Vickers Vimy last flight, landing at Brooklands

Nick Johns

Why is it no longer flying ? I know it's only a replica bt still a fantastic piece to see flying.

It was registered as an experimental aircraft in the USA, this only gave it a certain amount of flying hours, the CAA have been generous to allow it a few flights in the UK since it arrived after the re-enctment of the Transatlantic Crossing a few years ago.

I have heard that one of the concerns that has quashed it's flying career is it's build. Apparently the CAA were rather concerned that it had not been built by qualified aircraft technicians/engineers. Instead it was manufactured by a team of highly proffessional carpenters/cabinet makers. Given that pretty much every aircraft built in the last 70 odd years has been made from sheet metal and that most of us aircraft mechanics wouldn't have a clue about working a wooden and fabric structures; I know who I'd rather have build the aeroplane!

I work on wood and fabric aeroplanes and in my experience the average CAA engineering surveyor should not be allowed out. One of the pilots of the Vimy is a friend of mine who ownes a Pitts S1 that I rebuilt for him, and the wooden wings have put up with me being a hooligan (green stuff above you is ok as long as it`s below on the first and last bits).

Alan