Thames sunken ammo ship in 1944

phil munga

I was talking to a friend that had been down the river Thames sight seeing and he told me about seeing a sunken ammunition ship The American Liberty ship, 1199 Richard Montgomery now lies in the Thames estuary ,It is thought that around half her cargo still remains, perhaps from 1,200 tons to 3,000 tons of munitions containing TNT and he made it sound like its an unstable ticking bomb just waiting to explode , Here's a link to see what you think

http://www.ssrichardmontgomery.com/images/swalemontgomery.htm

Originally Posted by ford 369 viewpost.gif

quit a famous wreck this one and one that I seem to remember has been discussed on here before

Nigel

Thanks for that , I find this a little odd because I did a search in the search bar in the "search forums" as well as google , I'll have to search harder next time :sweat:

As I understand it -

If the thing went up it is thought sheppy would be submerged and half of the Essex coast would be flooded too.

Best re-think the house in Leigh then.

If it goes up - so does the dirty great refinery on Canvey Island.. Anyone want to work out the blast radius???

The bad news is that things on board may still go bang. The good news is that with the detereration of the stuff on board, it is unlikley that a chain reaction would start. The idea of it removing half of Essex (I'll reserve comment on that :cool2: ) is something of an urban myth, but is useful to keep the oiks away.

• 2 weeks later...
They say it's too dangerous to move - but too dangerous to stay!!!

I guess if Boris gets his way and puts a new London airport in the Thames estuary they will have to dispose of the munitions before the building can start!

Maybe we can get Gordon Brown and his MP's to attend the initiation ceremony and have him mark it by breaking a bottle of champange over the wreck!! :evil: :evil: :evil: