Ysselstein - German Cemetery 31000 buried there

I'm a bit suprised it is so large. Nasty though it may seem to us now, most German cemetries are mass graves. Though there was a desire to grant Commonwealth War graves in perpituty. The granting of cemtrie space for Axis fallen was , probably still is, very contreversial.

I think you'll find that the space alloted to the German equivalent to the CWGC - name forgotten - is pretty secure now. You're right about the problem with land at the time. Especially for the WW2 era - hence the huge ossuaries. The biggest German cem I've been to is at La Targette. 44,000 dead. The ossuary at Mont des Huisnes near Mont St Michel brought together all the local dead - including those from the Channel Islands into one location. It is a very strange place - immensely sad, but designed to impress (it did me anyway).

It was up to the formerly occupied countries to give land to create the German cemeteries. The Netherlands gave a seizable plot so (almost) every German could have a grave for himself. This is the only cemetery on formerly occupied where this is true.

This sounds very noble but the ground in this area is so poor that hardly anything will grow. Also, the first few years most of it was under water for parts of the year due to bad drainage. But still, now that's sorted it's good that they all have a grave of their own.

Also, this is the only German cemetery in the Netherlands. All German dead from the Netherlands are buried here.

I think you'll find that the space alloted to the German equivalent to the CWGC - name forgotten - is pretty secure now. You're right about the problem with land at the time. Especially for the WW2 era - hence the huge ossuaries. The biggest German cem I've been to is at La Targette. 44,000 dead. The ossuary at Mont des Huisnes near Mont St Michel brought together all the local dead - including those from the Channel Islands into one location. It is a very strange place - immensely sad, but designed to impress (it did me anyway).

In Jersey the German cemertry was in the churchyard of St Brelade's Church. A beuatiful place to spend eternity, the sea literally just over the wall. The remains were moved in the early sixtes I think. I'll go through the books.