From Norway

ehs

Hello. My name is Eivind and I live 50 clicks south of Oslo, Norway.

My main hobby is vintage Land Rovers, which led me to your forum searching for data on my Sankey trailers.

The Norwegian armed forces bought apx 800 Land Rover series 3 109 HTs in 1974/75. They went out of service in 1999/2000 and I have a couple of them. These land rovers were build to special specs for the Norwegian armed forces, including room for 9.00x16 tyres, one-ton gearbox, springs and chassis, yet a standard 24v three-bearing 2,25 petrol.

Other cars of interest to HMVF would be my 1967 LR 109 s2a Marshall ambulance, my 1970 s2b FC fire truck and a 1961 s2 Fire dept personel carrier.

I also have a Rosetta cargo trailer (bantam/polynorm clone) and a Ben Hur water trailer, as well as the allready mentioned Sankeys. I am considering using the Ben Hur for brewing bitter, as all the reasonable priced beers in Norway are lagers. :-D

I am coming over to UK during easter to purchase a LR 1/2 ton airportable lightweight.

I visit UK three or four times per year. I usually fly over, then drive back in a newly bought Land Rover. Sometimes I sell the LR to one of my fellow enthusiasts, sometimes I keep them to myself.

I am an active participant in the Norwegian Land Rover ennthusiast's society, currently the third most contributing writer on the Norwegian LR forum: www.lrforum.com/forum.

Now I'm on the lookout for technical details for my Sankey Trailer MK2. I have all data necessary for my two other Sankeys; they are MK3.

I am looking forward to finding out more about your forum.

Take care, now. I'm off to bed.

Eivind

Hi you are very welcome! Norway is quite well represented here. By the way can go and give Marty a belt round the ear? He's been showing off that unlike us poor English idiots you lot can deal with snow.You lot should never have got rid of your Dodges! Mind you that means I wouldn't have mine.

Thank you for a warm welcome.

What engine is in that BV? The mercedes diesel?

I would like to have one of those, but they are quite expencive here in Norway, even though they are made by our neighbours..... :cry:

The Norwegian armed forces bought apx 800 Land Rover series 3 109 HTs in 1974/75. They went out of service in 1999/2000 and I have a couple of them. These land rovers were build to special specs for the Norwegian armed forces, including room for 9.00x16 tyres, one-ton gearbox, springs and chassis, yet a standard 24v three-bearing 2,25 petrol.

Eivind,

Welcome to this forum. Interesting to read about the Norwegian Army Land Rovers. I did not know they were so different. A quick Google search did not yield a lot of info - only one pic, see below. Can you tell us more about the specs? Do you have pictures?

Thanks & regards,

Hanno (from Holland)

2441197942_ed7b86f780.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Maybe i should make an arcticle about the Norwegian Army spec LR 109 and post it in the correct forum.

In the meantime, I'll write a few cue words off the top of my mind:

109 wheelbase.

3-door hardtop, LHD

More than half of the vehicles have an opening in the roof, above the passenger seat for one gunman/scout.

24volts

3-bearing petrol engine.

Military spec shielded electrics.

Rover front axle

Salisbury rear axle.

Nato hitch

bench seats for 8 soldiers in the rear cab.

two individual seats in the front cab.

Battery compartment replaces the middle front seat.

24volts sockets, two or three on the rearside of the cab bulk head, two on the right hand rear wall.

Sockets for reading lights, one in the front cab, one in the rear cab.

Webasto petrol air cab heater. (works very good if maintained!)

Holders for flags/banners etc.

5pcs 6,5x16 one-ton rims, bonnet mounted spare. 7.50x16 Viking Knobby tyres.

One-ton low ratio all helical gear box (same as in my 110 s2b Forward control)

One-ton springs

One ton raised shackles.

Generous wheel arches. (low ratio gear box + lift + bigger wheel arches makes room for 9.00x16 tyres) *)

Two fuel tanks, holding in total 126 litres. (with petrol prices peaking 1£40 pr litre, a visit to the petrol station is something to remember)

All-in-all a very competent personel-carrier which also was used as a radio-unit (with specially fitted radio tables).

*) The Norwegian Army wanted 9.00x16 (or more correct: 8.90x16 tyres) to collaborate spare tyre stocks for LR 109 and the existing Volvo Laplander L-3314 (see photo below). The bigger tires made the LRs less manouvreable, and the Norwegian Army stuck to the standard 7.50x16. Together with the low ratio gearbox, one would say that the Norwegian spec LR was slow, noisy and thristy, yet competent in terrain driving. Conversion to so-called "civilian gearbox" was (and still is) quite common after these LRs were released.

Here is the Nowegian Army spec Laplander:

800px-VolvoL3314N.jpg

The Norwegian Army spec Land Rover:

rover2.jpg

My first Land Rover (in 2002):

DSCF0050.JPG

Regards, Eivind

Maybe i should make an arcticle about the Norwegian Army spec LR 109 and post it in the correct forum.

In the meantime, I'll write a few cue words off the top of my mind:

Eivind,

Thanks, sounds like a purposeful military spec. That is the beauty of LR's, customers being able to spec their own vehicles from the LR "Meccano box of parts". But not always a succes, as we have seen with Dutch Army Series 3 LR's.

That camouflage scheme makes it look even more purposeful! Is it the same as the Swedish M90 scheme?

Looking forward to the article! ;)

Hanno

Edited by mcspool