WW1 Peugeot

Cel

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I came across it in March of this year by coincidence. Had been looking for a pre-1920 truck for several years, and now I found one on the 'net. I gave the owner a call and found out it missed flywheel and clutch. Two days later my wife and I left for the 1100 km trip to go and take a look, but the decision actually had been taken before we left:D.

Flywheel and clutch are missing, but reproducable. Otherwise it is very complete and the engine is loose. Tinwork is in a very good condition and most of the wood is there to copy. The carb is not original but finding the right one won't be that big of a problem (I guess?). It has only one headlight which seems to be original as there are no mounting holes on the other side. I am not sure of the type yet: 1504, 1515, 1524 or 1525. I'm guessing 1515 or 1524, as the 1504 is only 2,5 ton (it seems heavier) and the 1525 apparently has the radiator with straight edges.

I will be posting pictures of the restoration here, not sure when as there are plenty of other projects going on at the moment.

Marcel

S8304251.JPG

S8304255.JPG

S8304265.JPG

S8304266.JPG

I had a look at the front light today, which is of the make 'Genie' from Paris. On the back of the exhaust it bears the inscription 1914. So far this is the only number that I found, hopefully we will find more when we start the dismantling. We already have a couple of very nice oak trees that we will saw with our sawmill from the early 1900's. But before we start with that, there are first a couple of other projects to finish.

Marcel

• 1 year later...

Restoration has finally started. I took out the engine last week and put it in the workshop so I can spend some winter evenings to take it apart. I took off one crankcase breather, and at a first glance the inside of the engine looks quite good. Before the winter we tested the radiator and it holds water. I did not find a flywheel or clutch yet, so the plan is to fit another flywheel with a normal plate clutch until we find a good one.

Regards

Marcel

DSCN1398.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the engine which I am taking apart.

Crankshaft

I wonder if this is also the serial# for the truck?

Water pump with magneto drive

This is how they compensated the wear

Underneath the top cover

Casting date? 1918

More to follow next year.

Best wishes for 2011!

Marcel

DSCN1647.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1643.jpg

DSCN1644.jpg

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I continued taking the engine apart yesterday and found a (not so pleasant) surprise. I let the pictures speak for themselves. But it could have been worse, one never knows but if it did not have had this problem it might have been worked hard and scrapped afterwards. Now it has been put aside and forgotten, and has survived in a quite good shape. This must also have been the reason that they took off the flywheel and clutch assembly. Otherwise the engine is in a great shape, pistons and bores look to be in excellent shape. One piston has bad rings so I think we will renew all four. One conrod had lost the oil scoop, the parts were found in the sump, no bearing damage at first sight. And the crankshaft is repairable, I'll post pictures as we are progressing.

Marcel

P1150061a.jpg

P1150056a.jpg

P1150042a.jpg

• 2 months later...