Stonefield

fesm_ndt

If i remember rightly. Didnt the demise of Stonefield. Later renamed Gomba Stonfield come about after a rather dubious Asian businessman bought the company in the late 80,s. Panarama once did an expose on him and some of his business deals. The company went bust in the early 90,s.

Edited by Lord Burley

Dodgy deals......... hmmmmmm 'alledgedly' :) from what I been told you would be spot on.

Malaysia was the only country that gave a large contract to Stonefield. A small number went to the middle east. I was reading the last lot that arrived here had no diffs but were still being paid for.

The Goombas went to the Army here and the diesel ones went to the police. The diesel ones 'I think' look a lot better

The diffs are extremely rare, hence I shipped some back to the UK several months back. I think they would be quite a different vehicle but the market price for the petrol ones is very low in UK. Was looking at jamming one in a container with some other stuff that was getting shipped but never happened. It's a pity as the whole saga around the Stonefield seems mired in the typical government interference in MOD affairs type deal. From this set of trials the RB44 was selected. I have a bit of a soft spot for them, in that respect.

The Stonefields were designed in the old stonefield laundry in Paisley, hence where the name comes from. A family friend was one of the company directors when they where going through the MOD trials. One of the founders of the company was the man who brought the first Volvo trucks into the country as Ailsa Volvo. The family friend still has tons of info on the vehicles from his time with the company. Are there any of these vehicles still around in Scotland?

Edited by specopcaptain

The Stonefields were designed in the old stonefield laundry in Paisley, hence where the name comes from. A family friend was one of the company directors when they where going through the MOD trials. One of the founders of the company was the man who brought the first Volvo trucks into the country as Ailsa Volvo. The family friend still has tons of info on the vehicles from his time with the company. Are there any of these vehicles still around in Scotland?

There is a Stonefield forum... http://stonefield.takeforum.com/2009/02/23/stonefield-in-malaya/

not very active as I think the number of Stonefields in the UK is not many. There is a guy on there trying to put the history together as there is nothing out there about them.

I know of two in a Junkyards here and one on the road.

An ex-member of our group had a Stonefield, did quite a few shows up to the mid 90s, got no photo's unfortunately. He got it as a rolling chassis with no engine or gearbox and dropped in a Perkins 6.354 and an LT95 box out of a Rangie with air operated tbox. He couldn't understand why it kept blowing centre diffs until he checked the diff ratios. Turned out they are different front and rear and the original New Process transfer box was torque apportioning, cured by fitting 101 axles! It was right mongrel of a machine in the end. Think he still has but he now uses a Unimog.

Can remember the v early 4wd mags reviewing it in the early 80s (along with other stillborn 4wd ideas!) and in the bad snow in 1987 Kent police and ambulance sevices had 6 wheelers on loan. Went past the assembly plant in Strrod a few times when the Malaysian order was being built.

• 2 weeks later...

I snapped one at Thruxton D-Day show in 2001. It was an ex-police diving unit vehicle but was painted green. I agree they are interesting and the story seems to be one of all manner of unfortunate circumstances coming together. I only know the snippets mentioned in previous posts. Nice to see Mike has found a few in Malaysia. Always good to see something different.

MB

A couple of other raritys to remember The Esarco. I think CMV or MM did an aricle on it last month. And even rarer. The Glover Webb Tureag DPV. Apparently one was used on trial by the SAS during Granby. I have only seen a few pictures of one. But there is one in existance in the Cobham area.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Another Stonefield with the Goomba upgrade

I was asked what it was worth today and my brain had two thoughts:

1. The vehicle is an increasingly rare piece of English (Scottish) manufacture and the diesel versions are even rarer as the Malaysian Army was the only country to buy them on a large scale.

2. The vehicle is pretty much an orphan on the collectors list and petrol examples on Ebay are lucky to get over 1000 quid.

There was talk of a book being written about the Stonefield history which would be an interesting read given the decision to buy RB 44's made many people bitter and I guess more so now that the the RB 44 was not a huge success.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49295[/ATTACH]