My Land Rover Wolf XD 110

sas pinkie

Well as some of you may know I had a 90 Wolf Hard top which was my every day driver, as well as my 110 xD WMIK which is my show toy.

I loved the 90, it did everything asked of it well but had two draw backs. I found the space in the back is very limited, and just too small for my needs, and I have always prefered the look of the 110 over the 90.

But all this was academic or so I thought, as I could never afford a fully running genuine 110 xD (prices seem to have rocketed, with good examples fetching between £15000 - £18000 now). This was until a guy approached me at the Land rover show last Sept asking if I knew anyone wanting to purchase a 110 Wolf in its release condition (ie smashed to bits). It just so happened it was within what I could afford, so I jumped at the chance. I sold the 90 xD and the 110 was delivered to my door just before Xmas.

Here it was in his yard. It had been here for five years, untouched.

DSCF0774.jpg

DSCF0773.jpg

DSCF0775.jpg

And here it is as of yesterday, exactly as he delivered it, along with a new chassis thats been outside for five years..... and hard top, chucked in for free, and a load bed full of spares he had purchased for it.

DSCF0967.jpg

DSCF0969.jpg

DSCF0968.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

My plan is to get the chassis galvanised (after blasting) and then over painting it black. I plan to start stripping it over the next few days.

I will update this thread as the rebuild goes on.

Does any one know of a good place to get it blasted and galvinised in the south east area?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks a good project , and like you say the 90s arnt quite big enough ( a 100 inch would be ideal)

The last chassis my father had galvinised -went down to Hull , they picked them up and brought them back the next week , Will need to be shot blasted realy well ,,

how far south east are you

Will do Colt.

Do you have any of the little parts left over, like if you had to buy a pack of 10 bolts for just two, or any of the small little clips left over from your rebuild?

I imagine these are the bits that will add up if have to be bought from Land Rover.

It now looks like this....

DSCF0837.jpg

What are these wheels?

I seen a silver set on a Pinz and thought they were some atermarket thing, never realised they are MOD rims.

I had paid and had on hold a set of Hutchison rims but the seller sold them again (or couldn't count) so my set disappeared)

They are the alloys fitted to WMIKs now in Theatre as they are stronger than the steels (same sort of magnesium alloys as used on rally cars) and somthing to do with withstanding blasts better. They are made by a company called silver line and can be bought by the public, but sit down when you get a price.....

They are the alloys fitted to WMIKs now in Theatre as they are stronger than the steels (same sort of magnesium alloys as used on rally cars) and somthing to do with withstanding blasts better. They are made by a company called silver line and can be bought by the public, but sit down when you get a price.....

Also fitted to the latest version of the Snatch Land Rover, called Vixen.

LAND2008123245.jpg

Edited by recymech66

The Hutchinson rims are around 1500 pounds a set of 4.... I am still annoyed that they disappeared as the Pinz PCD is difficult and they were wider rims.

Anyway I am going for a sulk (and look up Silver Line).... get on with the spanner swinging, I am looking forward to your next set of photos :)

Thanks loggydriver for the link to the galv company, someone else had mentioned Wedge to me.

Karl, I did have tons of small bits in my garage for several years but finally sold most to others building wolf reps. The rarest part I had but sold were Commando roof bars.

Cheers Colt

Are the Pinz on 5 X 130 like the G Wagens

yep, very small choice..... G Wagen rims, but 16" rims are rarer and if can get they are 6.5J

Porsche/VW Toureg have the same bolt pattern but the hub centre is to small

The Hutchinsons were great wider and military.

I am curious what the price per Blindo rim is http://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.com/4x4/aluminiumwheels/blindowheels.htm :-\

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks loggydriver for the link to the galv company, someone else had mentioned Wedge to me.

Karl, I did have tons of small bits in my garage for several years but finally sold most to others building wolf reps. The rarest part I had but sold were Commando roof bars.

Cheers Colt

No worries mate. I see you are South Oxfordshire, same as me, but I've not seen your xD around.

• 5 weeks later...

Well finally after all that snow I have been able to make a start.

Last Saturday I was able to strip off the wing outers (horrible job due to a mass of bent Ali, blocking and hideing all the screws but got there eventually).

Today I have stripped of the inner wings, disconnect the engine loom, all the breathers, air intakes, seats, Starter motor, Doors and the ECU. Hopefully tomorrow I should get the engine out and on the deck. I have also managed to find about %50 of the stuff needed to rebuild it, including a pair of pretty good Wolf take off wings, which I was chuffed to bits with as they are a rare thing indeed (most are kept by the army by Hobsons, or come out absolutley bent and of no use at all).

Here are a few shots of todays work......

DSCF0884.jpg

DSCF0885.jpg

DSCF0887.jpg

DSCF0895.jpg

DSCF0891.jpg

DSCF0896.jpg

DSCF0919.jpg

DSCF0916.jpg

DSCF0918.jpg

DSCF0900.jpg

DSCF0912.jpg