WW1 British Tanks under restoration in Russia

ajmac

This is always a good place to start when seeing what's going on in Russia, a friend from work who has a Russian wife put me on to it a couple of years ago, I have a look now and again for anything interesting.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=5241

Although the photo looks washed out and old, the clothing looks current so this must have been within the last few years.

Edited by ajmac

I assume these photos were taken during a restoration, with the latter photos in the park being the finished product.

They must have been in poor state looking at the cracks requiring welding and the replacement panels being welded in place.

If these are static displays then one takes that it is not operational mechanically. May be another full restoration another day!

What ever it's good to see the tanks maintained to a state of preservation, rather than decaying.

If it is Govt funded, well done.

Tim from your comments; Whats the worry with ownership ?

I would like a shed of that size, and would have a good go at filling it.

Doug

They must have been in poor state looking at the cracks requiring welding and the replacement panels being welded in place.

Hi Doug,

In my local town there stands a WW1 Mark IV Female tank, it has stood there after being driven to the spot, since 1919. I was asked along with another person, a few years ago, to inspect it with view to doing some conservation work on it. A long story about how the tank is now, but these cracks are common on this early armour. I understood it to be hardened boiler plate and with stress caused by rust building up in joints, etc, these plates have become very brittle, and can literally shatter. Looking at the pics of the Russian ones, I would think they were handled on the frames they stand on, because even with welding them, any stresses on hoisting would create more cracks.

The one I refer to is now an official historic monument and that is how it should be.

regards, Richard

If it is Govt funded, well done.

Tim from your comments; Whats the worry with ownership ?

Doug

Tanks in Russia keep dissapearing. A Stug 3 went from a memorial and a Tiger tank went from a museum as well. Probably went for scrap. The Russians have realsied there is a great value to this stuff and have been nicking it and selling it off. Mind you selling off a WW1 tank might not be easy to do.

...but these cracks are common on this early armour. I understood it to be hardened boiler plate and with stress caused by rust building up in joints, etc, these plates have become very brittle, and can literally shatter. ...

Photo from Mk V** Female at Bovington. (Apart from the obvious damage, if one looks carefully one can see several hairline cracks propagating off)

142_4266.jpg