Ferret identification help sought

robin craig

Both... built under contract Number 6/FV/4267

Year 1951

Type: FV701C MK1

Reg numbers under this contract 32BA81-38BA73

Quantity built under this contract 592, this was the third contract ordered. First was for 2 Prototype Ferrets, second contract was for 6 Ferrets.

No1 Hull Number 337 reg 36BA11

No2 Hull Number 447 reg 37BA21

The other digits after the hull numbers are dates but can't remember how to decipher them

Well, well, well aint that interesting.

The thing is, the numbers I posted belong to the two Canadian Mk1 Ferrets that I have bought and am bringing back to Canada.

So all I can assume is that in those times there was some kind of foreign military sales system under which those vehicles were sold to Canada by.

hmm isnt that interesting.

Thanks mate

Robin

Well, well, well aint that interesting.

The thing is, the numbers I posted belong to the two Canadian Mk1 Ferrets that I have bought and am bringing back to Canada.

So all I can assume is that in those times there was some kind of foreign military sales system under which those vehicles were sold to Canada by.

hmm isnt that interesting.

Thanks mate

Robin

The Ferrets for Australia were also allocated British military numbers at around the same time. It may have been because the production run was originally intended solely for British Army, but to speed up delivery to Canada and Australia some were taken out of the run. Just for interest to you, one Aussie Ferret was numbered 37BA23 ( one of yours being 37BA21 )

Thanks for all the pointers.

I am in contact with Colin Stevens already, he doesnt have a listing of hull numbers to registration or CFRs as we call them. I will have to wait until they get here and can rub them down and find the stamped numbers on the hulls.

It seems that the Canadian and Australian vehicles were into service ahead of the British ones.

Just had a bit of a set back on getting them home, because of paperwork delays it is likely they wont be home until the new year.

Robin

Year 1951

That had me in a bit of a sweat. My last rebro Ferret was 33BA81 and I reckoned it was the oldest vehicle in Alanbrooke Bks, Paderborn in 1981

Hello Lee

I saw your post about the canadian Ferrets and was just wondering if you can help me with identification of my ferret. The Hull Number is 1436-5-58. Number 1436, built in May 1958. I think it might be somewhere between 00CA79 to 00CA91....... Any Ideas?

Cheers

Matt

Year 1951

Quantity built under this contract 592, this was the third contract ordered. First was for 2 Prototype Ferrets, second contract was for 6 Ferrets.

No1 Hull Number 337 reg 36BA11

No2 Hull Number 447 reg 37BA21

The other digits after the hull numbers are dates but can't remember how to decipher them

Hello Lee

I saw your post about the canadian Ferrets and was just wondering if you can help me with identification of my ferret. The Hull Number is 1436-5-58. Number 1436, built in May 1958. I think it might be somewhere between 00CA79 to 00CA91....... Any Ideas?

Cheers

Matt

John Guppy's is 00CA92 hull number 1438*5*58 so that should make yours 00CA90

That all I can dig up at the mo..

Cheers Lee