WW1 Peugeot

Cel

I have been looking at a few tank sealers, and after talking to a friend who has used it with success it was indeed the most expensive one that I ordered!

This evening I re-assembled the exhaust muffler. We had a new tube rolled out of 2 mm steel plate, cut it to length and only had to tighten the ends up. My father will paint it tomorrow. He also attached the main beams to the chassis.

Last Saturday was a very hot day over here, so I decided to do a more quiet job and installed the new bearings in the gearbox. One bearing had spun around in the housing, causing a bit of wear. I measured the play with a valve clearance gauge, it appeared to be a bit less than 0,2 mm. A 0,1 mm shim was cut to size and put in the housing and to my relief I was able to gently tap the bearing in. Once assembled I also connected the drive shaft which was a quite straightforward job.

Marcel

DSCN1969.jpg

.DSCN1970.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

DSCN2740.jpg

scannen0001.jpg

DSCN1975.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured the play with a valve clearance gauge, it appeared to be a bit less than 0,2 mm. A 0,1 mm shim was cut to size and put in the housing and to my relief I was able to gently tap the bearing in.

One of these might be better at preventing the new bearing spinning:

http://www.euro-bearings.com/tol1.htm

Forget that, they need 2mm, not 0.2mm.

Thanks Andy, luckily they were not that much worn out.

I acquired a postcard that arrived in the mail today. Bought it for the photo but I was amazed with the writing on the back. One of the three men in the photo writes to his parents to say that everything goes well and that he is posing with two friends on their 'ambulance car'.

Marcel

scannen0002.jpg

scannen0001.jpg

Thanks Andy, luckily they were not that much worn out.

I acquired a postcard that arrived in the mail today. Bought it for the photo but I was amazed with the writing on the back. One of the three men in the photo writes to his parents to say that everything goes well and that he is posing with two friends on their 'ambulance car'.

Marcel

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94902[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94903[/ATTACH]

Breakdown lorries were also referred to as 'First Aid' lorries and 'Ambulances', although the term ambulance seems to have been dropped quite early on, by the British at least. A crew of 3 would be rare on a cargo lorry but not unusual on a breakdown lorry.

• 2 months later...

More woodworking today, the cross members are ready to fit. For some reason we managed to fit the rear wheels without the felt seals. So after a couple of hours collecting wood dust I decided to make the new seals. Found two pieces of pipe that matched the dimensions. A 10° edge was turned on one side and in no time the seals were pressed.

Marcel

prepared for cutting with the bandsaw

PA120003.jpg

ready to fit after treating with the band saw and band grinder

PA120005.jpg

inner diameter of the felt seal

PA120006.jpg

pressing the outer diameter

PA120009.jpg

the finished product

PA120010.jpg

ready to fit!

PA120011.jpg

PA120004.jpg

PA120008.jpg

Edited by Cel

Beautiful weather today, so because the forecast says rain for the coming days I decided to try and take the Peugeot out for its first spin. Some minor adjustments are needed but I was amazed how well the gear shifting went!

Marcel

• 3 months later...

Here is a picture of the Peugeot, not finished yet but running very well. I fitted a 145 nozzle in the carb (instead of the 125) and it runs a lot better now. Choke can be released after 1-2 mins running. Although the magneto has no impulse the engine starts very well. I am thinking of keeping a second mag with it just in case, and am looking for one with impulse coupling. I now have to give it two swings, I am quite sure that with impulse it will start 'quart de tour' (1/4 swing) as they say in France. A new cone for the fuel tap was made, as the old one protruded at the end so no way to keep it closed with the spring. A good friend found an acetylene generator which will be fitted next. When I look at the pictures of trucks that have such a generator fitted, there is often a small device fitted next to the generator with two connections. Is it perhaps some sort of water lock?

Regards

Marcel

PB010083.jpg

P1290263.jpg

Peugeot.jpg

Here is a picture of the Peugeot, not finished yet but running very well. I fitted a 145 nozzle in the carb (instead of the 125) and it runs a lot better now. Choke can be released after 1-2 mins running. Although the magneto has no impulse the engine starts very well. I am thinking of keeping a second mag with it just in case, and am looking for one with impulse coupling. I now have to give it two swings, I am quite sure that with impulse it will start 'quart de tour' (1/4 swing) as they say in France. A new cone for the fuel tap was made, as the old one protruded at the end so no way to keep it closed with the spring. A good friend found an acetylene generator which will be fitted next. When I look at the pictures of trucks that have such a generator fitted, there is often a small device fitted next to the generator with two connections. Is it perhaps some sort of water lock?

Regards

Marcel

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101451[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101452[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101453[/ATTACH]

the small container is your acetylene producing unit (the gas that's needed to get your headlights working):cool2:

• 9 months later...