6 pdr 7cwt

Cracked on with the restoration of the 6 pdr over the past couple of days.I had difficulty sliding the barrel on to the recuperator,I think the slipper must have been very slightly bent but a bit of a push with the old tractor pushed it home.

I have to fabricate the main gunsheild next,so I need the find patterns,dimensions etc.

I still need to find the sight assembly if anyone out there can help.

Pics attached.

Rob...............rnixartillery collection.

DSCF2621.jpg

DSCF2615.jpg

DSCF3156.jpg

DSCF3177.jpg

DSCF3187.jpg

• 1 month later...
Cracked on with the restoration of the 6 pdr over the past couple of days.I had difficulty sliding the barrel on to the recuperator,I think the slipper must have been very slightly bent but a bit of a push with the old tractor pushed it home.

I have to fabricate the main gunsheild next,so I need the find patterns,dimensions etc.

I still need to find the sight assembly if anyone out there can help.

Pics attached.

Rob...............rnixartillery collection.

Nice work Rob, couldnt help noticing the N.O.S boxed spares on the shelf in the background!......:cool2:

Mike.

Mike.

The boxes are full of ex government NOS nuts and bolts,When I restore I like to if possible re-new all fixings like for like.

However these old sizes are getting harder to find.

As for 6 pounder parts I can't find much at all,so its a case of 'make do and mend'.:undecided:

Rob.........................rnixartillery.

Rob,

Looks like you have a fab workshop there. Do you refabricate all the parts yourself or get them done for you?

Dave

Hi Dave

I do as much as I can myself. stripping,fabricating,welding and spraying ,it can be a pain in the arse sometimes as i am 'a one man band' and some times you need two pairs of hands,which is when 'her in doors' helps out and a great job she does too.

I have a great deal of turning work done, it seems with Artillery that lots of the little bits are worn out,brocken or missing so I know this guy who is an absolute magician on the lathe .

It is not easy finding parts for these guns so normally the parts have to be fabricated.

As this is my hobby the more I do the cheaper the finished job.

I restored an American 105mm M2 Howitzer last year and wanted the cleaning staffs for the Barrel,couldn't find any anywhere so I made them.

Rob...................................rnixartillery.

HPIM1205.jpg

DSCF3763.jpg

• 5 months later...

I managed to get some work in on the 6 pdr recently completeing the lower sheild and fabricating the splinter plate that hangs down below the gun.I ended up having to make the hinges as there was nothing I could find suitable.final job is to fabricate the main sheild which is a bit more technical,a friend of mine will plasma cut the plate and fold the correct rake leaving me with tarting up jobs .

Rob....................rnixartillery

DSCF3887.jpg

DSCF3933.jpg

DSCF3931.jpg

DSCF3885.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I presume that as the 6pdr was virtually obscelete by the end of the war that eventually (15 years later?) they were sold off to developing armed forces... do we know where they went? Perhaps that is where to look for spares and wrecks? I'm on the look out for any parts that I can find as the long term plan is to tow one behind the Loyd:D Did you manage to locate your basis for restoration in the UK, or did you have to go overseas?

Edited by ajmac

I presume that as the 6pdr was virtually obscelete by the end of the war that eventually (15 years later?) they were sold off to developing armed forces... do we know where they went? Perhaps that is where to look for spares and wrecks? I'm on the look out for any parts that I can find as the long term plan is to tow one behind the Loyd:D Did you manage to locate your basis for restoration in the UK, or did you have to go overseas?

My Project was located in the UK but took almost two years to conclude a deal to purchase the piece.These guns are extremely hard to find and VERY sort after,I was very suprised to see the one on milweb for sale but I'm sure it will fetch a high price.

I doubt it will come to the UK though.

Rob........................rnixartillery.

• 1 year later...

Alastair,I took a couple of pics of the few rounds I could get too,I have more but they are buried under loads of crap !

Pictured is a C263 ammo box and the 6 pdr tool box that is listed in the spares book,Rounds from the left are APDS,DRILL,HE,AP and another APDS.

The second pic showes a very unusual B166 box stenciled to take 6 pdr Blanks,dated '44.

If I unearth anymore I will take some snaps.

Rob.....................rnixartillery.

DSCF6761.jpg

DSCF6765.jpg

An antiques dealer colleague had yesterday, a good 1942 shellcase. I intended to post a notice about it this morning but he has sold it as a stick stand for £25 .

What is the right price if I should ever see another ?

David.

Edited by David B.