road registering a ferret

griff66

Question

17 answers to this question

You need a V55/5 (have to pick up in person from DVLA local office as they're serial-numbered...or I think they can post one to you if you can get your way through their phone system).

Then the rest is on here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022316

It helps a lot if you have some form of former registration (gold-standard is MOD Form 654) - where did it come from? Has it been road-registered before? You'll also need a V112 for MOT exemption if it's old enough to be 'historic'.

Top tip is to pick two forms up at the same time as you're pretty much guaranteed to mess one up ;)

Stone

Have you got the letter from the Tank Museum declaring the date in service? You will need this in order to register it.

Use Footman James for insurance. Insure it on the MOD number as this is what will be on the dating letter.

Get it insured (I would have used the chassis number) then fill out the V55/5 with as much info as possible. If MOT exempt get a V112/G and fill that out and hand in when getting it registered.

Take some pictures of the vehicle as some DVLA offices will send out a Vehicle Inspector, photo's usually keep them happy. If you have a letter from a DVLA approved source you will get a age related number. They will give you a number plate authorization form so you can get your number plates made up and tax disc. You should get your V5 in about a week to 10 days.

Good luck.

Get it insured (I would have used the chassis number) then fill out the V55/5 with as much info as possible. If MOT exempt get a V112/G and fill that out and hand in when getting it registered.

Nope, it's a V112 - V112G is 'Apply for exemption from goods vehicle testing'. As it's not a goods vehicle you use the other form.

Also worth taking rubbings of the chassis number if applicable - they can and have got funny about verifying them. They wanted me to trailer a Bedford MJ 60 miles to the local office so beware!

Stone

just got thru to brighton office sending me 2 v55/5 forms now sorting out insurance under build no can change this once got age related number plate.

Good luck with that! I tried to register a MKII Ferret at Brighton when I lived in Eastbourne. I phoned first & spoke to (Eventually!) The vehicle inspector type chappie. NO WAY was he going to register it as MOT exempt!! :-X I found a way round it VERY easily, but you will have to PM me for the answer! :angel:

. I was told later that Maidstone are VERY good as they have dealt with a lot of guys from IMPS & were familiar with our brand of vehicles.

This was a few years ago now, hopefully that particular inspector has left! :-D

It seems that the standards of interpretation vary from office to office. As some of our members have found out when attempting to renew thier Road tax licences!

Dont forget: If granted MOT exemption, this does NOT exempt you from keeping the vehicle in a roadworthy condition!

Best of luck, Mike. ;)

standing by to be corrected ,the way i understand it is v55/5 will give a age related plate,have letter from tank museum and dating letter from imps,to confirm date in service 1964 .,they might send inspector to actually see mv exists ,have got insurance in place , then when i have v5 in my mitts down to post office with relevant docs and form v112g that i declare that mv is mot exempt,agree that mv must be kept in roadworthy condition. vertical learning curve for me at moment!.

Nope, it's a V112 - V112G is 'Apply for exemption from goods vehicle testing'. As it's not a goods vehicle you use the other form.

Also worth taking rubbings of the chassis number if applicable - they can and have got funny about verifying them. They wanted me to trailer a Bedford MJ 60 miles to the local office so beware!

Stone

I think I am correct with the V112G Stone, he will need this for MOT exemption as the Ferret is not a motor car.

I think I am correct with the V112G Stone, he will need this for MOT exemption as the Ferret is not a motor car.

Yep, you were right, sorry. If it's under 3500kg unladen it should be a car IIRC, a Ferret scrapes over. I suppose technically you couldn't drive it on a Cat B either!

Stone

standing by to be corrected ,the way i understand it is v55/5 will give a age related plate,have letter from tank museum and dating letter from imps,to confirm date in service 1964 .,they might send inspector to actually see mv exists ,have got insurance in place , then when i have v5 in my mitts down to post office with relevant docs and form v112g that i declare that mv is mot exempt,agree that mv must be kept in roadworthy condition. vertical learning curve for me at moment!.

The V55/5 form is for the registration of your vehicle. The info you put on here will appear on your V5 (but not all of the info will be on it) You will need to fill this out with as much info as possible. The guide to filling it out will state what to leave blank (which is most of it) If you haven't got a chassis number then I would think you will need to put down the hull number in it's place. Question 46 will ask you if it's Type Approval exempt. You answer Yes to this as it's an Armoured vehicle and also because of it's age. If it's over 3,500Kgs you will need to answer question 49, which asks if it is exempt from the Goods Vehicles (plating and testing) Regulations 1988. You will need to tick YES for this to be recorded as an MOT exempt vehicle.

The V112/G is a decleration of MOT exempt status, you fill this out and hand it over at the time of registration to declare that it's MOT exempt. The DVLA will keep this form.

The letter you have confirming the date in service will be the evidence DVLA use to issue you with an age related number plate.

If your lucky, everything will go smoothly and they will issue you with a registration number there and then and a Number Plate authorization form for you to get your reg plates made up. You hand over the money they want and that's it. You will walk out with a Number Plate Authorization form and a Tax Disc (which in your case will be free:-D)

Then in 12 months time when it's due another tax disc, take your renewal form along with an insurance certificate, V5 (just in case) and a completed form V112/G down to the Post Office where they will issue you with another 12 months free tax. Once you walk out of DVLA that's it.

It does all depend on who you get at the local DVLA as to how smooth the whole process is.