109 FFR Generator Box

searley

Hi, I Richard, a new Landrover 109 FFR owner

sorry my first post is a long one, but there seem to be people here that know about these things :-)

I recently purchased a 109 FFR, which i had doubts were charging regardless of the fact that the ignition light going out!

speaking to the previous owner, when the radio was taken out, the cables were not insulated, they shorted and killed the generator.. he had the generator reconditioned, then never used the vehicle again

i found that the battery charge cable from the shunt box was not connected to anything, but was simply wrapped in insulation tape

i metered the cable with the engine running and got 29.3v, so figured this would charge if connected

i stopped the engine, touched the cable on the positive there was a small spark, i metered this with the positive and was seeing 24.8v meaning that the cable had gone from positive to negative.

i removed the cover to the generator box a fv 760735 no.9 mk.4.. i found the relay to be closed, a light touch and it opened.. i then metered the charge cable and the negative read had gone, closed the relay by hand (engine off) and the negative returned

i have removed the box from the vehicle and found that if i meter from the generator box casing to the relay bracket (connected to the top of the capacitor) with my avo meter set to 20k i get a reading of 5.86 (is this normal) when i close the relay by hand the carries across to pins a&b to the shunt box, hence giving the negative to the battery

i assume i have been lucky, and the generator is ok, as i get a reading of 29v from it???

what is my best way to get the batteries charging again in a safe way??

Thanks Richard

Edited by searley

been thinking a little overnight..

as a safety net incase then relay sticks again, could i pass the output from the shunt box through a marine split charge relay before connecting to the battery as this would stop the risk of the current passing back to the shunt/generator box??

plus the fitting of a battery isolator switch??

just thinking worst case here! what are your thoughts?