter any Commercial Vehicle club. Even the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs hasn't got anything about it on their website.

We need to act FAST on this as it seems the clubs are unaware of it.

I noticed in the questions that they are also asking what other categories should be subject to future testing, so for those of you who think this doesn't apply to them, think again.

i have left a phone message with the secretary of imps about this i spoke to vosa today on this matter and got impression that UNLESS people got in touch with dvla/ vosa it will go ahead also noticed at begining of document whole list of people on the consultation list but no sign of mvt or imps why not? paul.

Paul,

If you read your club magazine, whether MVT or IMPS, etc. You will find regular articles from the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs. Most of the old car, motorcycle, commercial, bus, mv, etc. clubs in this country belong to the FBHVC and they are actively checking on all this sort of legislation whether it be from the UK or EU, which would effect member clubs. They have more "clout" than individual clubs and have managed to get amendments, etc in the past. It may be worth checking their website to see if there is any mention of this consultation.

• Like 1

As mentioned the FBHVC have nothing on their website about this proposal. I've already sent an email to their Secretary. We only have until the 19th of March to get all the relevent people interested before the consultation is closed.:wow:

C'mon guys contact as many organisations as you can, your local MP, and most importantly the contact in the consultation document.

We need an exemption for private owners that do not use there vehicles for business purposes, as this is what it seems to be aimed at but will effect us all if we lie back and take it.

RICHARD just looked thru autumn 09 imprint mag and no mention of this i think it might have come in under the radar!

I would be very surprised if FBHVC were unaware of this, because it is not on their website, does not mean they are not working on it. As for not being in the Autumn 09 Imprint, well the consultation was not announced until Dec 09 on my understanding of what it says on the website, so be fair to the club.

One thing that might put them off implementing this for private owners is if they have to compensate us for loss of our hobby. Remember the firearms Bill.!!!:cry:

I`m sure it would mount into the millions, not sure the Government would want that.....but then again?:shocked:

may be some one from FBHVC could post a reply on the forum it would be great if a organization could give there thoughts on this and what there doing about it, unless it has slipped in under the radar!:

Edited by griff66

Hang on a sec- how much exactly is this going to cost yearly? I was under the impression (from having a quick look round before finding out about the pre 1960 exemption) that it's o=not *too* expensive to MOT a 4 or 6 wheeled vehicle- am I wrong? I admit that it'll be a pain if it does go through but it's not the end of the world- after all, everyone else has to have MOT's. As a newby to this game I was looking on it as a bonus we are lucky to have, as opposed to a given right.

I'm not saying don't fight it- could there be a petition perhaps, or a swamp them with angry letters- but if it does go through, well we'll just have to shrug our shoulders and carry on. It's not the end of the world as we know it.

OK my last comments are somewhat "doomsday.ish". (A little bit maybe!!).

But at the moment we are obliged to maintain our vehicles in a roadworthy condition, up to their original spec. If we have to comply with commercial vehicle standards that is a huge difference and it could be prohibatively expensive to comply and maintain at that standard. It is not the same as your annual car test.

Everyone out there that is concerned with commercial vehicles will be aware of what could be waiting for us if we have to fit in with LGV tests.

• Like 1

Well I have just sent my e-mail to them...

Dear Joanne,

As a private owner of a number of Historic Vehicles one of which is currently exempted from plating and testing under Section 44 of the road traffic act STGO I would like to propose that an exemption is retained for vehicles that will not physically fit through a current VOSA test station.

To put this in simple terms the tractor unit I own is 10' (3.05m) wide and will not fit down the lanes of the test centre. The wheel track is such that the tyres would not fit onto the roller brake tester. The vehicle is in the tax category Private HGV. On the very few occasions the vehicle is moved on the road it is always after a "movement order" has been submitted to the relevant Police authority it will be travelling in or passing through. The vehicle is fully insured for road use.

The vehicle is used at most 10 times in any one year covering a total mileage of no more than 250 miles.

The vehicle is maintained to an extremely high standard far exceeding current requirements for vehicles operated commercially.

Please advise how you would propose to accommodate my requirements under the proposals in the consultation document ?

Best Regards

John M Riley

• Like 1

Well that is a fair point, I must admit I was thinking along the lines of a test similar to that for my old 1971 Land Rover, where basically if it didn't pass it shouldn't have been on the road anyway- basically tyres, a basic brake functionality test taking into consideration the age, power and speed of the vehicle, lights, and a look/ grab it and wiggle it test for any worn steering and suspension components, along with a check for any structural corrosion. None of these should be a major issue, as we ought to keep our vehicles maintained to this standard anyway- the only possible sticking point being corrosion in cabs etc which could get termed structural by an over zealous tester.

Expecting a Pioneer for example to get through a 2010- standard LGV test is a different kettle of fish entirely- what actually are they proposing? It's not really clear (to me) from the thingy posted.

Edit: just realised a Pioneer is still exempt (age) so a bad example, but the point still stands ish.

Edited by brianthesnail96
I forgot that WW2 happened before 1960...

OK my last comments are somewhat "doomsday.ish". (A little bit maybe!!).

But at the moment we are obliged to maintain our vehicles in a roadworthy condition, up to their original spec. If we have to comply with commercial vehicle standards that is a huge difference and it could be prohibatively expensive to comply and maintain at that standard. It is not the same as your annual car test.

Everyone out there that is concerned with commercial vehicles will be aware of what could be waiting for us if we have to fit in with LGV tests.

Exactly. Getting the trucks fit for modern HGV testing standards changes the whole look of the vehicle with under run protection, the engineering of a rear bumper etc. For someone who only does a handfull of shows a year like most of us, the cost just isn't worth it. Our vehicles are only of interest to other collectors so there is no commercial market to sell the vehicle on. Who is going to buy a vehicle subject to test with all the hassle that goes with it when they can spend their money on a test exempt vehicle?

I would write a letter to my MP if I really thought it would make any difference whatsoever!

If it's another excuse to screw more cash out of people who have some, it'll get through.

Got to laugh at the cost benefits section of the reoprt. All the accident costs are based on guessed figures for test exempt vehicles involved in 2008 accidents as they don't actually have any real figures, adds up to around £6 million. It doesn't really matter as all the costs are going to be borne by the operators £8.5 million a year. So all in all it's a win win for the government.

Well that is a fair point, I must admit I was thinking along the lines of a test similar to that for my old 1971 Land Rover, where basically if it didn't pass it shouldn't have been on the road anyway- basically tyres, a basic brake functionality test taking into consideration the age, power and speed of the vehicle, lights, and a look/ grab it and wiggle it test for any worn steering and suspension components, along with a check for any structural corrosion. None of these should be a major issue, as we ought to keep our vehicles maintained to this standard anyway- the only possible sticking point being corrosion in cabs etc which could get termed structural by an over zealous tester.

Expecting a Pioneer for example to get through a 2010- standard LGV test is a different kettle of fish entirely- what actually are they proposing? It's not really clear (to me) from the thingy posted.

Edit: just realised a Pioneer is still exempt (age) so a bad example, but the point still stands ish.

I've taken plenty of HGV's down to VOSA for their annual test and I can assure you that's it's not like the situation you describe above. It's not like you can take the vehicle to any station you like either. There are a lot of things that also need to be considered, like when you change the tyres on an HGV you can't just go ahead and change road tyres for all terrain tyres, you need to apply to VOSA for permission to change them and then get them inspected.