chieftain 2000

afvnut75

Can anyone shed any light on the chieftain 2000 on withams tender ie does anyone know what that status of it is ie is it a runner ?

And would it be a better here and now investment rather than waiting for the challengers to come out ? And how could i hide it from the misses ? Your thoughts please on this ! as it could be my first mbt. :sweat:

thanks

Dear AFVNUT,

I think you are a brave man for considering such a beast. I hope for your sake you have the following:-

Deep pockets, a secure covered preferably heated workshop, available paid minions or a bevy of skilled friends, an unlimited supply of beer to pay said friends, something of equal or larger size as a recovery vehicle when it breaks down in the back 40 acres.

We have CVR(T) and they are in my humble opinion along with the venerable 432 about the largest tracked vehicle any sane person would own with reasonable ease.

The question that races through my mind rather than buying an unkown why not have a go at the one on MILWEB that is already a known runner?

I wish you luck my son

Robin

Robin is entirely correct. I take it you have the 40 acres to go with it? Not to mention the low loader required to move it about? You can't drive one on the roads, and you'll need a lot of open space to get it up to speed!

Well i did have the idea of ringing duxford military vehicle wing as i know them very well as i used to work there from 1997 onwards in the hope that they would jump at the chance of allowing me to keep it there but im not sure if they have 40 acres to spare more like 20 but it would be a benefit to them and to me i always think ahead and have a plan b guess it all might hang on their answer .

I think you'd be looking at £2000+ for a pack, whoever you bought it from. There are plenty of things that can go wrong, brakes, steering, gearbox, electrics, you'll need a big wallet and some heavy lifting gear.

I read it as having a Rolls V12 not the Leyland and I doubt there are many of those available.

No the hull was a standard Mk10 03EB35 the RR engined variant was the Chieftain 900, the turret and hull of Chieftain 900 were de-coupled and the hull 56MS78 went to Lulworth as a target and the 900 turret was fitted to 03EB35 and was used in tests by Marconi and BAE systems.

No the hull was a standard Mk10 03EB35 the RR engined variant was the Chieftain 900, the turret and hull of Chieftain 900 were de-coupled and the hull 56MS78 went to Lulworth as a target and the 900 turret was fitted to 03EB35 and was used in tests by Marconi and BAE systems.

So does that mean then that the one that withams have up for sale is leyland engined or rr ?

yes, it should be a Leyland L60 No4 Mk13A and a Tn12 Mk4 gearbox, unless some-one fitted something else while it was a test vehicle, but I imagine the tests had to do with the turret, radio or sights- its easier moving the turret around on a tank hull rather than anything else -although at the Newcastle BAE plant (formerly Vickers) warrior turrets were moved around on turretless Abbot prototype.

Well after a long period of weighing up the pros and con ive decided to to go for the chieftian 2000 as after some of you have rightly mentioned it would be easier just to get a mk 10 or an chieftain arrv thats a known runner, And hopefully later on in the near future i will be able to acquire enough space and money to own and run successfully one of these green and black bruts .

Thank you all for giving me advice about this vehicle over the time that i put up my request about the said vehicle .

im really grateful for your input on the subject .

regards

cameron

Well, I think its very sad that a vehicle with this one's history isn't in the Bovington Tank Museum. Oh, I forgot, they're spending all their money on the Tiger.........perhaps Kevin Wheatcroft will buy it, perhaps not, he's busy with a boat at present.

Some years ago, I spotted a Chieftain 900 on the range at Lulworth awaiting "the treatment" as a hard target, equally sad.

You might have noticed I'm keen on BRITISH hardware, I cannot understand why there is SO much money spent on the Tiger, only that it brings in the punters, I guess. We had a tank that was unreliable, over-engineered, and cumbersome like the Tiger-the Conqueror, and they don't make a fuss about it at all. If you've never heard and seen a Conqueror on the move you might not understand, but it sounded and looked GREAT!